Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

I just wouldn't judge any of them.

I know one thing of Maura and Gerry Ryan, their main focus was their kids. No matter their faults. They protected the kids from everything they could.

For that I respect them.

Ya, sorry, you are right. I guess I just found it surprising that she brought her young son with her. I imagined as a parent you would protect the kids from it. She may just be more delicate and might need that and I was surprised at the amount of plastic surgery she had. Whereas Melanie looked like a stronger person. I didn't mean to judge them. I am sure Gerrys estranged wife would find it harder as even through she had separated from him, she seems to be more image concious and would probably be more devastated about the inquest result and the public interest in it as she is private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I dont see why this is getting the amount of media coverage that it is. I feel bad for his family but who gives a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

UPCurley wrote: »
    On leaving the coronors court Gerry's partner, Melanie looked stright at the cameras. She seems like an honest person and quite open about their relationship and what she went through. His wife however had the dark shades on and looked like she had a lot of work done. She seems more 'hidden' and secretive. She also had her son there supporting her. While Melanie had a friend. I don't think Melanie wanted her son to go through that process. If I recall it correctly, he found the body with her. She seems like a much more down to earth person.

and you base this opinion on what exactly - a 30 second clip. Amazes me how you know both women so well. His wife keeps her counsel and wears shades and she is some secretive, dark, closed woman compared to the free spirit... my god some people

I guess I'm also one of the niaeve ones. I'm surprised and shocked that he as a family man would take drugs. Especially cocaine. Surely however he protected his kids, he shouldn't have been taking drugs at his age and as a father. It must have impacted on his protection of his kids surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Ya, sorry, you are right. I guess I just found it surprising that she brought her young son with her. I imagined as a parent you would protect the kids from it. She may just be more delicate and might need that and I was surprised at the amount of plastic surgery she had.

I think Rex is 22 or so. Maura is inseperable from her kids. I imagine GR's oldest child and son would have instisted on taking his Mother to the Inquest revelations. After all who else would take her? If it was me at that age I would take my Mother.

I'm not aware of her having anything like you say. Look at her years ago. She's always had full lips and good bone structure. If anything the black glasses hide much of her face. I don't think she looks 'worked on'
    Maybe I'm wrong but she looks the exact same as she did 2 years ago when the marriage split announcement was made. She made exctly 2 very low key public appearances in the time between her split and GR's death.

In both cases she was in a group shot very modestly dressed. I never got the impression she was any kind of attention seeker. And she had ample opportunity. To me when she was young she resembled Anne Hathaway. Huge brown eyes. Delicate features, full lips and amazing natural teeth!!
    Whereas Melanie looked like a stronger person. I didn't mean to judge them. I am sure Gerrys wife would find it harder as even through she had separated from him, she seems to be more image concious and would probably be more devastated about the inquest result and the public interest in it as she is private.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DamoRed wrote: »
    What does the discovery of cocaine mean to his life insurance policy?

up the creek me thinks:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

We like to blame the Bankers,Politicians,Developers and whatever-youre -havi ng-yourself for the situation we find ourselves in.But is there anyone out there who thinks coke had its part to play too?
    Truly,we lost the run of ourselves.
    How many of you were out for a night and watched people duckin in and out of the jacks all night,and come back out barking at you,each other,etc,etc?
    How many of you saw your friends/family members etc. personalities change as they became more and more besotted with cocaine?
    How many of you have used cocaine?
    I have.
    And you know what?
    It was great.Made me feel like a million dollars.Invincible.
    And when it wore off,I wanted more,straight away.
    I'm not proud of this,or ashamed either.I dont do coke anymore.In fact the thought of doing coke makes me feel kinda nauseous.Its dull and superficial to me now.
    Cocaine was the perfect drug for the times we were living in.Gods way of telling you you had too much money and all that.
    I'm sure there are many,many people like myself out there,who had the crack when times were good.
    I didnt like Gerry Ryan,or dislike him either.
    But I felt so sorry for his wife,family and those close to him today.And for him.
    And for us.
    How far we have risen.And how far we have fallen.

and you base this opinion on what exactly - a 30 second clip. Amazes me how you know both women so well. His estranged wife keeps her counsel and wears shades and she is some secretive, dark, closed woman compared to the free spirit... my god some people

I'm sorry. I don't mean to upset you. I'm devasted about this inquest myself. I just based this observation on hearing/reading interviews, etc. after Gerry passed away. I just think both women have a different way about them. Melanie seems open based on my observation and his estranged wife seems more closed and more media savvy. She's quite image consious and Melanie seems more real. Neither is better than the other. Just different. One is strong and one is more delicate seeming. And just when people are saying how they protected their children, I find it upsetting that his young son is there.

I don't know both women well at all. I guess I am just caught up in this sorry story too like everyone else here. Everyone is claiming to know Gerry when they didn't and I am just observing the women in his life too. I have nothing but respect of Gerry RIP.

You sound upset and again I'm sorry if I have upset you. I'm just devestated myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I never liked him. I read his autobiography two years ago and he came across as an arrogant berk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

None of us are perfect.

Gerry did a bit of coke, or probably more than a bit. He also liked to over indulge in fine spirits and food. He broke up with his wife of many years and was seperated from his five kids which he obviously dearly loved.

Was he obnoxious? Maybe so. Was he a hypocrite? Sure he was! Was he a good bloke? Most definitely in my opinion!

Ok, so he was of the opinion that doing a bit of coke wasn't really junkie status. I'm sure there's plenty of us out there that have done some 'harmless' drugs and don't consider ourselves part of the drug culture.

I'm no saint myself, drink plenty, do the odd bit of grass now and again (which I see as harmless whether it is or not), yet strongly disapprove of heroin junkies but will tolerate the occasional 'sociable coke user'.

At the end of the day GR was human just like the rest of us - he didn't consider his own drug useage as junkie status just like I don't consider my fondness of good beer as alcoholism. He did a good job and whether you liked him or not he deserves respect for same. My mother listened to him for 20 years: 3hours a day, 5 days a week - she considered Gerry a friend and was devastated when he died - still is!

I'm sorry. I don't mean to upset you. I'm devasted about this inquest myself. I just based this observation on hearing/reading interviews, etc. after Gerry passed away. I just think both women have a different way about them. Melanie seems open based on my observation and his estranged wife seems more closed and more media savvy. She's quite image consious and Melanie seems more real.

Really, Morah Ryan is only 'media savvy' in the way that she shuns the media and is just a private person who happened to marry someone that went from a broadcaster in the 80's to a modern 'celebrity'

She by no means cultivated that kind of noteriety at all, ever. Ireland is full of media whores but she isn't one.
    Neither is better than the other. Just different. One is strong and one is more delicate seeming. And just when people are saying how they protected their children, I find it upsetting that his young son is there.

'seeming' being the operative word, we don't know. Anyway I hate all this Princess Diana stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

So what if he enjoyed his life and the few drinks and a snort now and again!
    R.I.P. Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Is there any suggestion that he intended to kill himself? His partner talked about all the stress he was under, on xanax and sleeping tablets.
    Coke use causes anxiety and stress. And he had almost certainly been doing it for years. I'd be very surprised if he intended to do himself any harm.

Really, Morah Ryan is only 'media savvy' in the way that she shuns the media and is just a private person who happened to marry someone that went from a broadcaster in the 80's to a modern 'celebrity'

She by no means cultivated that kind of noteriety at all, ever. Ireland is full of media whores but she isn't one.

'seeming' being the operative word, we don't know. Anyway I hate all this Princess Diana stuff!

You are still upset with me. I'm sorry. 'Seeming' meaning that she needed to bring her son with her. Gerry's partner brought a friend as she possibly didn't think it appropriate to bring her child. I guess that I just meant the Melanie is a strong person and I guess I read a lot about how she was allegedly 'shut-out' of the process as Gerry's extranged wife was legally more powerful than her even though Melanie loved Gerry very much. I just feel sorry for the woman and think she is a really strong person and was so good for Gerry. Unfortunately, it's too late for him now and she is devestated.

I hate all of this 'Princess Diana' stuff too. but I guess if it was your partner/husband/wife, if wouldn be 'princess diana' anymore but 'grim reality' and 'life'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

bmarley wrote: »
    So what if he enjoyed his life and the few drinks and a snort now and again!
    R.I.P. Gerry
    I agree entirely, if only he didn't go on the radio banging on about how evil drugs and criminal gangs were. He was a customer of those criminal gangs, taking hard drugs even though he had a family to look after. As was stated early in the thread, it's the hypocrisy that annoys people. He was a hypocrite, like the Catholic church who told us to do one thing and did another themselves. That's all. I'm not happy he's dead or anything, but let's not make a saint out of the guy - he was a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No surprises with the result. I must say, how sad and pathetic must Gerry have been, that at aged 54 he was a coke junkie. I mean, you might expect that with a twentsomething, but 54 years of age and a junkie? Very sad for his children to have to know this about their dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bengalcat

Coke use causes anxiety and stress. And he had almost certainly been doing it for years. I'd be very surprised if he intended to do himself any harm.

Yes but the fact that he had been prescribed xanax and sleeping pills by his gp suggests to me he was using them as downers to couteract the copious amounts of coke he was using, long term.

At the same time he was pontificating against the nastieness of the Westies or what ever group, feulled and funded by drugs.

A very well paid hypocrite. Ex-hypocrite. :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tigger wrote: »
    If you can call someone who can't answer back a dickhead then I assume it's on if I call you a cunt
    Gerry Ryan regularly attacked Boards.ie but every time we offered to go on the show, his researchers didnt bother to respond to us. Then he had the nerve to say "Boards.ie were not available to comment" on his bull****.

So, that rather turns your point on itself.... no?

DeV.

ps: I do feel sorry for his kids but only one person dragged them through this because of his life choices and I'll give you a hint: he's dead.

You are still upset with me. I'm sorry. 'Seeming' meaning that she needed to bring her son with her. Gerry's partner brought a friend as she possibly didn't think it appropriate to bring her child. I guess that I just meant the Melanie is a strong person and I guess I read a lot about how she was allegedly 'shut-out' of the process as Gerry's extranged wife was legally more powerful than her even though Melanie loved Gerry very much. I just feel sorry for the woman and think she is a really strong person and was so good for Gerry. Unfortunately, it's too late for him now and she is devestated.

I hate all of this 'Princess Diana' stuff too. but I guess if it was your partner/husband/wife, if wouldn be 'princess diana' anymore but 'grim reality' and 'life'.

Ah no. I'm not a bit upset with you! Don't worry, no need to say 'sorry' -I think Melanie seems a very lovely, dignified person too. I agree with you there.

I don't think Melanie was 'shut out' but I don't know. I really don't. I wouldn't surmise anything like that really. She seems a smart and strong person, if something like that did happen I'm sure it will come out eventually.

She was certainly shocked by the drugs involvment.

As for Morah's 'child' being there. The lad is an adult and it's his fathers Inquest, I'd guess he made his own mind up to be there?? I know I would if I were the eldest adult child in the family. I really don't think it's a woman manipulating her children for the media.

If she was like that we'd hear from her every two minutes on radio and TV like bloody Boyzone mentioning 'Stevos' name every two seconds just to get in print. That makes me sick!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

DeVore wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan regularly attacked Boards.ie but every time we offered to go on the show, his researchers didnt bother to respond to us. Then he had the nerve to say "Boards.ie were not available to comment" on his bull****.

So, that rather turns your point on itself.... no?

DeV.

ps: I do feel sorry for his kids but only one person dragged them through this because of his life choices and I'll give you a hint: he's dead.

What did he say, might I ask? (A google search just brings up mentions of his death...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I liked him. Even I think that an inquest was a bit unneeded. He died at a young age. Clearly something was wrong.

Another reason to stress the family.

Ah no. I'm not a bit upset with you! Don't worry, no need to say 'sorry' -I think Melanie seems a very lovely, dignified person too. I agree with you there.

Thanks. You're very gracious.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If she was like that we'd hear from her every two minutes on radio and TV like bloody Boyzone mentioning 'Stevos' name every two seconds just to get in print. That makes me sick!!!

Maybe if she wants a statue of Gerry, like Boyzone wanted for Gately, another druggy death.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

[QUOTE........... to couteract the copious amounts of coke he was using, long term.

[/QUOTE]

there's been no evidence that he was using copious amounts of coke. I think the word used was 'traces'.

I liked the show in the early 90's, there was nothing else like it in those days. But the man became a monster, over inflated with his own self importance, fuelled by the massive rte salary...esentially paid for by us.

Big fish in a small pond. - sad

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mr Chuckles

Does the public service wage limit of 250K announced in the budget apply to people in RTE ? How can it be justified that people on low incomes or who are unemployed have to pay a tv licence to fund the lifestyle of people like Gerry Ryan, who at best was a medicore dj.

Taceom wrote: »
    [QUOTE........... to couteract the copious amounts of coke he was using, long term.

there's been no evidence that he was using copious amounts of coke. I think the word used was 'traces'.[/QUOTE]

You are right, no evidence at all, maybe he was just really really unlucky and waited til the age of 50 odd to do a few lines and unfortunately it didnt agree with him.... at all. the zanax and sleeping pills are of course purely coincidental aswell. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Does the public service wage limit of 250K announced in the budget apply to people in RTE ? How can it be justified that people on low incomes or who are unemployed have to pay a tv licence to fund the lifestyle of people like Gerry Ryan, who at best was a medicore dj.

No. RTE 'stars' are contractors who are free to negotiate their own rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭LarrytheLantern

Gerry Ryan was a complete hypocrite taking cocaine and then preaching to the nation about drug pushers etc and he was the very one supporting 'gang land killing' for a better word. So disappointed as I really really enjoyed his show.:(

agree 100%. i recall his show after that poor apprentice plumber lad Anthony Campbell, was butchered along with Marlo Hyland. The last moments of terror that poor kid experienced must have been sheer hell ........... and how GR bleated on & on about it, whilst he himself was supporting/financing these murdering scumbags. Makes me sick tbh.

Raises a whole lot of questions.
    Who was suppling him? 1 of his heartbroken so-called "rock 'n roll" buddies perhaps?:rolleyes:
    Is it not now time to slash the wages/contracts of these RTE primadonnas?
    What exactly was his g/f's role in all this? Is she as innocent as she makes out? I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement