Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution of a restricted short firearm

Options
  • 10-12-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

How's it going lads? This question has probably been asked before, but i was wondering if it is possible to substitute a centerfire pistol for an existing centerfire pistol. I have looked over the new legislation and cant see anything in it to suggest that a substitution is now prohibited.

I know that the new law states that no new licences will be issued for a centerfire short firearm after the 18th of november 2008, but if you are one of the lucky ones to have got a licence under the new system, does a substitution on to another firearm count as a new licence??

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............... does a substitution on to another firearm count as a new licence??

Yes.

Thats the piece that prohibits substitutions/new applications. Unless you had the firearm licensed prior to 18th Nov/2008 any application for a license will be deemed as a new application and will not be accepted let alone considered.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Would the "like for like" part not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, because of the wording of the "shall not be considered" part.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You *might* be able to convince a judge to interpret the wording another way; but like I said earlier, it's rather unlikely.

Here is three scenarios for you and their outcomes.
    1. New handgun. - New application. - Refused on the basis no new applications for centrefire small firearms will be considered after 18th November 2008. Also trying to get an import license either personally or through an RFD will not happen.
    2. Handgun currently in the state. - New application. - Refused on the basis that although the firearm is already in the state you were not licensed on it before 18th November 2008 and therefore the applicaion stands as a new license application and is refused on the above basis. This includes like for like as a substitution is technically classed as a new license hence the new cert number when you change a firearm.
    3. Current firearm. - Renewal of license. - Approved (subject to conditions of application and "good reason"). You held a license for the firearm on or before 18th November 2008, and as such are seeking "renewal" of the license although it is classed as a new application you are entitled to apply due to the staus mentioned previously.

If any applications other than those above are submitted they will be refused and i assure you they fall into the category of one of the above in some form or another.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

what would happen if you already had a licenced centerfire pistol and the frame was damaged from wear and tear and needed to be replaced ?(saw one recently that had hairline crack on the slide rail of the frame).I take it barrels and slides could be replaced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

what would happen if you already had a licenced centerfire pistol and the frame was damaged from wear and tear and needed to be replaced ?(saw one recently that had hairline crack on the slide rail of the frame).I take it barrels and slides could be replaced ?

Unfortunatly they ( owner of said firearm ) is in a bit of bad luck as the frame of the gun is the gun as such because it contains the serial number.

If is worth a try but generally manufacturers wont replace the frame with a frame of th same serial number. It is somthing worth considering though it the gun is still under warrenty.

another option (if the frame is steel or aluminium) would to be weld and re-machine to its correct tolerances.

would you mind saying what pistol it is ??

No offence, but do not weld any part of a firearm. For no other reason than safety. Under that heading (safety) you are entitled to request replacment part(s).

The fact that the serial may differ is of no consequence. A new slide/barrel with a different serial number can easily be rectified on the license and as there is not another firearm in the state the DOJ would not have an issue with it. I even remember an RFD getting in a trigger mechanism and barrel for a Sig (.40 cal) not 6 months ago. He informed me that this practice is completely okay. It would have to be as the import for the barrel and trigger came from the DOJ. On the form it simply stated "replacement parts".

The only comdition imposed was that the serial number of the faulty part be recorded as with the new one coming in and the faulty parts destroyed or shipped back to manufaturer. (I think all thats correct as i'm working off memory and a 2 minute conversation)

ezridax wrote: »
    No offence, but do not weld any part of a firearm. For no other reason than safety. Under that heading (safety) you are entitled to request replacment part(s).

The fact that the serial may differ is of no consequence. A new slide/barrel with a different serial number can easily be rectified on the license and as there is not another firearm in the state the DOJ would not have an issue with it. I even remember an RFD getting in a trigger mechanism and barrel for a Sig (.40 cal) not 6 months ago. He informed me that this practice is completely okay. It would have to be as the import for the barrel and trigger came from the DOJ. On the form it simply stated "replacement parts".

The only comdition imposed was that the serial number of the faulty part be recorded as with the new one coming in and the faulty parts destroyed or shipped back to manufaturer. (I think all thats correct as i'm working off memory and a 2 minute conversation)

Sorry.. my bad ... i red your origional quote wrong.

No offence taken .... however.... while it is not common practice here, welding a metal framed firearm is perfectly acceptable when done by a competant gunsmith so the safety factor is not a concern.

Also ... IF a firearm is out of warrenty then i doubt that an manufacturer will step up and replace any parts without charging.

No offence taken .... however.... while it is not common practice here, welding a metal framed firearm is perfectly acceptable when done by a competant gunsmith so the safety factor is not a concern.

Very true, but in the case of a handgun where there is not only pressure of the round being discharged there is also the whole moving parts issue. Its just me being paranoid. I would sooner have a new part than one i would be looking at every time i pulled the trigger. I'm not knocking the idea of welding/repairing, but at the cost of such would probably run in and around the same amount as the part itself i would go for the new part.
    Also ... IF a firearm is out of warrenty then i doubt that an manufacturer will step up and replace any parts without charging.

Without doubt. No free lunches. :D

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    Very true, but in the case of a handgun where there is not only pressure of the round being discharged there is also the whole moving parts issue. Its just me being paranoid. I would sooner have a new part than one i would be looking at every time i pulled the trigger. I'm not knocking the idea of welding/repairing, but at the cost of such would probably run in and around the same amount as the part itself i would go for the new part.

Without doubt. No free lunches. :D

I fired a rewelded AK in the US (to comply with ATF law the complete recieve was cut in 3 parts in order for it to be imported) .... ya couldnt even tell it was done !

:eek: that got rid of any speculation I had about rewelds well that and Ive read up on hunderds of articles of smiths who had to do it back in the day when you couldnt buy a race ready 1911...

The reason why i mentioned rewelding in the first place we because i red your post wrong and thought that you couldnt get a replacement frame.

Sorry to the Op ... back to the origional topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

would you mind saying what pistol it is ??

tangfolio 9mm not sure which model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

sig sauer will sell you a new pistol with the same serial number as your old one if you send them the old pistol first, i presume they would do the same thing with major component parts , eg frames or slides etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rowa wrote: »
    sig sauer will sell you a new pistol with the same serial number as your old one if you send them the old pistol first, i presume they would do the same thing with major component parts , eg frames or slides etc.

That's very cool

I wonder would other manufacturers do similar?

Advertisement