Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 alijesse

mikom wrote: »
    Give the children thing a rest for Gods sake.
    We know it affected them.
    How do you mean give it a rest...is there someone else you think it affects more, something else we could get out teeth into more if we ignored those whos his death actually affects?? What would you like me to say instead and how do you think it would not affect his children?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Difference is Katy French never made highly public statements to thousands condemning dealers and users as 'scumbags'.

In other words, the less hypocritical of the two!
    Was there not an interview with Katy French published a few weeks before her death in which she stated that she never took drugs, specifically cocaine?

IMO, G. Ryan's hypocrisy just makes this even more tragic. I wasn't a fan of the man but FFS, who is not a hypocrite? Who hasn't engaged in behaviours they really know they shouldn't, and maybe even lied about it? And felt the shame. It sounds as though the man's life was a complete mess before he died. He didn't get a chance to turn it around. It's clear that despite his faults and difficulties he was a much loved man by those close to him. If they can deal with his "hypocrisy" in their grief, then those of us who didn't care for him should have no trouble letting it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I wasn't a fan of the man but FFS, who is not a hypocrite? Who hasn't engaged in behaviours they really know they shouldn't, and maybe even lied about it?

I make a hypocritical statement......... who hears it............ one, maybe two people.
    Like it or not Gerry had a large listenership which were fed lines of shite whenever he spoke out about drug dealers and headshops.
    Think of it like loud-hailer hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Was there not an interview with Katy French published a few weeks before her death in which she stated that she never took drugs, specifically cocaine?

IMO, G. Ryan's hypocrisy just makes this even more tragic. I wasn't a fan of the man but FFS, who is not a hypocrite? Who hasn't engaged in behaviours they really know they shouldn't, and maybe even lied about it? And felt the shame. It sounds as though the man's life was a complete mess before he died. He didn't get a chance to turn it around. It's clear that despite his faults and difficulties he was a much loved man by those close to him. If they can deal with his "hypocrisy" in their grief, then those of us who didn't care for him should have no trouble letting it go.

None of us are saints, but the man generated huge public influence, and the greater the job, the greater the responsibility and all that.

If he had the same broadcasting role for years as his pal Dave Fanning who only comments on music (industry filled with drugs is hardly a secret), and not a role which involves talking about highly sensitive issues then people here wouldn't be so angry with today's news.

mikom wrote: »
    I make a hypocritical statement......... who hears it............ one, maybe two people.
    Like it or not Gerry had a large listenership which were fed lines of shite whenever he spoke out about drug dealers and headshops.
    Think of it like loud-hailer hypocrisy.
    Regardless of who hears it, the one living with the shame of it is the one who speaks it. The man's life was fcuked before he died. It seems he was the author of his own demise.

Schadenfreude is as distasteful a trait as hypocrisy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Schadenfreude is as distasteful a trait as hypocrisy.

Would you take pleasure if I told you I didn't understand the first word?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Yes, that is what I am referring to.

The use of the word "likely".

The role of prescription medication is regularly overlooked when they find the presence of cocaine or other illegal drugs.

The toxicologist that is regularly on Larry King whenever some celebrity or other dies, was talking about this recently on his show and was discussing how most these drugs go through many many trials on how they are metabolized by the body and how precisely they effect it but they are not tested as part of the common prescription drug cocktails that they can and usually do end up in.

His judgment was that benzodiazepines drugs and many painkillers are over-prescribed and not properly trialled and researched on how they interact with other medications, particularly newer ones. These deaths are put down to accidental overdose, but many times - there is little evidence that the prescribed doses were ever exceeded.

Anyway, I am not saying that is the case here, just wondered why they used the word "likely" with cocaine and yet the cocktail in it's totality is not a "likely" cause - which is what that toxicologist's, that I referred to, main point was.

Perhaps more details will be released.

One thing I also have to wonder - is if Reductil had anything to do with this.

This was an obesity drug that Gerry took for a few years and sang it's praises both on the radio, in his book, on air and in interviews.

That drug later went on to be taken off the market becuase it was implicated in causing cardiovascular damage and heart attacks.

It was also linked to causing depression and anxiety and you would have to wonder if it was the start of his problems also.

From what I can recall, he sang the praises of the stuff for a couple of years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lights cigarette and finishes 6th Vodka and Orange.

Jaysus he was one hypocrite wasn't he!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Lights cigarette and finishes 6th Vodka and Orange.

Jaysus he was one hypocrite wasn't he!
    Oh, how smug I'll be when your liver corrodes and your lungs turn to filigree.:cool:
    Edit: (It'll be hard to tell though, 'cos I'll be too busy wheezing into my nebuliser mask to laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Couldn't be bothered even beginning to read this thread.
    I guess those who are interested in the how and why, think they know how and why now; as do many of those who aren't particularly interested.
    He's dead; he didn't pontificate, as far as i know, about the use of any substance which supposedly contributed to his death.
    And even if he did, who cares; he's dead and can't speak for himself.
    Maybe someone will learn a lesson from this, maybe no-one will.
    It's not his or his family's responsibility.
    I'm sure there'll be plenty of his erstwhile 'friends' willing to pick over his bones in the papers this weekend; gorge on that, you ghouls who are interested and stick it up your holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

This is the guy who called uneducated young drugtakers `scumbags`.

A guy who had all the benefits of education, wealth and influence.

A guy who had a home and a loving family yet threw it all away.

What a hypocritical waster he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Having read through all the pages on this thread and the destruction of Gerry Ryan through drug taking,i sincerly hope that the persons who allegedly supplied Katie French go down for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Hack-for-hire dies, with drugs in his system.

The Internet debates the details...

The world moves on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of people like me would have heard rumours about his coke use around for years - this is from friends who would have socialized and worked in places he went to.

I personally don't care what he did in his personal life and I'm not against personal drug use. I never listened to him much so have no idea about the extent of his hypocrisy re: drugs. In a way, all employees - especially media - are caught in a web of hypocrisy because public opinion is so hysterical about drugs and you can hardly go against that in media that is aimed at Gerry Ryan's type of audience. If people do drugs, (a)They're hardly going to go into work and announce it (b) hardly going to say "that's bullshit if their, say, CEO is fulminating against drugs.

Obviously, if Gerry's comments on drugs go over the boundary into as personal and were as much as a crusade as that of Joe Duffy, then yes, he was a hypocrite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Can't wait to build a big Gerry Ryan when it snows again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Oh come on, even if Gerry was doin drugs it would have been totally irresponsible of him to go on air and admit to it or to even state that he thought that drug taking was ok.

He was right to be anti drug on his show whether it made him a hypocrite or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Can we now introduce "doin' a line of Ryan" into Dubalin slang.

Or is it too soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Plenty of great, influential, intellectual, and notable figures throughout human history have taken 'drugs', be it opium, cannabis, LSD, cocaine, or whatever. Big fooking deal. Get over it.

"...Ooooh the shock horror. Oooh he had cocaine in his blood. Oooh give me more juicy details. Oh wee oh wee oh wee, he's a bad bad man. OMG what a hypocrite....ha ha drug addict dead now...ha ha"

Above is the gist of alot of the posts on this thread. One word: retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

policeman wrote: »
    Plenty of great, influential, intellectual, and notable figures throughout human history have taken 'drugs'

Err .. we are talking about Gerry Ryan here no ??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I listened to the radio news yesterday and one of the saddest things for me was that "he had to be helped into the shower in the morning" - if my partner or child had to be helped to get in the shower - I'd dragged them into a hospital.

Also another poster asked about the "abusive text messages" that Ryan received - who sent these texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 sonkal

TheUsual wrote: »
    Can we now introduce "doin' a line of Ryan" into Dubalin slang.

Or is it too soon ?

LOL!! Brilliant!! Does certianly bring a new meaning to "The Ryan Line" alright.

I do think though that "Quality" is right it would have been irresponsible of him to be anything other than anti drugs on air.

The man made mistakes, he has paid the ultimate price and left grieving family and friends behind. IMO it's a tradegy no matter what way you look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dub. wrote: »
    This is the guy who called uneducated young drugtakers `scumbags`.

A guy who had all the benefits of education, wealth and influence.

A guy who had a home and a loving family yet threw it all away.

What a hypocritical waster he was.

I refer the poster to my earlier answer, (pasted below)

The greatest (not very flashy) thing celebrities ever did was to convince a plebeian public that they were 'sincere'.

In other words: get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

No doubt the media won't search for Gerry's dealer with the same gusto as the did for Katie's .... All little too close to home maybe ... Wouldn't want to cut off your own supply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

great, influential, intellectual, and notable

You do know this thread is about Gerry Ryan right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I think what a lot of people are annoyed about is when he had garda Gerry o Carrol and superman paul williams on his show on numerous occasions,and they were ranting on about the scumbags etc etc flooding our towns & villages with drugs and gerry ryan agreeing with them and then secretly going out and scoring of these same people.That is annoying,
    Do what i say not what i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

there is an article in the time today stating there WILL BE NO INVESTIGATION INTO HIS DEATH.....
    why not ?
    they made it there business with kathy french

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

latenia wrote: »
    You do know this thread is about Gerry Ryan right?

That's not what I meant. I didn't say he was up there with the greats. However you could say..

Great in some peoples eyes, yes.
    Influential, to all the people that listened to him, yes definitely.
    Intelligent, without a doubt,
    Notable, in Irish broadcasting, yes I think so.

He may not be on par with big figures in history. I was simply using that as a comparative reference, setting the upper most parameter ie.if they were at it, what's the big hoo haa if he [being not such a big figure] was at it as well. Geddit?

Go look up famous users of LSD for example. You might be surprised at who's on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Go look up famous users of LSD for example. You might be surprised at who's on that list.

Ah, but no one has ever died from an overdose of LSD!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gerry Ryan overdosed on cocaine about four years ago according to the papers this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

markesmith wrote: »
    Hack-for-hire dies, with drugs in his system.

The Internet debates the details...

The world moves on
    Translation: I'm not really interested in this topic. Why oh why can't we talk about my pet interests?? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement