Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

DeVore wrote: »
    every one... and I dont mean some, lots or the majority, I mean every single last one of my mates/acquaintances who ever took coke, became an unbearable arsehole on the stuff. I told them that and avoided their company if they were using.

I'm not a prude, do what you please to your body, but dont go on national radio and preach about the evils of the very stuff you ingest.

DeV.

Tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are. Coke doesnt turn people into assholes, it just reveals their true personas...

I've been around recreational coke users for at least 15 years now...some are cnuts, some are not, same as many of my non-coke using friends...

Go prude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

duckysauce wrote: »
    dry up, if you knew him his ex wasn't the problem
    I heard a couple of years ago that his wife was a big time user, much worse than him. Never believed it as if it ever became public his career would be ruined, didnt believe he'd be so stupid. He was practically using tax payers money (wages) to fund criminality when you think about it... I somehow doubt he's the only one in RTE or in his circle of friends thats using it

walshb wrote: »
    No surprises with the result. I must say, how sad and pathetic must Gerry have been, that at aged 54 he was a coke junkie. I mean, you might expect that with a twentsomething, but 54 years of age and a junkie? Very sad for his children to have to know this about their dad.

I love these kind of idiotic quotes from people who have no knowledge of recreational drug use...

To call someone a "junkie" just because they were found with drugs in their system!

Haha..I know plenty of people from all professions, from doctors to solicitors who love gettin wrecked on coke and pills at the weekend but are no way near "junkies"...just people who like to live it up...

And then to think someone who is 54 couldn't be fond of drugs lol...ever hear of The Rolling Stones??
    (Probably not actually!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I agree entirely, if only he didn't go on the radio banging on about how evil drugs and criminal gangs were. He was a customer of those criminal gangs, taking hard drugs even though he had a family to look after. As was stated early in the thread, it's the hypocrisy that annoys people. He was a hypocrite, like the Catholic church who told us to do one thing and did another themselves. That's all. I'm not happy he's dead or anything, but let's not make a saint out of the guy - he was a hypocrite.

The greatest (not very flashy) thing celebrities ever did was to convince a plebeian public that they were 'sincere'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alijesse

A drug user there is no such thing as a 'recreational' drug user... just ask the children...absolure SHAME no excuses no explanations...should that be done to any child????????????????????????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

alijesse wrote: »
    A drug user there is no such thing as a 'recreational' drug user... just ask the children...absolure SHAME no excuses no explanations...should that be done to any child????????????????????????????

ask his kids they love him - u d
    ]
    ck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The inquest raised two key questions that have not been answered.

Obviously who sold him the coke - he's hardly likely to of risked anyone who might expose or blackmail him ?

His current partner spoke of him going pale when he received late night text messages. Who were they from ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

A drug user there is no such thing as a 'recreational' drug user... just ask the children

And the impotent drug user, how do you see that panning out?

Discodog wrote: »
    The inquest raised two key questions that have not been answered.

Obviously who sold him the coke - he's hardly likely to of risked anyone who might expose or blackmail him ?

His current partner spoke of him going pale when he received late night text messages. Who were they from ?.

its not Diana he died Jayus leave the man alone

Of course his kids must love him..but that does not take away what has transpired...he was a total a**hole who disregarded his childrens feelings completely...no excuse...he broke their hearts...50something man who wouldnt survive without drugs V little girl who needs her daddy, drug free, not such a difficult choice?????????

• Advertisement

Of course his kids must love him..but that does not take away what has transpired...he was a total a**hole who disregarded his childrens feelings completely...no excuse...he broke their hearts...50something man who wouldnt survive without drugs V little girl who needs her daddy, drug free, not such a difficult choice?????????

don't think his family think the same as you ::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Of course there is such thing...I'll give you an example...

When I go to a live gig I usually take some form of drugs...pills or coke to enhance the experience...if I'm at a house party and there's some coke being done I'll have a cheeky line...

Between gigs, festivals, parties etc...I would probably do class As maybe 10-12 weekends a year...along with many of my professional friends...i.e. the people who prescribe you meds, dispense your meds and defend others in court...

You see we are all well to do, middle class professionals who like to take drugs every now and then without them having any major impact on our lives..i.e RECREATIONAL DRUG USERS!

ebixa82 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

Of course there is such thing...I'll give you an example...

When I go to a live gig I usually take some form of drugs...pills or coke to enhance the experience...if I'm at a house party and there's some coke being done I'll have a cheeky line...

Between gigs, festivals, parties etc...I would probably do class As maybe 10-12 weekends a year...along with many of my professional friends...i.e. the people who prescribe you meds, dispense your meds and defend others in court...

You see we are all well to do, middle class professionals who like to take drugs every now and then without them having any major impact on our lives..i.e RECREATIONAL DRUG USERS!
    And naturally it has never done any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The only information in the public domain regarding the extent of Gerry Ryan's cocaine consumption is that there was a small amount of it in his body at the time of his death.

We cannot infer from such limited information that he was a coke head, a recreational user or never in his life before used the stuff. It could have been any of those three. It's not anyone's business but his family's and partner's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

yes this is true but the amount of couples i know that do it on the weekends is madness
    i reckon we should ease off GR for the sake of his family,i hope all those so called rec coke users look at this and realize they're just as irresponsible
    as Gerry,
    they just didn't OD........yet

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Got through most of this and then got bored.
    Celebrity dies from coke use. People are shocked.
    AH calls him a hypocrite for doing coke, while most of them do coke themselves, or have done it at some point.

Then you have those whining about the dealers, but are quite willing to buy hash from the same people (cue the cannabis should be legal brigade, who completely miss the point that they are still funding the same scum as those who dabble in cocaine).

Gerry Ryan partook in the use of illegal drugs. By AH rules, that makes him a skanger / knacker / scumbag or whatever.
    Just take your own actions into account before you lay into a dead man.

Yours sincerely,
    A retired skanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

because he took drugs , will he be remembered as a monster ?

if it was a few valium or anti-depressants (that half the country are on) instead of coke , he would still be remembered as a hero .

Coke does make people unbearable when they are high , self important - but at the end of the day the only person they are harming is themselves or there close ones - get over it ireland

And naturally it has never done any harm

Sorry still laughing at your previous comment...:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The only information in the public domain regarding the extent of Gerry Ryan's cocaine consumption is that there was a small amount of it in his body at the time of his death.

We cannot infer from such limited information that he was a coke head, a recreational user or never in his life before used the stuff. It could have been any of those three. It's not anyone's business but his family's and partner's.

But i think we can say, from the evidence at the Inquest added to the anecdotal evidence, that he was a regular user of cocaine.

Not that matters a whole lot; but it does leave a slightly bad taste in the mouth when one consider the causes that he occasionally highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

People have the look away from the whole cocaine thing and ask themselves why did he take drugs? Gerry was depressed and clearly suffering from severe mental illness that needed to be treated. I'm sure he was in a very bad place, and I know when I was in a bad place too the first thing I did was take drugs to try and calm myself down. Sadly a lot of people will see Gerry Ryan as a junkie now, but really I feel so sorry for him, because I understand that he was suffering from depression, and anyone who suffers from it will know why Gerry took cocaine. I think a lot of people are being very harsh towards him on this thread, and it's not fair in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I take your comment as to the people who prescribe me meds etc... as absolutely condesending. I too am a professional and am at the highest rung of my profession...THERE IS NO EXCUSE and do not try to bull**** that it is acceptable in certain ranks, grow a backbone and accept that Gerry Ryan's 10 year old daughter dererves BETTER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Terry wrote: »
    Celebrity dies from coke use. People are shocked.
    AH calls him a hypocrite for doing coke, while most of them do coke themselves, or have done it at some point.
    I'm calling 'bull****' on that line.

Anyway, even if we were all cokeheads, how would that suddenly make Ryan not a hypocrite?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

just wondering how many of the "what an a*****e he was for taking drugs"people on this thread smoke or drink

I take your comment as to the people who prescribe me meds etc... as absolutely condesending. I too am a professional and am at the highest rung of my prosession...THERE IS NO EXCUSE and do not try to bull**** that it is acceptable in certain ranks, grow a backbone and accept that Gerry Ryan's 10 year old daughter dererves BETTER

Congratulations on being at the highest rung...just so you know, whatever profession that maybe there are several of your peers who are recreational drug users...and if you think otherwise you are simply clueless/naive etc...

And I say that with 100%, for as long as society and civilisation have existed, so to have recreational drug users, and will continue to do so for many years to come...(and I am not talking of the lower class, junkie type)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

thebaz wrote: »
    because he took drugs , will he be remembered as a monster ?
    Nope. I don't think anyone has called him a monster. A hypocrite, yes. Smug, yes. Monster? No.
    if it was a few valium or anti-depressants (that half the country are on) instead of coke , he would still be remembered as a hero .
    I'd remember him the exact same, aside from this revelation that he was a hypocrite.
    Coke does make people unbearable when they are high , self important - but at the end of the day the only person they are harming is themselves or there close ones - get over it ireland
    ...and of course the innocent victims of the drug gangs that they are customers of. These only exist because people want to consume illegal drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

breezy1985 wrote: »
    just wondering how many of the "what an a*****e he was for taking drugs"people on this thread smoke or drink

Is this for a school project?............ as it has nothing to do with a hypocritical cocaine user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

ebixa82 wrote: »
    And I say that with 100%, for as long as society and civilisation have existed, so to have recreational drug users, and will continue to do so for many years to come...

Well written my friend, well written indeed. Actually everyone takes drugs. People that drink a bottle of Coca Cola are taking drugs, because Caffeine is a drug. People who drink tea are drug users. So remember that when you sit down for your next cup of Lyons or Barrys. You are a drug user. The whole country is on drugs, even children so leave Gerry alone.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I dont really think it is about smoking or drinking although both of those drugs have a nevative impact too...ask your friend do you smoke, do you drink, do you take cocaine, which would be regarded as the worst answer...cigarettes or alcohol do not have the same potential to kill as cocaine....or so it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Conas wrote: »
    People have the look away from the whole cocaine thing and ask themselves why did he take drugs? Gerry was depressed and clearly suffering from severe mental illness that needed to be treated. I'm sure he was in a very bad place, and I know when I was in a bad place too the first thing I did was take drugs to try and calm myself down. Sadly a lot of people will see Gerry Ryan as a junkie now, but really I feel so sorry for him, because I understand that he was suffering from depression, and anyone who suffers from it will know why Gerry took cocaine. I think a lot of people are being very harsh towards him on this thread, and it's not fair in my opinion.

Apols In Advance, Didn't Read Whole Thread

But in reference to above, I have no sympathy for Ryan. What a crock of sh*t to defend him. The dogs in street knew he was taking (this is 5/7 years ago). But D'Yaknow what people do in their own time is their own bitness. The fact GR on several occasions went on rants about drugs and in aprticular Coke makes me think :- Hypocrite, You Reap What You Sow...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I take your comment as to the people who prescribe me meds etc... as absolutely condesending. I too am a professional and am at the highest rung of my profession...THERE IS NO EXCUSE and do not try to bull**** that it is acceptable in certain ranks, grow a backbone and accept that Gerry Ryan's 10 year old daughter dererves BETTER
    Why is it condescending? It is simply a factual statement that mnay many people, professional and otherwise, take cocaine and other drugs. While it is certainly risky behaviour, people take their own risks and its about time we all realised that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement