Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

One of Ireland's biggest celebraties dies from coke (or has a cocaine-related death, for the pedants) and there is zero commentary from RTE or The Irish Times on it. Real brave Irish meejah.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

If Gerry was alive and could truthfully respond perhaps it might be like this:

"Good morning folks. G Ryan is banjaxed. I've been at this radio game for years. I did a bit of television but everybody thought I was sh*te. I have been defined by what I do. Telling the people things they want to hear every morning, trying to be that rock, that voice of reason. In my life like everyone else sh*t happens and continues to happen. I am not some demi god like you want to believe when you hear my voice. I am a man, who has fears, and worries and confidence issues like any guy. I don't let on though, because I have to be confident and sure of myself. That's what pulls in ratings and pays my wages. I have my weaknesses too but I never let on.

Even with all my money I'm not happy. Most of it goes to my family. I spend the rest on food in the Four Seasons and a big bag of coke. Why? - Well it gets me high and I forget about the stress of trying to be strong and trying to keep it together, and the pressure of keeping the ratings steady for the show. Yeah I know, I chose this path, this career, and so I have to accept everything about it. I loathe myself sometimes, and think yeah, i'm a bit of a c*nt or I'm crap and people hate me, but the coke takes the edge of those feelings.

My life is very public too. That's another thing that comes with the job, but I guess that's part of the price I pay. So don't hate me when I say that to a degree I have to put on this facade of being a forthright radio presenter, and alot of what I say is determined by an imaginary moral compass. I really would like to be a better person. In private I am falling apart and need someone, anyone to lean on, to help me fight my demons"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

keanooo wrote: »
    I disagree with your conclusion here, but it is analogous to the Gerry Ryan hypocrisy. The problem that I had with Ryan is that on the one hand he was a coke user but on the other he publicly portrayed himself as a "straight-talker" who regularly bad-mouthed junkies and pushers... as if he was completely above it. I wouldn't condemn him for the recreational drug-use alone... it's the two-facedness of it all that annoyed me. Also the fact that his habit was funded by tax-payers money.

As for the doctors you refer to above. What advice are they meant to give a patient who says they get demented on coke from time to time?

Physician, heal thyself.

Doctors will give solid professional advice on the dangers of drug abuse to the patient. They are not pontificating or voicing their own personal opinions on the matter, just giving hard solid facts.

If, working in your professional capacity as a Doctor, someone comes to you with a history of drug abuse or showing the effects of overdosage you would never judge them or lecture them.

Gerry Ryan, sitting on his throne out in RTE did just that, even though he was abusing drugs just as the rest of them.

That's the difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One of Ireland's biggest celebraties dies from coke (or has a cocaine-related death, for the pedants) and there is zero commentary from RTE or The Irish Times on it. Real brave Irish meejah.

Shur all they're fit for is regurgitating press releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

policeman wrote: »

"Good morning folks. G Ryan is banjaxed. I've been at this radio game for years. I did a bit of television but everybody thought I was sh*te. I have been defined by what I do. Telling the people things they want to hear every morning, trying to be that rock, that voice of reason. In my life like everyone else sh*t happens and continues to happen. I am not some demi god like you want to believe when you hear my voice. I am a man, who has fears, and worries and confidence issues like any guy. I don't let on though, because I have to be confident and sure of myself. That's what pulls in ratings and pays my wages. I have my weaknesses too but I never let on.

Even with all my money I'm not happy. Most of it goes to my family. I spend the rest on food in the Four Seasons and a big bag of coke. Why? - Well it gets me high and I forget about the stress of trying to be strong and trying to keep it together, and the pressure of keeping the ratings steady for the show. Yeah I know, I chose this path, this career, and so I have to accept everything about it. I loathe myself sometimes, and think yeah, i'm a bit of a c*nt or I'm crap and people hate me, but the coke takes the edge of those feelings.

My life is very public too. That's another thing that comes with the job, but I guess that's part of the price I pay. So don't hate me when I say that to a degree I have to put on this facade of being a forthright radio presenter, and alot of what I say is determined by an imaginary moral compass. I really would like to be a better person. In private I am falling apart and need someone, anyone to lean on, to help me fight my demons"

Boo hoo.

Sounds like an easy life compared to my fathers 60 years of farming.
    He's a divil for the ould cocaine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i wonder will fanning kenny and duffy be on the late late show this friday night paying tribute to the cocaine taking gerry.ah sure wasnt he a divil for the ole cocaine god love him.
    they are being very quiet now.and the other post saying melanie knew about it.of course she did and morah and probably his own kids.

what a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

The above statement is factually incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

My answer to this would be to follow the advice you have been dishing out so freely for years and seek help. I dont hate the man but I think his hypocrisy was shocking, you can make excuses and speak of stress but many people face a LOT worse and dont turn to cocaine. He was in the privledged position of been able to have afforded and have had access to medical/other help if he had sought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ha ha people in this thread think people on tv and radio are real.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

ha ha people in this thread think people on tv and radio are real.

i bought the indo this morning to read some news. All i got was the first 16 pages filled with ****e about a talentless, overpaid ego driven ugly hypocrite of a JUNKIE!!

people like him make me sick, dead or alive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Godsentme wrote: »
    i bought the indo this morning to read some news. .........

First mistake there, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

It's so sad that Gerry Ryan dies from abusing cocaine and Veronica Guerin isn't alive to break the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Conas wrote: »
    You're so wrong my friend, and everything you wrote above is just false. Gerry took drugs because he was depressed and was clearly struggling to keep himself together. This has been well documented. He didn't take drugs because he liked them, he took them because he was in a bad place and needed something to help him cope. Sadly he took the wrong stuff.

Poor people from families with generational neglect and drug abuse take drugs = scum

Wealthy celebrities take drugs = depressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

zanardi wrote: »
    It's so sad that Gerry Ryan dies from abusing cocaine and Veronica Guerin isn't alive to break the story.

:rolleyes: I take it you mean veronica guerin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

zanardi wrote: »
    You mean Veronica

Yah changed it just as I posted thus damm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

... and I have afforded NONE of the understanding I am now appealing for to similarly human people in similarly difficult circumstances (or worse). Feel sorry for me now but demonise them because that gets me listeners and pays off my dealer. "

Just thought I would complete your story there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

realies wrote: »
    :rolleyes: I take it you mean veronica guerin ;)
    too slow:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭zanardi

gcgirl wrote: »
    You mean Veronica

Yah changed it just as I posted thus damm

Got me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah, it's the overwhelming hypocrisy that grinds.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Bendihorse wrote: »
    Any Surprises in there?
    Yeah, as long you keep off the coke when you're fat, middle-aged and alcoholic your heart will be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

DeVore wrote: »
    ... and I have afforded NONE of the understanding I am now appealing for to similarly human people in similarly difficult circumstances (or worse). Feel sorry for me now but demonise them because that gets me listeners and pays off my dealer. "

Just thought I would complete your story there.

DeV.
    Hmmm. Ok the cocaine changed his personality for the worse and he became a completely different person in recent years to the Radio 2 shock jock guy of 20 years ago, but for his familys sake, let him RIP.:o

slainte1 wrote: »
    The above statement is factually incorrect.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

How so?
    Page 4 Irish Times. Read all about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,700 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I never like Ryan's show. He always sounded unprepared and making things up as he went along. I always considered him to be a selfish, egotistical glutton as well. I am delighted the truth came out about his death. It might save others from following the same path

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Junkie scum. Bring back the death penalty.

slainte1 wrote: »
    Page 4 Irish Times. Read all about it!

I said zero commentary on the topic. Read the "articles". Like mikom said earlier, all they did was regurgitate the press releases. Is it not worthy of one opinion piece over the weekend edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Spunge wrote: »
    Junkie scum. Bring back the death penalty.

Take your head out of your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

Do they do inquests on everyone that dies suddenly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

This should answer your question: http://www.coronerdublincity.ie//faqs/death.htm#book4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Apparently so, if the "death cannot be explained"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/inquests.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement