Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

EnterNow wrote: »
    Big difference between him & a junkie. You wouldn't expect to be hassled at bus stops by him hearing "giz a euro for me bus fare will ye",

They employ TV licence inspectors for that collection job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Big difference between him & a junkie. You wouldn't expect to be hassled at bus stops by him hearing "giz a euro for me bus fare will ye", you wouldn't expect to see Gerry Ryan breaking into your house to feed his habit, & you certainly wouldn't expect to have a syringe put to your neck by Gerry Ryan demanding "yer walleh". The hypocrisy sticks alright, but not from Gerry Ryan.

no, would just expect to be talked over by an artifcially bolstered personality regardless. and they gave that air time. as an agony aunt! shock jock/coke bloke, jerry felt your pain but he didn't survive his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'd disagree with you there, mioc. There's still decency and kindness. People have a right to expect that.

Sure, I'm sure his family and kids are or are not great people. I don't really care what they are like, they aren't the issue here.

The issue here is that a man was spending up to 100k a year (according to recent tabloid sources, at least) on cocaine whilst taking a ridiculous moral stance against others who used the drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So because he blew his load in some bird we can't talk about the bad stuff he did ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Star Bingo wrote: »
    no, would just expect to be talked over by an artifcially bolstered personality regardless. and they gave that air time. as an agony aunt! shock jock/coke bloke, jerry felt your pain but he didn't survive his.

Well I liked him. Whatever he did in his own time was his own business as far as I'm concerned. If I got a laugh from him, or listened in on a topic I found interesting, well, that's all I wanted. I respected him for not being afraid to speak his mind, and if that meant going against whatever current government was in power, or RTE's policies, it wouldn't have mattered.

Now if you want to complain about agony aunts, there's another one in RTE that really is agony to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Spunge wrote: »
    So because he blew his load in some bird we can't talk about the bad stuff he did ?

Is that really necessary? Charming post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

It says in today's Irish Mail on Sunday that some of his colleagues at Rte knew he did it at the Rte premises

did he drug and drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337919/This-Gerry-fond-cocaine--16-17-years.html

Written by Gareth O'Callaghan ex RTE 2
    I always had great respect for Gerry the broadcaster. I have very little respect for anybody who courts the drugs dealers, who pays them and then goes on a radio show and condemns drug dealers as Gerry did.

Here he was, sneaking from his precious listeners, hiding himself so that none of the people who listened to him ritually every day would ever know this was going on.

Then again, when you become a drug addict you also become a pathological liar. You begin to lie so seriously you begin to believe the lies you are telling.

Gerry’s dealers were closer to him than his kids. That’s what dealers do. They become your ‘family’ and, eventually, you can’t do without them. You forsake everything that’s precious in return for your new ‘family’ because they sustain your habit.

Politicians, media ‘stars’, household names… they’re all snorting. The media know who they are – that’s the shocking state of justice in this country.

It’s pathetic. There is no difference between a high-flying socialite and the poor guy who is only one step away from death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If Gerry was a van driver bringing loaves of bread to the RTÉ canteen on a daily basis and RTÉ were paying him contractually, they don’t care whether the van driver was snorting cocaine once he delivered the bread.

Bit of biblical prose there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

pathway33 wrote: »
    did he drug and drive?

In his autobiography he described how one day he got a sudden urge to fly his helicopter in to RTE "like it was a car". So he flew at 100 ft down the Stillorgan road and in to the the RTE campus, right past the director general's office.
    After that he was more or less banned from flying into RTE.

He took up helicopter flying because he was going through a time in his life where he couldn't sleep, concentrate, read a book ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Originally Posted by Gareth O'Callaghan
    If Gerry was a van driver bringing loaves of bread to the RTÉ canteen on a daily basis and RTÉ were paying him contractually, they don’t care whether the van driver was snorting cocaine once he delivered the bread.

Now picture a tannoy system atop the van with Gerry decrying drug dealers and headshops as he drove along.
    Kinda like a hypocritical ice cream van.
    "One snow cone for me please"
    I respected him for not being afraid to speak his mind,

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Big difference between him & a junkie. You wouldn't expect to be hassled at bus stops by him hearing "giz a euro for me bus fare will ye", you wouldn't expect to see Gerry Ryan breaking into your house to feed his habit, & you certainly wouldn't expect to have a syringe put to your neck by Gerry Ryan demanding "yer walleh". The hypocrisy sticks alright, but not from Gerry Ryan.

Junkies wouldn't do that if they were on 600k a year either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

mike65 wrote: »

IIRC didn't Gareth O'Callaghans younger sister die after taking an ecstacy tablet at a house party. I think it was genuinely the first time the girl had taken ecstacy and it killed her within minutes of collapsing. Think she was 17 or 18 at the time.

That would explain his hatred of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

baalthor wrote: »
    In his autobiography he described how one day he got a sudden urge to fly his helicopter in to RTE "like it was a car". So he flew at 100 ft down the Stillorgan road and in to the the RTE campus, right past the director general's office.

He took up helicopter flying because he was going through a time in his life where he couldn't sleep, concentrate, read a book ....

Is the first paragraph detailing a hypothetical situation, or did he actually do that?

If so, he should have been sacked!

DubDani wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound mean, but why does his death require an inquest that probably costs the state quite a bit of money again?

He is dead, and if they are sure that he was not killed, then that's it. If I would die under the same circumstances, then there wouldn't be an inquest either.

Complete waste of taxpayers money IMO.

You're completely wrong. Any unusual death has an inquest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

R I P Gerry Ryan
    Though i cannot see how on earth you will,on around 500,000 euro a year and now you have probably left your family in debt for years due to your extravagances and cocaine habit,even remortaging the family homes 5 or 6 times how on earth was this habit not spotted with the amount of money that was involved sure beats me,its easy to see now where the money went 2000 euro a week on coke no wonder you had financial difficulties now your family will suffer for all this.
    I did listen occasionly to his show when driving,but always preferred Joe Duffy and tried to catch it most days

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

barney4001 wrote: »
    R I P Gerry Ryan
    Though i cannot see how on earth you will,on around 500,000 euro a year and now you have probably left your family in debt for years due to your extravagances and cocaine habit,even remortaging the family homes 5 or 6 times how on earth was this habit not spotted with the amount of money that was involved sure beats me,its easy to see now where the money went 2000 euro a week on coke no wonder you had financial difficulties now your family will suffer for all this.
    I did listen occasionly to his show when driving,but always preferred Joe Duffy and tried to catch it most days

Where in the name of fuc.k did u get that figure out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

R I P Gerry Ryan

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

baalthor wrote: »

He had a helicopter? What a rich bastard. You know the way Gerry Ryan wasn't employed by Rte but by some other company and was just hired out to Rte, did he pay Irish income tax?

like was the company irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

He had a helicopter? What a rich bastard. You know the way Gerry Ryan wasn't employed by Rte but by some other company and was just hired out to Rte, did he pay Irish income tax?

The company was his own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Source?

That was the headline on todays News Of The World. Maybe that's where he got it from, but I can't be sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    That was the headline on todays News Of The World. Maybe that's where he got it from, but I can't be sure.
    Hopefully that is where you got it from as that gives us the wherewithall to properly evaluate the content of your posts. It's good to know that posters on boards use such insightful, utterly reliable, accurate, non-senationalist sources to inform themselves on current events, so they can pass on these jewels of the journalistic craft to lessser intellects.

Did you like the other headline story they cariied on "How a cow ate my pet Martian and gave birth to green Heiniken bottles?" It was like just sooo believable. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Where in the name of fuc.k did u get that figure out of?

News Of The World today,well i suppose paper takes anything including siht:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

mathepac wrote: »
    Hopefully that is where you got it from as that gives us the wherewithall to properly evaluate the content of your posts. It's good to know that posters on boards use such insightful, utterly reliable, accurate, non-senationalist sources to inform themselves on current events, so they can pass on these jewels of the journalistic craft to lessser intellects.

Did you like the other headline story they cariied on "How a cow ate my pet Martian and gave birth to green Heiniken bottles?" It was like just sooo believable. :rolleyes:

Hey, take a look at who posted what. I never said he spent €2K a week on coke. Someone else made that statement and when a couple of members questioned his source I said it was on the front page of that particular paper this morning so maybe that's where he got it from, but I couldn't be sure.

Hopefully you'll glance at this long enough to realize you're in the wrong and you'll retract your stupid, patronizing comments directed towards me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Hey, take a look at who posted what. ...
    Sincere apologies my bad :o I incorrectly attributed the original nonsense post to you when in fact it was not your's. Feel free to shoot me on sight with a ball of my own ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Poor soul.
    It must be very stressful owning a helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

mike65 wrote: »

Why doesn't Gareth name a few people if its that easy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

R I P Gerry Ryan

Your post lost any bit of credibility when you said you listen to and prefer Joe Duffy.
    Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

whycliff wrote: »
    Your post lost any bit of credibility when you said you listen to and prefer Joe Duffy.
    Enough said

I've never heard Joe Duffy. My life is empty.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I've never heard Joe Duffy. My life is empty.:cool:

..........empty of the nausea of having heard joe duffy...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement