Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

nitrogen wrote: »
    And of course the prohibition made alcohol vanish in the US.

What is wrong with Ireland's attitude to drugs is sticking its head in the sand, ignoring the fact that one of the most abused and dangerous drugs is actually a drug, and of course saying one thing while doing another.

Making a substance illegal will never ban it completely, it only pushes it underground and increases crime. Human beings have the right to put anything into their system, without the government telling them what they can and cannot do.

A: boards needs sarcasm font
    B: did ya still not cop what position i'm in on this after reading my other few posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

whycliff wrote: »
    OK maybe he was selfish, he used drugs and had somewhat of a draw towards cocaine which in the end ended up killing him.

He's left behind a family whom I would be pretty certain will not be on the breadline or in the Q for the dole like 400,000 people around Ireland.

But do people here really need to be calling him a prick, *****r, smug b*statd druggy, junkie ect?

Ok maybe you didnt like his radio show, there are hundred others throughout Ireland.

There is a huge sense of satifaction from a lot of people on this thread that there was Cocaine found in his system so that they can stick the knife in and really twist it for whatever reason.

Its pretty sad on their part really.

no, i don't think so - I think people are just throwing their eyes to heaven now - because it seems like everyone in a position of power in this country or in a position to talk to the country, are all blatent hypocrites and liars. Its just another one to add to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

When they were closing the head shops yee were all "oh dey tuk our drugs" (yes i know, they wernt illegal at the time but they still fúcked alot of people up)

How many posts have i read in here from people who love their gear? Gerry was a big hypocritical coke head, big deal.
    His mates who dididnt know about it will probably have a wtf moment and that will be it. Other mates who knew, loved the man as he was.

There will be wetting of pants if someone can find Joe Duffy with a stash of bongs under his bed or an addiction to pain medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

If it hasn't been covered on Liveline by Joe (the almighty one) then it didn't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

themadchef wrote: »
    There will be wetting of pants if someone can find Joe Duffy with a stash of bongs under his bed or an addiction to pain medication.

Stranger things have happened.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I will cum where I stand at the very moment that's revealed.

or an S&M chamber in his gaff, or a past speeding fine, or....anything.

i'd love joe to get into any sort of trouble so i could rest easy knowing one last prick has been brought down a peg or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

just wondering about the people that was on the tribute to gerry ryan on the Late Late Show after his death.

Did they know he was taking cocaine - from what I remember they were remembering stories about them all going on holiday etc.

IN particular Dave Fanning was on the TV all around that time crying and saying he was one of his best friends - did he know he was taking drugs? And did they have anything to day on the subject over the past few days.

Don't think we've heard from Dave Fanning on it since Friday. Only one is Gaybo. Joe Jackson, journalist, spoke on the News at One about this topic. Anyone know if Mark Cagney commented on it on Ireland AM this morning given the fact that he comments on ALL the big stories and his own history (again courtesy of Joe Jackson)??

Lottie Ryan has been on RTE's The Daily Show since it started, with her piece on Celebs and The X Factor. She's due on this afternoon and they, too, comment on the big stories. Must be very rough for her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lottie Ryan has been on RTE's The Daily Show since it started, with her piece on Celebs and The X Factor. She's due on this afternoon and they, too, comment on the big stories. Must be very rough for her.

The great big RTE nepotism machine grinds on and on..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The attention to Gerrys finances really shows how much of our licence fee is a total f**ing waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

The attention to Gerrys finances really shows how much of our licence fee is a total f**ing waste.

Not sure what you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Degsy wrote: »

Whats the problem? After 30 years of good service in RTE why shouldnt a child of Gerry Ryan's have the opportunity to move into the same industry?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Whats the problem? After 30 years of good service in RTE why shouldnt a child of Gerry Ryan's have the opportunity to move into the same industry?

yeah - problem is the same logic applies with the healy-rae's of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Are you actually arguing for nepotism? On After Hours? This will end well! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Nepotism doesn't work...take a look at our political system..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

'Good service' is a debatable term!

She would be well advised to stay out of showbiz too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jobs should be handed out on merit and not because of who you're related to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Jobs should be handed out on merit and not because of who you're related to.

CORRECT AND GOOD LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

An even stronger version of the same nepotism also works well in the ESB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

An even stronger version of the same nepotism also works well in the ESB!

Shocking.

• Advertisement

yeah - problem is the same logic applies with the healy-rae's of this world
    ebixa82 wrote: »
    Nepotism doesn't work...take a look at our political system..

If you were a politician, and your son/daughter were interested in following you into politics, would you not assist them? Its not like your getting them into power, its the electorate who vote them in
    'Good service' is a debatable term!

She would be well advised to stay out of showbiz too!

If he wasent good at his job, he wouldnt have lasted 30 years. I wasent particularly a fan but the ratings dont lie

I'm not necessarily supporting nepotism, just making the point that a man or woman's lengthly service in any organisation should should stand to their son/daughter, in terms of showing their character, upbringing, and knowledge of the lifestyle of those within in the industry, be it entertainment, military, seafaring, or any such industry which involves an unusual lifestyle. Similarly, someone's bad record should count against their kids, eg P. Flynn/Bev Cooper Flynn etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I'm not necessarily supporting nepotism, just making the point that a man or woman's lengthly service in any organisation should should stand to their son/daughter, in terms of showing their character, upbringing, and knowledge of the lifestyle of those within in the industry, be it entertainment, military, seafaring, or any such industry which involves an unusual lifestyle. Similarly, someone's bad record should count against their kids, eg P. Flynn/Bev Cooper Flynn etc

Are you serious?

So Buzz Aldrin's kids should be chosen as astronauts ahead of anybody better qualified because he went to the moon?

If you were a politician, and your son/daughter were interested in following you into politics, would you not assist them? Its not like your getting them into power, its the electorate who vote them in

If he wasent good at his job, he wouldnt have lasted 30 years. I wasent particularly a fan but the ratings dont lie

People can keep their precious jobs for long by playing the political game very well, and not rocking the boat too much. I'm not saying this 100% applied to Gerry Ryan, but there is a well founded suspicion that RTE and their heavyweight broadcasters goes soft on certain influential people in society.

I remember working with junior staffers out in Donnybrook for broadcasts like the Budget coverage of years past and the amount who said to me they had an older relative working in the place was noticeably high.

Also, Bev Flynn is still a TD despite her and the family's obvious negative public history. So much for proper justice in this land!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

CELEBRITY PROFILE: LOTTIE RYAN
    NOVEMBER 1, 2010 20:14
    in TELEVISION & ENTERTAINMENT

http://bigmentaldisease.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/lottie-ryan.png

Lottie Ryan is the showbiz reporter for RTÉ’s The Daily Show, and it’s fair to day that she is making waves. When the Daily Show was in the planning stages, RTÉ bigwigs pondered launching a huge talent search to find the next showbiz star, à la Xposé’s Total Xposure competition a year back. Unfortunately for all the ambitious guys and gals out there, the idea was scrapped, as there was a daughter of Gerry Ryan’s to hand the gig to.

In 1986, Gerry climbed on top of wife Morah and inserted his schlong in her vagina. A few minutes later, Lottie’s journey to the top was underway. She really is a talented young woman. Every week she pops into the studio to talk about the latest celeb goss, her ability to drone on for a few minutes about the X-Factor and regurgitate stories from TMZ.com is astounding. It’s heartening to see some young talent coming through the ranks. I’m looking forward to seeing the path Ryan Tubridy’s kids follow. And what’s more, I’m looking forward to paying for it.
    :p

Are you serious?

So Buzz Aldrin's kids should be chosen as astronauts ahead of anybody better qualified because he went to the moon?

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that his record should stand to his kids. If someone is has been in an organisation along time, you know what kind of person they are. Should this be ignored? They're also likely to have a far greater knowledge of whats involved in the job

It works both ways, if you had a lazy, ignoraant pr!ck working for you, would you employ his son? I'm not saying that the parents history should be the deciding factor,just that it should be taken into account

Also, Bev Flynn is still a TD despite her and the family's obvious negative public history. So much for proper justice in this land!

Yea agree with you. I wouldnt vote for her on the basis of what her Father done. Tbf though, I wouldnt have voted for her on the basis of her own record anyway

The only example I give to support my argument is me own situation. I work at sea, as did my Da. We work for different companies, however having grown up with my Da at sea I had a good idea of whats involved, both from what I heard from him and in experiencing him being away so much for long periods. Having come from a seafaring family, I reckon this certainly helped me in the interview's for my job

I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that his record should stand to his kids. If someone is has been in an organisation along time, you know what kind of person they are. Should this be ignored? They're also likely to have a far greater knowledge of whats involved in the job

It works both ways, if you had a lazy, ignoraant pr!ck working for you, would you employ his son? I'm not saying that the parents history should be the deciding factor,just that it should be taken into account

Yea agree with you. I wouldnt vote for her on the basis of what her Father done. Tbf though, I wouldnt have voted for her on the basis of her own record anyway

The only example I give to support my argument is me own situation. I work at sea, as did my Da. We work for different companies, however having grown up with my Da at sea I had a good idea of whats involved, both from what I heard from him and in experiencing him being away so much for long periods. Having come from a seafaring family, I reckon this certainly helped me in the interview's for my job

But you got employment through a different company, so its not the same situation as Gerry Ryan's daughter in fairness.

Hope you find the job rewarding.

But you got employment through a different company, so its not the same situation as Gerry Ryan's daughter in fairness.

Hope you find the job rewarding.

Yea its a different situation alright, but my point was just that your family history/upbringing is relevent to certain jobs, shouldnt be a deciding factor though by any means

And yea I do thanks, but I would say that now because Im home on leave:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Most people end up going into the family trade, don't they? It doesn't mean you should get advantages because your father is a carpenter, say, but it often means you do get an inner track, because he'll have the contacts for work - and you'll have grown up in a milieu where it's the norm that you know the difference between a screwdriver and a chisel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

A: boards needs sarcasm font
    B: did ya still not cop what position i'm in on this after reading my other few posts?

I see, as I say with my tail behind my legs. I wasn't following the thread at all – only eavesdropping on the ends of the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

the level of BS in this thread and people jumping all over it to call him a hypocrite, sad.
    He was a radio personality and a good one imo, he had an addiction and it looks like it unfortunately got the better of him. Alot of people suffer from addiction even though they may feel and know its not the right thing to do they keep doing it, what did you expect for him to do, come on air and promote it... he done right to condemn the scumbag gangs, if there was no drug trade they would be shooting each other over something else anyway

RIP Gerry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement