Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

mox54 wrote: »
    it'snice to hear the bedgrudgers and whingers and cheap talk artists are still alive and well, agreed he was overpaid and overhyped but that's not his fault, Gerry was v good at what he did and was lucky to do it, he knew that too as for the coke thing, the whole bloody country was/is doing coke so lets keep it realistic, no need to put the guy down< he's unable to defend himself and he would rip most of ye to shreds
    Credibility: zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mox54 wrote: »
    it'snice to hear the bedgrudgers and whingers and cheap talk artists are still alive and well, agreed he was overpaid and overhyped but that's not his fault, Gerry was v good at what he did and was lucky to do it, he knew that too as for the coke thing, the whole bloody country was/is doing coke so lets keep it realistic, no need to put the guy down< he's unable to defend himself and he would rip most of ye to shreds

Rip us to shreds? What, is he going to come back as a zombie or something?

You need to chill out boy, ryan was an over-rated radio hack who stuck a bunch of columbian marching powder up his nose that made his heart go boom-diddy-boom-diddy-boom-diddy-boom-diddy-boom-boom-BOOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i agree he was a legend ,one thing just came to mind will they try find his supplier like they did with that model girl Kathy
    I hope they don't try any harder than they did with any other person who supplies our nation's other junkies. Just because he had a radio show doesn't mean he was any more important than anyone else, or that his family miss him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

gauche nouveau

what is that? if not gash nova pronounced by D4 types

when trash meets money. adds to my repertoire ;-

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have no opinion of Gerry Ryan because I never listened to his show. But if he ever had an anti-drug item on his show and I suspect he did over the years. Then he looks pretty hypocritical now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

53 years old + being overweight + lots of stress + cocaine = heart attack. Seriously in a way he killed himself. Ok he maybe couldn't avoid stress but taking coke at his age? Thats feckin crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Watching Dr. Phil is not studying psychology. What you've come out with there is the worst of pop psychology tripe and nonsense. Ryan spouted a right wing anti drug agenda because it kept him at the top of the radio earnings because more sheep tuned in to hjs rantings than anywhere else. Giveme a break he did coke because he was gauche and nouveau as were his friends. Doing coke was the most gauche nouveau thing a person could do.

Nail and head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Ryan Line is Now Open

>>
    ..\.........................

...............>>
    .................\........

.......................>>
    ........................\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I hope they don't try any harder than they did with any other person who supplies our nation's other junkies. Just because he had a radio show doesn't mean he was any more important than anyone else, or that his family miss him more.

well kathy was not as important as gerry imo no disrespect to the girl at all but they bent over backwards to find her supplier.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

In fairness, I do feel sorry for the family, but the last thing this country needed was another fat, crass, over paid arrogant middle aged man telling housewives what to think. That's what Joe Duffy is for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mikom wrote: »
    "In a statement revealed moments ago by an RTE spokes person it has been confirmed that the recent account of Gerry Ryans death contained a spelling error, the actual cause of death has been announced as a smug overdose"

Fixed your post.

If you can overdose in smugness, I think hospitals near Simon Cowells gaff should have a bed ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Bosco boy wrote: »
    So what! He wasn't perfect! He said it nearly ever day on the radio, he was a decent guy, with a great talent and it's a pity he isn't around in the current climate to call a spade a spade, legend! rip
    Call a spade a spade!! I remember the day after the bank guarentee was given listening to his show in the truck on a drive down to Cork and he said it was no biggy in the grand scale of things. What's a few billion between friends or some such ****e. Pity he's not around now to explain that to the poor feckers who are disabled,blind or the carers who have just taken an almighty kick in the bollox from our government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Mister men wrote: »
    Call a spade a spade!! I remember the day after the bank guarentee was given listening to his show in the truck on a drive down to Cork and he said it was no biggy in the grand scale of things. What's a few billion between friends or some such ****e. Pity he's not around now to explain that to the poor feckers who are disabled,blind or the carers who have just taken an almighty kick in the bollox from our government.

the few went to eighty plus big diff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

duckysauce wrote: »
    the few went to eighty plus big diff
    No ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

No ****

sherlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

Pity he's not around now to explain that to the poor feckers who are disabled,blind or the carers who have just taken an almighty kick in the bollox from our government.

It is a pity because he would have reasoned on it and put all you begrudgers, oneupmanship huers and just bitter folks in their place.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Seems Gerry wasnt as far removed from the Boards.ie that he impugned regularly. Except we only joke about it and arent hypocrites.

My only comment (not having read the previous 11 pages) is "why is anyone even vaguely surprised"?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I felt well sorry for his son Rex, he looked hurt and devastated as any young person would be after the death of a parent.

He didn't sign up for this kind of media hyperbole. Gerry Ryan was a human being exactly like loads of people I know, he fcuked up now and then. He tried to do his best, especially bt his kids.

I really think the media should back off on this one. The thing that makes me sick is the hypocrites at RTE will distance themselves from the circumstances surrouning his death. In the sense that they were all probably doing the same and will now rush to crucify him.

I think Gerry Ryan was a professinal, I remember him more in the early years when he helped re-shape legal Irish radio. Through his later years I listened much less, he did get on my nerves at times. But, as much as he'd get on my nerves at other times I'd chuckle at his chat.

Anyway, I won't join the bandwagon to vilify him. I feel sad for him and his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

On leaving the coronors court Gerry's partner, Melanie looked stright at the cameras. She seems like an honest person and quite open about their relationship and what she went through. His estranged wife however had the dark shades on and looked like she had a lot of work done. She seems more 'hidden' and secretive. She also had her son there supporting her. While Melanie had a friend. I don't think Melanie wanted her son to go through that process. If I recall it correctly, he found the body with her. She seems like a much more down to earth person.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I'll miss him playing I'm the man who slits the turkeys throat at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

UPCurley wrote: »
    On leaving the coronors court Gerry's partner, Melanie looked stright at the cameras. She seems like an honest person and quite open about their relationship and what she went through. His wife however had the dark shades on and looked like she had a lot of work done. She seems more 'hidden' and secretive. She also had her son there supporting her. While Melanie had a friend. I don't think Melanie wanted her son to go through that process. If I recall it correctly, he found the body with her. She seems like a much more down to earth person.

I just wouldn't judge any of them.

I know one thing of Maura and Gerry Ryan, their main focus was their kids. No matter their faults. They protected the kids from everything they could.

For that I respect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Isn't it amazing that how you die will define how you are remembered?

Instead of being remembered as a glorified Dickhead, he will now be remembered as a glorified cokehead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Say what you like about GR, I enjoyed his show when I had the chance to listen. I always found him to be the more honest radio presenter out of all available.

I'd be on the coke if my marriage broke down and had to put up with RTE execs too!

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

What does the discovery of cocaine mean to his life insurance policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭George Orwell 1982

Is there any suggestion that he intended to kill himself? His partner talked about all the stress he was under, on xanax and sleeping tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

DubDani wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound mean, but why does his death require an inquest that probably costs the state quite a bit of money again?

He is dead, and if they are sure that he was not killed, then that's it. If I would die under the same circumstances, then there wouldn't be an inquest either.

Complete waste of taxpayers money IMO.

If you die on your own, I'm pretty sure there has to be an inquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

stimpson wrote: »
    So is it time to have regular blood tests for all RTE staff on 6 figure salaries?

I'd love to know what The Plank is on

Ronseal.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

I'd be on the coke if my marriage broke down

coke was possibly the reason the marriage broke down. . . unless she was on it as well. . . who knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Is there any suggestion that he intended to kill himself? His partner talked about all the stress he was under, on xanax and sleeping tablets.

No, It was only a small amount of cocaine that was found in his system i think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DeVore wrote: »
    Seems Gerry wasnt as far removed from the Boards.ie that he impugned regularly. .........

???????????????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement