Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

policeman wrote: »
    Plenty of great, influential, intellectual, and notable figures throughout human history have taken 'drugs', be it opium, cannabis, LSD, cocaine, or whatever. Big fooking deal. Get over it.

"...Ooooh the shock horror. Oooh he had cocaine in his blood. Oooh give me more juicy details. Oh wee oh wee oh wee, he's a bad bad man. OMG what a hypocrite....ha ha drug addict dead now...ha ha"

Above is the gist of alot of the posts on this thread. One word: retarded.

He was an almighty hypocrite and you are one of the blind sheep who followed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I love the way that the "recreational" users see themselves as having no part in the violence, gang culture & general devastation caused by cocaine.

Where do they think their drugs come from ?. The same scumbags as everyone else. The "recreational" users including celebs have caused immense damage. When a kid is at the stage to be induced into coke it makes the job so much easier because he has seen countless celebs using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

whippet wrote: »
    No doubt the media won't search for Gerry's dealer with the same gusto as the did for Katie's .... All little too close to home maybe ... Wouldn't want to cut off your own supply
    Why would they? Nobody has suggested that the cocaine Ryan used was of the type that killed French. It was just a normal side effect of the drug that killed him. He was a grown man, he knew what he was buying and snorting, I don't see what the point of witch-hunting a particular dealer would be in this case.

What a lot of the 'a sure, we all use cocaine'* posters on this thread refuse to ackowledge is that they are the people who have created the Westies, the McCarthy-Dundons etc., and all the misery and death they have caused. Without customers for their drugs, these gangs would never have existed.

I personally think drugs should be legalised, I've no moral position on their actual use. But those who use illegal drugs need to deal with their role in creating these murderous criminal gangs.

And they don't - they just pretend, even to themselves, that it's nothing to do with them.

*for info: we don't

Go look up famous users of LSD for example. You might be surprised at who's on that list.
    I'm not equating it with drug use, but just to show that your example is rather meaningless; I wonder what historically famous names would show up in a list of child abusers?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Yes, legalisation is the way to go. Take the control away from the gangs. Produce it properly in government regulated laboratories. On a global scale for example, the American DEA has lost billions and plenty of agents in their continuing 'war on drugs' . It will never be won. People always want to f**k their minds up, whether it's 20 vodkas and red bull/20 pints of Guinness in 2 hours on a Saturday night, a pill on the dancefloor, a gram of charlie at a party, or a xanax or 2 and a sleeper before bed, the idea, which has persisted for thousands of years, is that humans like to get out of their mind from time to time [it relieves personal stress, anxiety, blah, blah, aids meditation, whatever]

Opium was traded thousands of years ago by the Egyptians who knew it's potent narcotic effect. Hundreds of years ago Inca tribes discover the medicinal like qualities of the coca plant. This eventually lead to cocaine production.

Yes, we seem to be too stupid as a race to collectively accept that you can't fight these gangs, you can't stamp out drugs, and you can't suppress the human desire for a high of some sort.

Even a quick smoke outside after a stressful morning in the office works indicates the inherent need for a chemical fix. Nicotine, a drug, stimulates the central nervous system, activates certain neurotransmitters, and causes a release of dopamine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

I'm not equating it with drug use, but just to show that your example is rather meaningless; I wonder what historically famous names would show up in a list of child abusers?
    i wouldnt be at all.. i worked in a well known spot in the city for a long time... saw and heard it all..pop pill sniff and what ever else ..
    im a gent so ill keep stumm but trust me .. when people want to be entertained .. there the same as every man and dog on the street....
    what i will say women surprised me much more how n ever ...
    and im talking bout women we see every day almost on the tv..
    and on a current note.. i do weekend work now . and have seen and heard of taxi drivers telling me .. guy in the back of a car ,"after the fare is paid before the chap or girl gets out " bud i just wanna have a sniff before i get out , that alrught mate?lol... funny but very very true.

Yes, legalisation is the way to go.
    It's certainly worth looking into - what we do right now isn't stopping anyone who wants drugs from getting them, and brings a ton of extra problems in addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Go look up famous users of LSD for example. You might be surprised at who's on that list.

I'm well aware that many great people have done drugs and that some of our greatest art, literature and music have at least partly been created as a result of this but LSD, weed, mescaline and even heroin are entirely different substances to cocaine which has little or no psychotropic effect.
    There are no positive aspects to cocaine use apart from the artificial confidence inside the user's head for the first 20 minutes after they do it; after that it just becomes an obsession to keep doing more. Just look at the promising careers it has destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's certainly worth looking into - what we do right now isn't stopping anyone who wants drugs from getting them, and brings a ton of extra problems in addition.

Which brings us back to why were the head shops banned nearly overnight instead of not taking the brave and sensible step of regulating them and hopefully educating our children whats out there.

realies wrote: »
    Which brings us back to why were the head shops banned nearly overnight instead of not taking the brave and sensible step of regulating them and hopefully educating our children whats out there.
    Which unfortunately brings us back to a comment someone made earlier about Ryan campaigning about a headshop that had opened in his neighbourhood. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Which unfortunately brings us back to a comment someone made earlier about Ryan campaigning about a headshop that had opened in his neighbourhood. :confused:

Journalists,like politicians,are hypocrites. They are the two proffesions were drugs are the most ramapant, yet are the most vocal about zero-tolerance to drugs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

panda100 wrote: »
    Journalists,like politicians,are hypocrites. They are the two proffesions were drugs are the most ramapant, yet are the most vocal about zero-tolerance to drugs as well.

This is true, but they are also 2 careers that you can't really advocate drugs use in or it would mean the end of your job. Ryan couldn't come on the radio each morning as say hey I was off me balls on charlie last night, was awesome.

Of course he had to take the opposite stance!. Not much choice IMO....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

None of this should be made public its unfair on his family all the things that are coming out. Nobody is perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

He was our Princess Diana!!!!111!!!

None of this should be made public its unfair on his family all the things that are coming out. Nobody is perfect

Yeah, I feel sorry for his family hearing this coming upto christmas. Not a very nice thing to have to deal with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Findings of the coroners court are always made public.

Why does he deserve special treatment :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

later10 wrote: »

:D:D:D some princess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I remember Gerry reporting on a march on a Head shop in Dollymount or Sandymount. The people were getting together to 'burn em out'.

Seems amusing now considering he probably had a bag of Charles in his pocket.

I'd be doing copious amounts of coke f I was on 500k/yr and had to listen to old ladies all day.

cough*bull*****cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

He truly was our Queen of tarts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

I'd be doing copious amounts of coke f I was on 500k/yr and had to listen to old ladies all day.

That is funny :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

later10 wrote: »

http://omg.wthax.org/Diana_Princess_of_Wales1.jpg

*shudders*

Bollox to that Id be sucking on the adrenaline glands of horses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Conas wrote: »
    You're so wrong my friend, and everything you wrote above is just false. Gerry took drugs because he was depressed and was clearly struggling to keep himself together. This has been well documented. He didn't take drugs because he liked them, he took them because he was in a bad place and needed something to help him cope. Sadly he took the wrong stuff.

Dr Leen explained that Mr Ryan had fibrosis in the heart -- an abnormal thickening of the heart valves. He said this is usually the result of heart disease but "not in this case".
    He said there were two possibilities, another being viral myocarditis, which causes the heart muscle to enlarge.
    "The other explanation is more likely," he said, adding that a history of cocaine use can cause the heart damage.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cocaine-was-likely-trigger-of-abnormal-heart-rhythm-2457027.html

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Sure look at yer man from cork, he was caught with his trousers down too!
    Did the Cork man get 10 million euros for his night walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

barney4001 wrote: »
    Having read through all the pages on this thread and the destruction of Gerry Ryan through drug taking,i sincerly hope that the persons who allegedly supplied Katie French go down for a few years

I am sure their arms weren't twisted! They took the stuff and paid good money for it and suffered the consequences! Not rocket science!!!

They knew what they were doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

ebixa82 wrote: »
    ...I know plenty of Doctors who are dedicated to their jobs, having had to work 80 hour weeks in their junior years and see their choice of consultation as a true vocation...

But also like to get demented on whatever class A they feel fit to try every now and then..

How does getting a little messed up every so often equate to someone not respecting their job??

I disagree with your conclusion here, but it is analogous to the Gerry Ryan hypocrisy. The problem that I had with Ryan is that on the one hand he was a coke user but on the other he publicly portrayed himself as a "straight-talker" who regularly bad-mouthed junkies and pushers... as if he was completely above it. I wouldn't condemn him for the recreational drug-use alone... it's the two-facedness of it all that annoyed me. Also the fact that his habit was funded by tax-payers money.

As for the doctors you refer to above. What advice are they meant to give a patient who says they get demented on coke from time to time?

Physician, heal thyself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Feelgood wrote: »

...I've no idea what I'd be doing, but I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be worrying about the debt I was in.

"George Turner (40) had been a good husband and father for 16 years before he was diagnosed with depression and began abusing prescription medicine to deal with the condition.
    He rang the Gerry Ryan Show to say he’d broken into a house to act out his violent thoughts a few days previously, but left when he discovered there was only a male occupant present."

Kinda prophetic :)

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »

Don't get them mixed up with the prostrate glands ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement