Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

So who was sending him threatening texts that made him go grey in the middle of the night?http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Like anyone who takes drugs he just denied it, and was a great pretender. It just so happens his job was broadcasting and so it it was a very public pretense. No great mystery, no great shock, no big calculated deceit, no awareness of hypocrisy or anything. Just Gerry, addicted to drugs, pretending otherwise and doing his radio show day in day out, and then it killed him. No need for vitriol. He's dead. It's another sad end to a human life. Leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

epiphone wrote: »
    So who was sending him threatening texts that made him go grey in the middle of the night?http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm completely with @policeman in saying the government should take over the production of addictive drugs.

It should also supply them for free to addicts under stringent observation, but only on condition that they enter a well-designed and -run complex of treatment, with job training where necessary, and help in getting any jobs there might be, to help them to exit their addiction.

This would take the profits right out from under the drugs gangs - it would be the single most effective thing the country could do to end the plunge into a crime war.

As for Gerry Ryan - I'm really shocked. Knew him a little when he was younger, and he was a nice guy.
    Originally Posted by epiphone View Post
    So who was sending him threatening texts that made him go grey in the middle of the night?

My question too. Was he being bullied by dealers? Bosses? Bankers? Whoever has his phone now knows who the texts were from.

I find it pretty astonishing that the Gardaí aren't going to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Look's like G.Ryan was just a larger than life bleedin hypocrite. TBH I ain't one bit suprised, never liked the dude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In fairness, he HAD to pretend to be anti drugs - that would have been more of an editorial policy, not his - and once his show wasn't pretty much based on preaching about the ills of drug use (like Joe Duffy's or Neil Prendeville's) and it wasn't, I wouldn't hold that against him. I used to veer between his and Pat Kenny's shows when I was off, and I thought Ryan was a good presenter (if not endearing as a personality) and definitely preferred him to D'arcy, and anti drugs tirades were very much NOT on the agenda. I've no doubt there were drug-related pieces, human interest stories etc, but of course there were - it was that kind of show, and dominated by an audience that wanted that kind of programme material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

Once again it is typical of this back water banana republic how those at the highest echelons of our country close rank to protect the establishment. Which in one respect you can't blame them, sure when you get to those heights the establishment becomes you close friends :/

It is the same in the media as it is in politics. Today is probably one of the only days I will have the tiniest respect for the rag news papers as they are not holding back on their revelations, unlike newstalk this morning when they did their newspaper review and commented on the fact they would not be discussing the Gerry revelations. Have we no resoect for the dead? :rolleyes:

Fair play to Brenda Power for her piece in the Sunday times though.

Just to add, I have nothing against the man but his death could be put to better use as part of the over all anti drug campaign rather than being swept under the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

His dealer or someone else to whom he owed money?
    Possible blackmailer?

As for "Fat Freddy" killed G Ryan... was a gun put to the mans head to take the stuff? This is the part of the pusher argument I hate...people seek out the drug, not the other way around... sure, they may initially be introduced to the drug (usually by friends) but it is they who keep going back for more.
    Fat Freddy and others like him exploit the prohibited status of their product to set the price and use the illegality to enforce their dominance of the market through violence and murder.

If (a monumental "if") cocaine was legally available in a pharmacist at a taxed price of, say ~50% of the street price, with an assurance of quality/purity and with the attendant health, contra-indications and drug interaction warnings, would we see half the problems it's currently causing?
    Would we need to have radio presenters saying one thing and doing another? Would they need to hide their habit (and it's detrimental effects?) from the public? Wouldn't we have earlier intervention where a health issue arises?
    Driving the substance and the market underground means you drive the user underground as well. So many people are afraid to come forward to family, friends or even their doctor and admit that drugs may be having a detrimental effect on their lives for fear of being branded the junkie or the scumbag, for fear of it affecting their job, their marriage, social standing....can't we all please get away from this notion that using drugs somehow makes you a bad person? It's only the law that makes you a bad person or that seeks to punish you, or that ultimately makes high profile drug users in to hypocrites...Gerry never neglected to mention that he loved a drink and a cigar, much like most of us...he could never mention a fondness for something that's illegal though, even if it was ultimately his undoing, for fear of a public backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I dont really care to be honest. Funny and decent guy, I miss you gerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fair play to Brenda Power for her piece in the Sunday times though.

What did she say or do you have a link by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Wertz wrote: »
    His dealer or someone else to whom he owed money?
    Possible blackmailer?

As for "Fat Freddy" killed G Ryan... was a gun put to the mans head to take the stuff? This is the part of the pusher argument I hate...people seek out the drug, not the other way around... sure, they may initially be introduced to the drug (usually by friends) but it is they who keep going back for more.
    Fat Freddy and others like him exploit the prohibited status of their product to set the price and use the illegality to enforce their dominance of the market through violence and murder.

If (a monumental "if") cocaine was legally available in a pharmacist at a taxed price of, say ~50% of the street price, with an assurance of quality/purity and with the attendant health, contra-indications and drug interaction warnings, would we see half the problems it's currently causing?
    Would we need to have radio presenters saying one thing and doing another? Would they need to hide their habit (and it's detrimental effects?) from the public? Wouldn't we have earlier intervention where a health issue arises?
    Driving the substance and the market underground means you drive the user underground as well. So many people are afraid to come forward to family, friends or even their doctor and admit that drugs may be having a detrimental effect on their lives for fear of being branded the junkie or the scumbag, for fear of it affecting their job, their marriage, social standing....can't we all please get away from this notion that using drugs somehow makes you a bad person? It's only the law that makes you a bad person or that seeks to punish you, or that ultimately makes high profile drug users in to hypocrites...Gerry never neglected to mention that he loved a drink and a cigar, much like most of us...he could never mention a fondness for something that's illegal though, even if it was ultimately his undoing, for fear of a public backlash.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

His dealer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

If gerry had been using coke for 16yrs+ id say he hated it and thought of himself as a scumbag so he was probably being genuine when he condemed drug dealers and users.
    People are always shocked when they hear of someone like gerry ryan taking cocaine it is everywhere, its in every city,town and village in ireland and is easily available and i'm sure rte is riddled with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

It is the same in the media as it is in politics. Today is probably one of the only days I will have the tiniest respect for the rag news papers as they are not holding back on their revelations, unlike newstalk this morning when they did their newspaper review and commented on the fact they would not be discussing the Gerry revelations. Have we no resoect for the dead? :rolleyes:

In fairness, most people in radio in this country probably knew Gerry Ryan well. If you lost a colleague in similar circumstances would you broadcast stories that are likely to be upsetting to his family and friends? I dont think it's fair to expect them to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    In fairness, most people in radio in this country probably knew Gerry Ryan well. If you lost a colleague in similar circumstances would you broadcast stories that are likely to be upsetting to his family and friends? I dont think it's fair to expect them to

No I wouldn't. Which is why I said "Which in one respect you can't blame them, sure when you get to those heights the establishment becomes your close friends :/"

But because they don't know someone should that mean they can cascade them on the airwaves? I am sure people who are not their friends have families etc.

The problem once again is that this country is too small and every one at the top is a friend of a friend and they look after each other. Which in fairness goes all the way down the ladder :/
    That would be the Oirish Problem.
    amdublin wrote: »
    What did she say or do you have a link by any chance?

It was in the print edition and I can't find it on line. Header was "nobody to blame for Ryan's death but himself"
    Basically the person every one should be angry at is the one they can't take it out on. Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Anyone who puts himself forward in the public domain and makes points related to morality is fair game for criticism, dead or alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Coke is and always was rampant in tv/ showbiz circles ,that's not to say everybody from the celeb down to the tea lady took it .But you have to be hypocrite and insulting the inteligence of the public to be lecturing on the perils of drug taking while sticking tons of blow up yer nose

He was on £600,000 annual pay and stresses out about his finances .So the solution was to spend another grand on some blow and over the years probably blew a fortune on it , while in hock big time to the bank and according to media reports with abusive texts he was getting , god knows who else . Problem was the bank wasn't lending anymore .

The Conclusion ? .....Gerry was living beyond his means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Joe Duffy.

aka Keyser Söze.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i think enough has been said now at this stage we all have our own opinions like it or not good or bad
    this thread should be closed now.

IF IT WAS YOUR OWN FATHER WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE HEAR READING STORIES
    IM SURE THE ANSWER TO THAT IS NO.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

cosanostra wrote: »
    People are always shocked when they hear of someone like gerry ryan taking cocaine

One would have to be very naive to think that he was incapable of it. Those type of ''circles'' are rife with users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

People will be even more shocked if his body gets cremated and someone snorts his ashes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Kieth Richards never snorted his dads ashes but it sounds like something he might have done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i think enough has been said now at this stage we all have our own opinions like it or not good or bad
    this thread should be closed now.

IF IT WAS YOUR OWN FATHER WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE HEAR READING STORIES
    IM SURE THE ANSWER TO THAT IS NO.....

Gerry Ryan was a public figure and used his show as a forum to voice his hate for drugs on more than one occasion.

The public have a right to voice an opinion on his drug use. If his kids don't want to see it, well then they don't have to click into the thread.

The defence of "Gerry didn't like coke, he just used it cause he was depressed" is hilarious. I very much doubt Gerry's train of thought was "Oh God I hate cocaine so much, I'm gonna just do another line of this dreadful stuff". He liked it enough to do it, so saying he didn't like it is a bit silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

'He only did it because he was in debt and depressed'

.... BUT he was on 600000 a year!

There are people on less and under more stress yet they don't turn to cocaine.

He was a big fat hyopcrite. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

we need to make an example of gerry seeing as he had so many followers.. for he never had it so good; consequentially he never had it so bad.

a popular song, for gerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

We werent allowed to mention his cocaine habit when he was alive eventhough the dogs in the stree
    t knew he was caning the stuff for years.
    There was even graffiti on a wall in ballymun to the effect that he was a junkie and that was ten years ago.

In many ways i wouldve like if he'd tried to sue boards for defamation of character..he'd have had to lie in court and witnesses couldve been found to say he was a drug user and that would've made him look like the lying hypocrite he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I don't by the "he was someone's father" argument. Most men his age are fathers. Public figure = fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Paracore wrote: »
    So he was a cokehead. And the p$$s he used to take out of junkies on air. Stinks of hypocrisy me thinks...

Big difference between him & a junkie. You wouldn't expect to be hassled at bus stops by him hearing "giz a euro for me bus fare will ye", you wouldn't expect to see Gerry Ryan breaking into your house to feed his habit, & you certainly wouldn't expect to have a syringe put to your neck by Gerry Ryan demanding "yer walleh". The hypocrisy sticks alright, but not from Gerry Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

mloc wrote: »
    I don't by the "he was someone's father" argument. Most men his age are fathers. Public figure = fair game.

I'd disagree with you there, mioc. There's still decency and kindness. People have a right to expect that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement