Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alijesse

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Congratulations on being at the highest rung...just so you know, whatever profession that maybe there are several of your peers who are recreational drug users...and if you think otherwise you are simply clueless/naive etc...

And I say that with 100%, for as long as society and civilisation have existed, so to have recreational drug users, and will continue to do so for many years to come...
    And so too will helpless chlidren of those irresponsible persons....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Plazaman wrote: »
    Apols In Advance, Didn't Read Whole Thread

But in reference to above, I have no sympathy for Ryan. What a crock of sh*t to defend him. The dogs in street knew he was taking (this is 5/7 years ago). But D'Yaknow what people do in their own time is their own bitness. The fact GR on several occasions went on rants about drugs and in aprticular Coke makes me think :- Hypocrite, You Reap What You Sow...

You're so wrong my friend, and everything you wrote above is just false. Gerry took drugs because he was depressed and was clearly struggling to keep himself together. This has been well documented. He didn't take drugs because he liked them, he took them because he was in a bad place and needed something to help him cope. Sadly he took the wrong stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

alijesse wrote: »
    I dont really think it is about smoking or drinking although both of those drugs have a nevative impact too...ask your friend do you smoke, do you drink, do you take cocaine, which would be regarded as the worst answer...cigarettes or alcohol do not have the same potential to kill as cocaine....or so it seems

Unsurprisingly you have yet to read Professor Nutt's report...to a certain extent I envy your ignorance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Conas wrote: »
    You're so wrong my friend, and everything you wrote above is just false. Gerry took drugs because he was depressed and was clearly struggling to keep himself together. This has been well documented. He didn't take drugs because he liked them, he took them because he was in a bad place and needed something to help him cope. Sadly he took the wrong stuff.
    Then you'll have no problem supplying links to the documents that back up this assertion...

*waits*

And so too will helpless chlidren of those irresponsible persons....

Yes, and so to will the children of persons who have never touched drugs...

Now for the maths..

(children of rec. drug users) + (children of non-rec. drug users) = next generation/society

• Advertisement

drkpower wrote: »
    Why is it condescending? It is simply a factual statement that mnay many people, professional and otherwise, take cocaine and other drugs. While it is certainly risky behaviour, people take their own risks and its about time we all realised that.
    I view it as a condesending statement as it was put forward that the fact that doctors etc took cocaine was knowledge of the few... of course we are all aware of the w****rs who have absolutely no respect for their jobs....I only ask what about the children of those so blatently explosed ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

He had a whole host of drugs in his system though.

Xanax, sleeping pills etc.

Why is cocaine the one blamed?

Prescription meds are almost as dangerous, if not more so - quite a number of unexplained celebrity deaths seemed to have occured where prescribed drugs can be the only true cause and it seems to be soon forgotten about:

Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Brian Epstein, Chris Penn, Anna Nicole Smith, Marilyn Monroe, Brittany Murphy etc.

That's just in celebrities circles, but death from prescription drugs is very very common these days and not just from overdoes.

Understand certain drugs are saving people's lives and so needed without question, but there are many many people today on a cocktail of tranquilizers, sleeping pills, anti-depressants etc where that isn't the case.

Over-prescription and inappropriate use of these types of drugs is just rampant as cocaine abuse and just as dangerous, if not more so.

Then you'll have no problem supplying links to the documents that back up this assertion...

*waits*

Read the news man, it was all over it today that his doctor had prescribed him Xanax and Sleeping tablets. He also told a lot of people he was really stressed out etc. The documents are there my friend, my assertion has been backed up RTE and TV3.

Yes, and so to will the children of persons who have never touched drugs...

Now for the maths..

(children of rec. drug users) + (children of non-rec. drug users) = next generation/society
    Genius at maths congratulations. No wonder our society is doing so well

OutlawPete wrote: »

Xanax, sleeping pills etc.

Why is cocaine the one blamed?
    Probably because of this...
    The inquest into the death of RTÉ broadcaster Gerry Ryan has heard that traces of cocaine found in his system were the likely trigger for a cardiac arrhythmia that resulted in his death.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1210/ryang.html

• Advertisement

I view it as a condesending statement as it was put forward that the fact that doctors etc took cocaine was knowledge of the few... of course we are all aware of the w****rs who have absolutely no respect for their jobs....I only ask what about the children of those so blatently explosed ???

Again, total ignorance. I know plenty of Doctors who are dedicated to their jobs, having had to work 80 hour weeks in their junior years and see their choice of consultation as a true vocation...

But also like to get demented on whatever class A they feel fit to try every now and then..

How does getting a little messed up every so often equate to someone not respecting their job??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

What does that mean?
    Have you been drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Well I think one of us might be. I would suggest it's probably the one who can't write a coherent post - other readers will be the judge of who that is :)

Goodnight dear Ducky. :pac::pac::pac:

?? what other readers get over yourself :eek: tool

Mod: Poster banned.

OutlawPete wrote: »

Prescription meds are almost as dangerous, if not more so - quite a number of unexplained celebrity deaths seemed to have occured where prescribed drugs can be the only true cause and it seems to be soon forgotten about:

Heath Ledger, Michael Jackson, Brian Epstein, Chris Penn, Anna Nicole Smith, Marilyn Monroe, Brittany Murphy etc.

I know where you are coming from, but I disagree with you. All their deaths were overdose, which is a big difference. Too much of anything can kill a person even water. There is nothing wrong with presciption drugs if they are used correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Conas wrote: »

Dear oh dear. He must have been a long time trying to keep himself together! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Ignore the drugs part for the moment.
    He died with debts of over 300,000 euro. This was one of the most overpaid "celebrities" in Ireland.

That's what I find offensive, not the drugs, but the fact that he couldn't support an ex-wife and family on his meagre 600,000 euro salary.

Again, total ignorance. I know plenty of Doctors who are dedicated to their jobs, having had to work 80 hour weeks in their junior years and see their choice of consultation as a true vocation...

But also like to get demented on whatever class A they feel fit to try every now and then..

How does getting a little messed up every so often equate to someone not respecting their job??
    Im not sure..ask yourself that question...DOCTOR

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I dont really think it is about smoking or drinking although both of those drugs have a nevative impact too...ask your friend do you smoke, do you drink, do you take cocaine, which would be regarded as the worst answer...cigarettes or alcohol do not have the same potential to kill as cocaine....or so it seems

i Just think its funny that many of the people who declaired him a saint and his death "Irelands Diana moment" will shun him now.And to answer your question drink smoking and coke are treated the same with my friends even though none of us are coke users.All drugs are a personal choice in my book

duckysauce wrote: »
    ?? what other readers get over yourself :eek: tool
    Ok, there are no other readers of this thread. You must be right - the other posters don't exist. How did I not realise? :rolleyes:

Now go to bed, tool.
    Mod: Poster banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Wertz wrote: »
    Ah how I recall all the hand wringing, finger-pointing and moralising done on that show around this time 4 3 yrs ago, just after Katie French died...

I have no problem with illegal drug use by any celebrity...I do have a huge problem with those same public figures proseltyizing about anti drug use or slamming drug culture, even if I undertsnad that they must given their public profile and career on this little island of hypocrisy.

It's time this country had a very honest debate about drugs. I never liked Ryan really (although he was admittedly a great broadcaster) and this revelation won't change my opinion of him (I always had him down as a hypocrite)...but I have absolutely no doubt that there'll be many of his former listeners and fans (the mammy brigade of Ireland) who will try and deny or reconcile this and/or who may change their opinion of the man because of this news.

Rest assured folks...there's loads of others out there at it too, some of whom you'd least expect. That's it, from me and them until then...

No need to do this and my only contribution to the thread but what a fantastic little word (in the bold, obviously). Definitely my word for the day today anyway. Slight spelling mistake but I'm gonna overlook for the sheer brilliance of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Post 438 - I had a good post going on about Gerry Ryan here... then I reread over some of the self righteous bullsh1t on this thread... so I revised it.

Here it is..

Gerry took cocaine, maybe w/o his partner's knowledge
    Gerry was wealthy
    Gerry's marriage failed
    Gerry has children

Are any of you better than him in some way that you feel entitled to wade thru the entrails of his autopsy? Is it really newsworthy, or in the interest or benefit to anybody?

I was never a fan of Gerry Ryan , so I have no axe to grind.. but I loathe the self righteous bull**** that goes on in AH sometimes. No human being, regardless of wealth or position, makes it to their early 50s without
    - making mistakes
    - suffering human pain, loss, stress, anxiety, panic, bereavement, etc

What qualifies people here to judge him? **** all.

Let him rest in peace, & show some respect to his loved ones who can access this public forum.

And - people do things from time to time that they know are wrong, they regret it, sometimes they may get trapped in damaging behaviours.
    I have done things that were wrong, and that I regret. I have done some of these things repeatedly. Doesnt make me a hypocrite if I discourage others from making the same mistakes that I have made.

That is all.

drkpower wrote: »
    What does that mean?
    Have you been drinking?
    I'm sorry I thought what I was saying made sense, I have not been drinking, I don't drink but I take on board that I might not be writing as clearly as I should be or otherwise you do not understand as clearly as you should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Ok, there are no other readers of this thread. You must be right - the other posters don't exist. How did I not realise? :rolleyes:

Now go to bed, tool.

eh cuz you are wrong meh gob****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

PS Katy French was a model who had a complex private life, took cocaine, and was idolised posthumously by the gutter press, for money.

Get a grip people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A drug user there is no such thing as a 'recreational' drug user...

ur
    doing
    it
    wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

FoxT wrote: »
    Is it really newsworthy, or in the interest or benefit to anybody?

RTE thought so.

The inquest into the death of RTÉ broadcaster Gerry Ryan has heard that traces of cocaine found in his system were the likely trigger for a cardiac arrhythmia that resulted in his death.
    Pathologist Eamon Lean, who carried out the post mortem examination, said that Mr Ryan's heart was normal.
    However, traces of cocaine were found in Mr Ryan's system during toxicology tests carried out at Beaumont Hospital and the State Laboratory.
    He said that alcohol levels in Mr Ryan's system were nowhere near the level that would cause complications.
    The Dublin City Coroner Brian Farrell has recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.
    Questioned by Barrister Brendan Grehan, Dr Lean agreed that the levels of cocaine detected were 'low'.
    Dr Lean said the presence of myocarditis in Mr Ryan's heart suggests previous use of cocaine, but he said it could also be as a result of a previous viral myocarditis.
    He said the presence of myocarditis, which is an inflammation of the heart muscle, meant Mr Ryan was at risk and that even low levels of use of cocaine could have an effect.
    He agreed with Dr Farrell that the use of cocaine was a 'significant risk factor' in Mr Ryan's death.
    Dr Lean said that cocaine is an unpredictable drug that does not have to be taken in high dosages to have a severe impact.
    Mr Ryan, 53, was found dead at his apartment at Upper Leeson Street in Dublin on 30 April.

Pressure on Gerry Ryan
    Earlier, Melanie Verwoerd, the partner of the TV and radio presenter spoke at the inquest.
    Melanie Verwoerd said that the pressures of finalising his separation from his wife Morah, as well as enormous pressure from RTÉ and his work, had begun to take a toll on Gerry Ryan.
    She said that he was constantly waking in the middle of the night, sweating and feeling very unwell.
    Ms Verwoerd said she was 'incredibly' concerned about him and he had told her he was 'totally banjaxed' and felt very tired.
    She said the pressure Mr Ryan was under was never openly obvious to people as he was a 'showman'.
    He would give private signals to her during social events when he was unwell and had to leave. She said this was a fairly common occurrence.
    Ms Verwoerd said that changes in sick leave policy in RTÉ had resulted in Mr Ryan feeling he could not take time off work even though he was unwell.
    Speaking after the verdict, Ms Verwoerd said the toxicology report on his death came as a huge shock to her.
    She said one of the ground rules of their relationship had been that drugs were not acceptable
    Ms Verwoerd said Gerry Ryan had promised her he would not use drugs and she said as far as she knew he kept that promise until the night of his death.

Several witnesses at the inquest said he was in good form and enjoyed a meal in Town Bar and Grill and a few drinks, before going home at around 10.45pm on the night before his death.
    Ms Verwoerd described finding Mr Ryan's body on the floor of his bedroom, lying wrapped in bedclothes beside his bed.
    She said it was immediately apparent he was cold and stiff and had been dead for some time.
    Mr Ryan's wife Morah and his son Rex also attended the inquest, along with colleagues from 2FM.

'Severe stress and anxiety'
    Mr Ryan's GP, Dr Tony Crosby, said that Mr Ryan was suffering from 'severe stress and anxiety' as a result of a number of factors.
    He said he had seen Gerry Ryan on 22 April, just a few days before his death.
    Dr Crosby said he had prescribed some drugs to assist with his condition.
    He said he was normally very open and forthright about how he was feeling but made no complaint about chest pains.
    Dr Crosby said Mr Ryan had told him he was not sleeping, was feeling very stressed, and was quite anxious.
    Morah Ryan appealed to people under stress with pressures or worries of any kind to seek personal support and professional help.
    In a statement released after the inquest verdict, she said that, even as a communicator, Mr Ryan struggled.
    She said: 'If today is to mean something, it is to offer encouragement. If it is to have a message it is that there is always someone to share your problem with, someone to offer professional advice and someone to shine light into your life when you need it most.
    'There is always someone to ask. That is the simple message Gerard would have dearly wished from today.'
    In a statement this afternoon, RTÉ said it wished to acknowledge its sadness at the sudden loss of Gerry Ryan earlier this year.
    RTÉ extended its sincere sympathies to Gerry's wife Morah, to his children and family, former colleagues close friends and partner Melanie Verwoerd.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1210/ryang.html

I think that at the end of the day it would have to be admitted that Gerry Ryan did wrong by his children despite the fact that he probably loved them deeply...yes or no????? It is that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

FoxT wrote: »
    PS Katy French was a model who had a complex private life, took cocaine, and was idolised posthumously by the gutter press, for money.

Get a grip people.

Difference is Katy French never made highly public statements to thousands condemning dealers and users as 'scumbags'.

In other words, the less hypocritical of the two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think that at the end of the day it would have to be admitted that Gerry Ryan did wrong by his children despite the fact that he probably loved them deeply...yes or no????? It is that simple

Give the children thing a rest for Gods sake.
    We know it affected them.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ducky and others any more abusive name calling and you'll be taking an enforced break...

DeV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement