Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do they do inquests on everyone that dies suddenly?

If a death cannot be explained, an inquest may be held to establish the facts of the death, such as where and how death occurred. An inquest would not normally be held if a post-mortem examination of the body could explain the cause of death.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/inquests.html

edit/ I hate buses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

Sardonicat wrote: »

Changes my plans for rich old uncle Jeremiah. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Changes my plans for rich old uncle Jeremiah. :mad:

i saw a film called "throw momam from thr train"
    did you see it ?
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Refugee from RealLife

Tigger wrote: »
    i saw a film called "throw momam from thr train"
    did you see it ?
    ;)

Momam I didn't. Do you recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

So, it seems many on this thread want to bang on about hypocrisy. So....

Parents who drink and smoke and annihilate their kids for same behavior.

Blokes who are well behaved with their partner, but when they get together with the lads on a saturday night, they engage in all sorts of misogynistic activities and banter.

People who slag off/joke about their work colleagues, and would hate it if they bore the brunt of same.

Governments who bang on about a recession and cuts, and then continue to allow fat cat bankers receive huge salaries and bonuses.

Medical industry banging on about drug abuse, when they are the purveyors of all sorts of mind altering chemicals in order to make huge profits.

Abhorring those who have great material wealth when in reality you're doing the lottery twice a week.

Women who are self proclaimed feminists and believe in being true to themselves, and yet put on the facemask and stilettos at the weekend.

I could go on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

policeman wrote: »

I've no children
    Blokes who are well behaved with their partner, but when they get together with the lads on a saturday night, they engage in all sorts of misogynistic activities and banter.

I don't go out with the lads on a Saturday night.
    Usually stay in with herself.
    People who slag off/joke about their work colleagues, and would hate it if they bore the brunt of same.

Self-employed
    Governments who bang on about a recession and cuts, and then continue to allow fat cat bankers receive huge salaries and bonuses.

I is not a government.
    Medical industry banging on about drug abuse, when they are the purveyors of all sorts of mind altering chemicals in order to make huge profits.

I am not the medical industry.
    Abhorring those who have great material wealth when in reality you're doing the lottery twice a week.

Tax on the poor.
    I don't do it
    Women who are self proclaimed feminists and believe in being true to themselves, and yet put on the facemask and stilettos at the weekend.

Feminism is alright for a while, but it'll never get you a husband.
    So fair play to them.
    I could go on...

Please do..........

Leaving out government and the pharmaceutical industry there is a huge difference between individuals and one of the top listened to radio show hosts in Ireland.
    We're talking big time hypocrisy here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

No. Depends on circumstances and post mortem results etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Have I stumbled into some mysterious time-warp thread? Has not this discussion been had twice here already? No wonder my post count is so low, I should post more and read less.

Ireland is a goldfish bowl; in more ways than one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Gerry Ryan. Cause Of Death. The Head Shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

I could go on...
    I dont do any of the above so what I say stands, he was a hyprocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭matamoros1965

Will there be a time when someone doing a show like Gerry's can be open about their drug use? Not soon, I think. If the show includes commentary on current affairs, then the presenter is compelled to be hypocritical in this regard. Hypocrisy is asking standards of others that you don't hold yourself. The big money and lifestyle sometimes heals the pain of being a hypocrit. He's definitely guilty on that count but so am I sometimes. I always felt that there was a yearning in Gerry to want to more successful than he was and the excerpts from his book reflect that. I hadn't listened to him for years, I couldn't take any more of the U2/Harry Crosbie/Bon Viveur stuff. On the "drugs ban", you have to know that someone takes drugs to institute a ban. Someone is telling or has told lies regarding their behaviour. Which one or both?
    Finally, it's difficult to be fully honest with yourself and others, try it, it really is a mind expander.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chanel Coco

:)
    Gucky wrote: »
    I didnt mind Gerry Ryan at all.
    I understand some folk found him irritating etc, but personally I really enjoyed listening to his shows, and I really felt like I had 'company' for 3 hours a day when he was on air whilst I was on the road with work.

I couldnt give 2 hoots as to what they found in his system, cocaine or otherwise! At the end of the day, there are a few children who will be without a father at Christmas this year!

May he R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Chanel Coco

nice comment..but your 53 year old dad dies from cocaine..how embarrassing and not a great example.......and total hypocrite..I remember listening to him when Kathy French was in a coma fighting for her life...how could he of gone and done exactly what she did...its just so so disappointing...genuinely liked the guy but feel ill now in the pit of my stomach.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

keanooo wrote: »
    I said zero commentary on the topic. Read the "articles". Like mikom said earlier, all they did was regurgitate the press releases. Is it not worthy of one opinion piece over the weekend edition?
    I'm sorry, I find it difficult to understand the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

I could go on...
    You have gone on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I drink a lot of coffee. Both are alkaloids. Best keep away from that stuff:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

stovelid wrote: »
    Poor people from families with generational neglect and drug abuse take drugs = scum

Wealthy celebrities take drugs = depressed

exactly

Will there be a time when someone doing a show like Gerry's can be open about their drug use? Not soon, I think. If the show includes commentary on current affairs, then the presenter is compelled to be hypocritical in this regard. Hypocrisy is asking standards of others that you don't hold yourself. The big money and lifestyle sometimes heals the pain of being a hypocrit. He's definitely guilty on that count but so am I sometimes. I always felt that there was a yearning in Gerry to want to more successful than he was and the excerpts from his book reflect that. I hadn't listened to him for years, I couldn't take any more of the U2/Harry Crosbie/Bon Viveur stuff. On the "drugs ban", you have to know that someone takes drugs to institute a ban. Someone is telling or has told lies regarding their behaviour. Which one or both?
    Finally, it's difficult to be fully honest with yourself and others, try it, it really is a mind expander.

Yes, sometimes the job automatically means your a hypocrite. bad example but if Tubridy is fawning over Westlife on the Late Late, does it mean he listens to their CD's at home and goes to their concerts?

Radio presenters often tell the people/public what they want to hear, not what they think themselves. It's pandering to/dumbing down to the audience., in order to keep people listening and keep your job. Simple as.

If enough people favoured the legalisation of drugs etc, or it was considered a popular proposal then a presenter might talk openly and in support of such action. However if the concensus is 'drugs are bad, drug dealers are bad' that will be reflected on talk shows, and in presenter 'opinions'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

chordtype wrote: »
    Cockhead.

fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't really understand the bile on this thread.

If you believe (as I do) that Gerry was an irritating cockspanner, then the fact that he's now dead from self-inflicted substance abuse ought to cheer you up a little, no? How much do you have to hate the man to be metaphorically jumping up and down on his grave shouting about it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Conas wrote: »
    You're so wrong my friend, and everything you wrote above is just false.
    How do you know?
    Gerry took drugs because he was depressed and was clearly struggling to keep himself together. This has been well documented. He didn't take drugs because he liked them, he took them because he was in a bad place and needed something to help him cope. Sadly he took the wrong stuff.
    That just seems naive. How is it so unlikely that he just did coke because he enjoyed it, but then it got out of control?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah I'm not feeling this whole "he was under huge stress so he turned to cocaine" thing that RTÉ (nice puff piece on friday evening news) and the Indo (16 pages??) have got going on...the way it works in the real world is that people get into taking coke and the stress emanates from there as it impacts on them financially, socially, emotionally and in terms of their health...they do more of it to try and deal with the stress and related problems and it snowballs.
    You don't get up to your eyeballs in debt, go through a divorce and all that other stuff and then turn to drugs to help you deal with it...in reality the drug itself is usually the catalyst that sets all the wheels in motion.
    Lumen wrote:
    the fact that he's now dead from self-inflicted substance abuse ought to cheer you up a little, no?

Jeez I hope not. I wouldn't wish untimely death on anyone in earnest and since most of me and my mates abuse substances on a regular basis it would be very hypocritical of any of us to take any pleasure in this man's death.
    What I do take away from it is a satisfaction that someone who preached about moral standards re; drug abuse and other perceived societal ills was themselves no better than most of the rest of us when it came down to it...for me that underlines where we are as a nation... a whole bunch of people that are happy to listen to what essentially amounts to a pack of lies and live our lives according to the values that those espousing them have no intention of following themselves. (priests, politicians, property pimps etc)
    Like I said in my initial post I'd like this revelation to initiate an adult debate on drugs in this country ... sadly I know it won't... if anyhting it will lead to a renewed drive against the drug culture from on high (but probably not against the supply ring that Ryan himself used) , cheered on by people who will be of the opinion that drugs and drug dealers stole one of the country's shining lights and that a tragedy such as this one could have been avoided if only we'd crack down on drugs with more legislation, more police, longer sentences etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

It says in today's Irish Mail on Sunday that some of his colleagues at Rte knew he did it at the Rte premises and that he would spend thousands at a time buying it, getting it delivered to his house so nobody would find out. No wonder a man on about 6 grand a week after tax didn't want to take a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Wertz wrote: »
    for me that underlines where we are as a nation... a whole bunch of people that are happy to listen to what essentially amounts to a pack of lies and live our lives according to the values that those espousing them have no intention of following themselves. (priests, politicians, property pimps etc)
    Like I said in my initial post I'd like this revelation to initiate an adult debate on drugs in this country ... sadly I know it won't... if anyhting it will lead to a renewed drive against the drug culture from on high (but probably not against the supply ring that Ryan himself used) , cheered on by people who will be of the opinion that drugs and drug dealers stole one of the country's shining lights and that a tragedy such as this one could have been avoided if only we'd crack down on drugs with more legislation, more police, longer sentences etc etc.

+1... It seems clear that there is a real disconnect between the habits we indulge in in private, and the behaviour we project to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes, sometimes the job automatically means your a hypocrite. bad example but if Tubridy is fawning over Westlife on the Late Late, does it mean he listens to their CD's at home and goes to their concerts?

Radio presenters often tell the people/public what they want to hear, not what they think themselves. It's pandering to/dumbing down to the audience., in order to keep people listening and keep your job. Simple as.

If enough people favoured the legalisation of drugs etc, or it was considered a popular proposal then a presenter might talk openly and in support of such action. However if the concensus is 'drugs are bad, drug dealers are bad' that will be reflected on talk shows, and in presenter 'opinions'.

Regardless of your job, if you adopt a 'do as I say, don't do as I do' attitude then you are a hypocrite and lose all credibility in my eyes.

Rightly or wrongly Gerry Ryan was a stabilising figurehead for a huge amount of people in this country entertaining people with his show, where he never passed up an opportunity to interject his own views, and that included his views on the misuse of drugs. Is it any wonder a lot of those people feel shocked and betrayed?

Regardless of your job, if you adopt a 'do as I say, don't do as I do' attitude then you are a hypocrite and lose all credibility in my eyes.

Being a talk radio show host is not an average job, and I just explained the radio/tv host hypocrisy paradox so to speak.

In fact the illusion is that people in modern broadcast media are real, and it all comes from the heart, when in fact it's all about selling you products at the end of the day. You've all been duped. Sorry to break it to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sindo
    AMID a welter of concern about the prevalence of drug abuse in Irish society, gardai are not investigating the question of who supplied cocaine to the late Gerry Ryan.

The latest drugs-related high-profile death highlights the corrosive effect of organised crime across the social divide.

An inquest on Friday heard that Mr Ryan died of arrythmia triggered by his use of cocaine with alcohol. A verdict of death by misadventure was recorded.

While no investigation will now take place, gardai believe that Mr Ryan was supplied with cocaine by a gang controlled by the notorious criminal, 'Fat' Freddie Thompson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It is in the indo today today that joe jackson knew he took drugs for over 16 years also sam's smith has said FEW of those who knew him well were shocked by the news that cocaine probably triggered the heart attack that killed Gerry Ryan.

Most of them were more surprised by inspired leaks shortly after his death last April, claiming that toxicology tests from the autopsy had shown no traces of cocaine.

It was a disingenuous lie no matter how well intentioned and it only added embarrassment to the sorrow of those who loved him most. and jim cusack security correspondent says fat freddie is his dealer, So fat freddie killed our gerry. enough said i am finished with this as there are people dying every day from drug/alcohol abuse and there familes need as much support as gerry ryans family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

realies wrote: »
    It is in the indo today today that joe jackson knew he took drugs for over 16 years also sam's smith has said FEW of those who knew him well were shocked by the news that cocaine probably triggered the heart attack that killed Gerry Ryan.
    Yeah, with the news that he has been on coke for at least 16 years, I expect that a lot of posters here who were making excuses for him - claiming that he had started using coke because was depressed due to his marraige break-up - will be admitting that they were wrong...

*waits*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The "He turned to cocaine because he was depressed and under stress" stuff is pretty galling. I'm gonna wager the truth is closer to "He enjoyed partying" (as do many, not a criticism - although if he took a lot of cocaine on a regular basis, irresponsible of him) then things started going wrong in his life (not necessarily as a result of the drug, they could have been happening anyway)... THEN he sought solace in the drug. And nothing particularly heinous about much of the above IMO - all very human behaviour, with a terribly tragic end. But please don't feed us this sh1t of "Gerry wasn't like mere mortals who take drugs". He was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement