Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

DeVore wrote: »
    Gerry Ryan regularly attacked Boards.ie but every time we offered to go on the show, his researchers didnt bother to respond to us. Then he had the nerve to say "Boards.ie were not available to comment" on his bull****.

So, that rather turns your point on itself.... no?

DeV.

ps: I do feel sorry for his kids but only one person dragged them through this because of his life choices and I'll give you a hint: he's dead.

Dev/Tom

hi
    i was sick in bed on and off for a good bit in the late 80's and back then gerry was relevant and good so i'll always have a spot in my heart for him,, before what he was became bloated and commercial and only a allusion of what it awas and could have been

much as i'll always have a soft spot for what ye do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Gerry Ryan regularly attacked Boards.ie but every time we offered to go on the show, his researchers didnt bother to respond to us. Then he had the nerve to say "Boards.ie were not available to comment" on his bull****.

DeV.

Well to be fair, users on Boards regularly attacked Gerry Ryan.. I'm sure I said some fairly negative things about him myself and was never fan of his. But whatever grievances you or I or anyone else had with him does not mean that everyone should view him in the same light..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

He should have manned up, logged on and had a few lols. If he spent more time trolling/trawling for lols he'd have had less time for charlie and heavy cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I think Rex is 22 or so. Maura is inseperable from her kids. I imagine GR's oldest child and son would have instisted on taking his Mother to the Inquest revelations. After all who else would take her? If it was me at that age I would take my Mother.

I'm not aware of her having anything like you say. Look at her years ago. She's always had full lips and good bone structure. If anything the black glasses hide much of her face. I don't think she looks 'worked on'
    Maybe I'm wrong but she looks the exact same as she did 2 years ago when the marriage split announcement was made. She made exctly 2 very low key public appearances in the time between her split and GR's death.

In both cases she was in a group shot very modestly dressed. I never got the impression she was any kind of attention seeker. And she had ample opportunity. To me when she was young she resembled Anne Hathaway. Huge brown eyes. Delicate features, full lips and amazing natural teeth!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noticed mrs Ryans picture in the Irish Mail a few times this past 2 weeks and they do not do her justice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

bengalcat wrote: »
    I liked the show in the early 90's, there was nothing else like it in those days. But the man became a monster, over inflated with his own self importance, fuelled by the massive rte salary...esentially paid for by us.
    i feel a touch of jealousy there the radio has changed since gerry died it aint the same anymore and nobody done radio like him ,what i have to laugh at is all the pri#ks in here who jump in and say bad things so for all those have you ever done coke or any of your mates done coke or do you know others that do it i bet you still talk to them and dont slate them over it ,if you say no your the hipocrits ,and as for tubridy doin coke that is a no no for sure he will retire as a priest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

walshb wrote: »
    Maybe if she wants a statue of Gerry, like Boyzone wanted for Gately, another druggy death.

If she does I'll be eating me words ! and backpeddling like a FF backbencher!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bengalcat

Well to be fair, users on Boards regularly attacked Gerry Ryan.. I'm sure I said some fairly negative things about him myself and was never fan of his. But whatever grievances you or I or anyone else had with him does not mean that everyone should view him in the same light..

Each to their own of course, but G Ryan had the exaulted position of being on air to the nation, or a large section of it, for 15 hours a week. He had a charismatic air in that he could cajole a certain segment of the listenership over to his point of view. What now turns out to be a very hypocritical one. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 bengalcat

barney4001 wrote: »
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noticed mrs Ryans picture in the Irish Mail a few times this past 2 weeks and they do not do her justice

Unlke the ones that were carefuly released as she launched herself as an "artist" soonish after the split from Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

+1 LOL

Sounds sh!te alright, but I doubt he had editorial decision making power. My impression is twords the end of his career he operated in a sort of professional straight-jacket -he shouldn't have gone along with it of course but things are never as simple as they seem in media, albeit 'fair comment' bound sites like boards. But I suspect hugely in RTE which I suspect is far from a 'free speech' environment to work in.
    ps: I do feel sorry for his kids but only one person dragged them through this because of his life choices and I'll give you a hint: he's dead.

Yes, fair comment. But Gerry Ryan was more a personality than an 'X-Factor' type celebrity. He didn't originally court noteriety in the sense that it's meant today, as in full Celeb spotlight on his life.

He came to fame before that meant what it does now. Yes, he certainly changed from his early 'free speech' incarnation to a reluctant RTE puppet in laterlife. No doubt he lost the way. I really lost interest in him at this time or well before to be honest.

But I still feel sad for his kids etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

A mate had him in his taxi a few years ago and was telling us he was outta his box chewing away when talking. So not surprised and nor could i give a fúck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

A mate had him in his taxi a few years ago and was telling us he was outta his box chewing away when talking. So not surprised and nor could i give a fúck.

are you sure that wasn't his dog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

DeV.

Quoted for history :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

Dear Cheap Thrills,
    You just attributed a quote to me that I didn't make above.
    Kindly retract.
    Thank you.

UPCurley wrote: »
    Dear Cheap Thrills,
    Kindly retract.
    Thank you.

:eek::( I hereby refute all my allegators!!:(

What was it?

Dearest Cheapthrills,
    The word 'above' may help you in your search.
    Regards,
    UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Anyone seen the Gerry Ryan 80's rap against drugs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVWtLx8ax9k

UPCurley wrote: »
    Dear Cheap Thrills,
    Kindly retract.
    Thank you.

I wholeheartedly and unreservedly apologise to UPCurley!!!!

I wrongly quoted a post by DeVore as belonging to UPCurly. Corrected post and sincere apologies UPCurley :o

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I agree entirely, if only he didn't go on the radio banging on about how evil drugs and criminal gangs were. He was a customer of those criminal gangs, taking hard drugs even though he had a family to look after. As was stated early in the thread, it's the hypocrisy that annoys people. He was a hypocrite, like the Catholic church who told us to do one thing and did another themselves. That's all. I'm not happy he's dead or anything, but let's not make a saint out of the guy - he was a hypocrite.

We could blame all things in Irish society on the Catholic church and our upbringings and I know too they have a lot to answer for. Only Gerry's family themselves know if he didn't his best for them. People are making all sorts of presumptions and accusations here. Maybe he was an occasional user of whatever...and that was his business really. His job..(and it was a job, not a vocation) in the public media meant that he had to discuss news of media interest. Of course he was controversial, but that is what made his show interesting...he wanted to involve all sectors of society in his discussions. He was hardly going to announce on air that he enjoyed that bit of charlie last night. I wouldn't think of him as a criminal or a hyprocrite because he enjoyed or needed something that he had to get off the black market. Well, he can't answer for himself now anyway so may he rest in peace and hope his family can find peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I never could listen to the man, but I remember saying to a few people when he died, I bet he was a big coke head and that killed him, everyone said I was wrong then.

well ha to them.. you have to some addiction to go through his salary over the years and be bankrupt

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The difference is that on here, he had a right to reply.

Up in his million euro ivory tower, we weren't afforded that courtesy.

Thats more hypocrisy.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

bengalcat wrote: »
    I liked the show in the early 90's, there was nothing else like it in those days. But the man became a monster, over inflated with his own self importance, fuelled by the massive rte salary...esentially paid for by us.
    i feel a touch of jealousy there the radio has changed since gerry died it aint the same anymore and nobody done radio like him ,what i have to laugh at is all the pri#ks in here who jump in and say bad things so for all those have you ever done coke or any of your mates done coke or do you know others that do it i bet you still talk to them and dont slate them over it ,if you say no your the hipocrits ,and as for tubridy doin coke that is a no no for sure he will retire as a priest
    every one... and I dont mean some, lots or the majority, I mean every single last one of my mates/acquaintances who ever took coke, became an unbearable arsehole on the stuff. I told them that and avoided their company if they were using.

I'm not a prude, do what you please to your body, but dont go on national radio and preach about the evils of the very stuff you ingest.

DeV.

patrickc wrote: »
    I never could listen to the man, but I remember saying to a few people when he died, I bet he was a big coke head and that killed him, everyone said I was wrong then.

well ha to them.. you have to some addiction to go through his salary over the years and be bankrupt

Work colleagues said the same to me, but I didn't believe it to be honest. I thought it was just vicious rumours. I was really shocked to hear that. I think a lot of people were. Especially the older generation who grew up with him. Not everyones lifestyle changed over the last few years when the economy was booming. Gerry ryan was part of that shift and went out to the best restaurants, had a great social life, travelled, etc. Most of Ireland who grew up with him in the 80's life stayed the same. That is why it is so shocking to a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

The difference is that on here, he had a right to reply.

Up in his million euro ivory tower, we weren't afforded that courtesy.

Thats more hypocrisy.

DeV.

what other djs have replied to you dev ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    what other djs have replied to you dev ?

Marty Whelan I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

This thread has gone to shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I think its a safe bet that RTE Christmas special will be cancelled now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sababear

The woman on the news practically said he was having a hard time and he was seriously ill which probably means he killed himself i think it might have been all to do with the ex wife she looks like a bit of a nuicence to be honest.

He will be missed no matter what
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Sababear wrote: »
    The woman on the news practically said he was having a hard time and he was seriously ill which probably means he killed himself i think it might have been all to do with the ex wife she looks like a bit of a nuicence to be honest.

dry up, if you knew him his ex wasn't the problem

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Sababear wrote: »

sweet jesus what a retarded thing to say..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement