Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

now, i have sympathy for his family. but why on earth the licence payer is being screwed again by this man is beyond me. his family has absolutely no right to a pension as he forfeited that right when he contracted himself out for big bucks.

this is a disgrace. why exactly should this family get preferential treatment from a state body when other families around the country would be told to swing? another fine example of what's wrong with this country.
    True. We are shafted again.

Turnstyle wrote: »
    he done right to condemn the scumbag gangs, if there was no drug trade they would be shooting each other over something else anyway
    No he done bad. The gangs exist to serve people like him - it's not complicated ffs. Are you familiar with supply and demand?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I'm not necessarily supporting nepotism, just making the point that a man or woman's lengthly service in any organisation should should stand to their son/daughter, in terms of showing their character, upbringing, and knowledge of the lifestyle of those within in the industry, be it entertainment, military, seafaring, or any such industry which involves an unusual lifestyle. Similarly, someone's bad record should count against their kids, eg P. Flynn/Bev Cooper Flynn etc
    That IS nepotism. Ironically, Beverly Cooper Flynn proved to be just as bad as her dad. There's no way you should enjoy advantages because of who your folks are - that is blatantly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

That IS nepotism.... There's no way you should enjoy advantages because of who your folks are - that is blatantly wrong.

In the case of politics, all over the world the children of politicians have a distinct home advantage, and are more easily elected than unknowns. Elected, though. It's up to the voters to choose.

It's up to the voters to choose.
    This is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

In the case of politics, all over the world the children of politicians have a distinct home advantage, and are more easily elected than unknowns. Elected, though. It's up to the voters to choose.

And they choose to get their pot holes filled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

"RTE is an equal opportunitys employer. But if you're related to someone working with us, you're more equal than plebs off the street"
    http://www.rte.ie/about/jobs/careers.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Turnstyle wrote: »
    the level of BS in this thread and people jumping all over it to call him a hypocrite, sad.
    He was a radio personality and a good one imo, he had an addiction and it looks like it unfortunately got the better of him. Alot of people suffer from addiction even though they may feel and know its not the right thing to do they keep doing it, what did you expect for him to do, come on air and promote it... he done right to condemn the scumbag gangs, if there was no drug trade they would be shooting each other over something else anyway

RIP Gerry

So, you're agreeing that gerry was a hypocrite, but we're sad for saying it? And because "a lot of people have an addiction" its excusable? He died in debt, voiding his life insurance, leaving his 5 kids penniless. Pull the other one. If "a lot of people do it" was a defense, our jails would be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Paparazzo wrote: »
    voiding his life insurance

A bit off topic here but I'd be very, very surprised if that ends up happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Most people end up going into the family trade, don't they?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

A bit off topic here but I'd be very, very surprised if that ends up happening.

You are SO wrong....Insurers will stump up after all of this as its a great way for them to send out a signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

An article on independent.ie says most insurance policys are void, if the person on the policy is using illegal drugs, non prescription when they die or their death is caused by using drugs , ie cocaine ,His family will have to sell the family home in order to pay his debts,300k approx as the insurance policys he had may be invalid., maybe some other persons may be put off using drugs due to all this publicity this matter is getting .
    , even a successfull middle class person can die from using coke.insurers are not in the business of sending signals .Maybe its only the middle class that can afford it, hash is good enough for working class people or students.BUT in my experience most people just do not use drugs of any kind ,unless you count beer as a drug.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    You are SO wrong....Insurers will stump up after all of this as its a great way for them to send out a signal.

Sorry, do you mean they won't stump up?

ricman wrote: »
    An article on independent.ie says most insurance policys are void, if the person on the policy is using illegal drugs, non prescription when they die or their death is caused by using drugs , ie cocaine ,His family will have to sell the family home in order to pay his debts,300k approx as the insurance policys he had may be invalid., maybe some other persons may be put off using drugs due to all this publicity this matter is getting .
    , even a successfull middle class person can die from using coke.insurers are not in the business of sending signals .

Perhaps. There is a lot of may, most and might being used in the reporting of this though. Also, the coroners report says he probably died from cocaine - not definitely. That has to mean something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Are we still talking about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i dont think any less of jerry ryan just because he took cocaine, he was an adult, cocaine is a drug, drink is a drug, and i do drink now and then, but i have nothing but admiration for jerry ryan, i loved his programme, i have not put the radio on since he passed away, no one comes near him and never will, he was simply the best, forget the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

goat2 wrote: »
    i dont think any less of jerry ryan just because he took cocaine, he was an adult, cocaine is a drug, drink is a drug, and i do drink now and then, but i have nothing but admiration for jerry ryan, i loved his programme, i have not put the radio on since he passed away, no one comes near him and never will, he was simply the best, forget the rest

All that admiration and you still don't know he spelled his name with a 'G'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

So you admire someone that says one thing but does the complete opposite for many, many years?
    Riiiiiight.
    And yes he was an adult. With responsibilities to his family. By living his lifestyle the way he did he robbed his children of a father. And he put his family in an incredibly awkward & difficult position because of his decisions.

Love him or hate him, wherever he is he must be burning with shame at how things worked out.

easyeason3 wrote: »
    So you admire someone that says one thing but does the complete opposite for many, many years?
    Riiiiiight.
    And yes he was an adult. With responsibilities to his family. By living his lifestyle the way he did he robbed his children of a father. And he put his family in an incredibly awkward & difficult position because of his decisions.

Love him or hate him, wherever he is he must be burning with shame at how things worked out.

didnt we all admire haughey when he was spending like there was no tomorrow and telling us to tighten our belts, Gerry is not the first to say one thing and do the other, we all make good and bad decisions, no one is perfect.

didnt we all admire haughey when he was spending like there was no tomorrow and telling us to tighten our belts, Gerry is not the first to say one thing and do the other, we all make good and bad decisions, no one is perfect.

Well no, I can't say I admired Haughey at all. Probably due to the fact that I was more interested in filling my nappy & generally acting the git as a baby.

And no he's not the first, or the last, to say one thing & then do another but if you have fcuked up then you have to take the blows that come with it. Particularly when you have lived your life in the public eye.

• Advertisement

Well no, I can't say I admired Haughey at all. Probably due to the fact that I was more interested in filling my nappy & generally acting the git as a baby.

And no he's not the first, or the last, to say one thing & then do another but if you have fcuked up then you have to take the blows that come with it. Particularly when you have lived your life in the public eye.

our present government then, telling us with the past 10 yrs that we were a very rich country, when we were living on borrowed time, as i say no one is perfect, i am not and i dont know anyone who is, Gerry harmed nobody but himself and it is being blown out of proportion,

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

ricman wrote: »
    Maybe its only the middle class that can afford it, hash is good enough for working class people or students.BUT in my experience most people just do not use drugs of any kind ,unless you count beer as a drug.

But beer is a drug, one of the most dangerous and widely used one at that.
    And its not like everyone is open about there drug use. You would be very surprised about the amount of people who do drugs, they just don't do them openly.
    And they don't do them secretly and then extremely publicly denounce them.

our present government then, telling us with the past 10 yrs that we were a very rich country, when we were living on borrowed time, as i say no one is perfect, i am not and i dont know anyone who is, Gerry harmed nobody but himself and it is being blown out of proportion,

The FF argument is very weak to be honest.
    And I suppose he harmed his family, his partner, his friends, his loyal adoring fans that could spell his name...the list goes on.

what did he do to his family, he always spoke well of them, loved them, admired them, he was a perfect father, with a weakness like most humans

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

As Gerry and his ould mate duffy would say, drug users are hurting all parts of society. For duffy to come out and say now this

"Joe Duffy added today that while Gerry may have ultimately done himself fatal damage through his cocaine addiction, he never did anything to hurt anyone else."

is again extremely hypocritical.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/i-was-naive-about-gerrys-coke-use-admits-duffy-as-dunne-attacks-stars-silent-pals-2458813.html

what did he do to his family, he always spoke well of them, loved them, admired them, he was a perfect father, with a weakness like most humans

Are you serious? What did he do to his family?

For starters he hid behind this holier than thou attitude about drugs when he was the very one taking them. This contributed to his death. His whole entire lifestyle was ridiculous. And this is a man who fronted a television programme to turn peoples lives around to start losing weight & eating more healthy.

Are you serious? What did he do to his family?

For starters he hid behind this holier than thou attitude about drugs when he was the very one taking them. This contributed to his death. His whole entire lifestyle was ridiculous. And this is a man who fronted a television programme to turn peoples lives around to start losing weight & eating more healthy.

there were men of the cloth hiding behind the holier than thou and ruining childrens lives.But Gerry Ryan never gave the impression of being holier than thou, he harmed no other human being

there were men of the cloth hiding behind the holier than thou and ruining childrens lives.But Gerry Ryan never gave the impression of being holier than thou, he harmed no other human being

Ah here mate, there's so much wrong with everything you have said I don't know where to start.
    It doesn't mean anything to me anyway. He could have snorted an ant farm for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He helped fund murdering criminal gangs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He helped fund murdering criminal gangs.

He did worse than that, he got the Head Shop in Clontarf closed down!!!

Nah, joking, I don't care that he was a 'hypocrite' -sure we all wear a goody-goody mask for work. It's work. Nonsense we do to make money!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement