Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

tommyhaas wrote: »
    You could say the same about anyone who ever did drugs.

Yeah, but I doubt anyone else on here is pontificating on the radio while taking several hundred large a year off the taxpayer for being a hypocrite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

goat2 wrote: »
    i dont think any less of jerry ryan just because he took cocaine, he was an adult, cocaine is a drug, drink is a drug, and i do drink now and then, but i have nothing but admiration for jerry ryan, i loved his programme, i have not put the radio on since he passed away, no one comes near him and never will, he was simply the best, forget the rest

It's Gerry..
    didnt we all admire haughey when he was spending like there was no tomorrow and telling us to tighten our belts, Gerry is not the first to say one thing and do the other, we all make good and bad decisions, no one is perfect.

Did we f.uck!
    our present government then, telling us with the past 10 yrs that we were a very rich country, when we were living on borrowed time, as i say no one is perfect, i am not and i dont know anyone who is, Gerry harmed nobody but himself and it is being blown out of proportion,

Do you not think he has harmed his young family, leaving them without a father and probably, due to a nullified insurance policy, with very little financial support for the rest of their lives. Do you not thing that losing the family home will hurt them?
    what did he do to his family, he always spoke well of them, loved them, admired them, he was a perfect father, with a weakness like most humans

See above point. Speaking well of your family means f.uck all when you leave them with nothing.
    there were men of the cloth hiding behind the holier than thou and ruining childrens lives.But Gerry Ryan never gave the impression of being holier than thou, he harmed no other human being

So you need to compare Gerry Ryan to rapists and paedophiles in an attempt to justify your argument?

What an epic fail of an opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Do you not think he has harmed his young family, leaving them without a father and probably, due to a nullified insurance policy, with very little financial support for the rest of their lives. Do you not thing that losing the family home will hurt them?

This is another niggle of the whole thing.

Are we to believe that he earned 600k a year, had a five children, a lush house in Clontarf...and a fcuking helicopter....and has managed to not only default on his life insurance, but somehow managed to leave his family with nothing?

Did nobody in his family have the sense to put away a little bit of that 600k per annum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

This is another niggle of the whole thing.

Are we to believe that he earned 600k a year, had a five children, a lush house in Clontarf...and a fcuking helicopter....and has managed to not only default on his life insurance, but somehow managed to leave his family with nothing?

Did nobody in his family have the sense to put away a little bit of that 600k per annum?

Afaik he bought that house in the late early '90's, before the bubble. He was on an increasinly massive salary on the '00's.
    Even with a coke habit,How the fcuk did he not have most of the mortgage paid off at this stage?

Poly wrote: »
    Afaik he bought that house in the late early '90's, before the bubble. He was on an increasinly massive salary on the '00's.
    Even with a coke habit,How the fcuk did he not have most of the mortgage paid off at this stage?

Indeed.
    You would think that wifey would have the sense to put money away...rainy day and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Degsy wrote: »
    Are you serious?

So Buzz Aldrin's kids should be chosen as astronauts ahead of anybody better qualified because he went to the moon?

Bit did he Degsy,did he ?????????????????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

M three wrote: »
    Wouldnt deface an irish mountain with obese cokehead gerry ryans fat mug.

Well we'v already got statues of a prostitute, junkie and terrorist in dublin....:D
    Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but I doubt anyone else on here is pontificating on the radio while taking several hundred large a year off the taxpayer for being a hypocrite.

So what should he have done, admitted it on air? Its no different then a sparks in the ESB doing it every weekend, he's taking money of the taxpayer in the same way, and he's not going to admit it to his colleauges

I agree he got paid far to much, but you cant blame him for that, he just got what RTE were willing to pay him

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So what should he have done, admitted it on air? Its no different then a sparks in the ESB doing it every weekend, he's taking money of the taxpayer in the same way, and he's not going to admit it to his colleauges

I agree he got paid far to much, but you cant blame him for that, he just got what RTE were willing to pay him

Except I can chose not to use the ESB if I don't like their service, or hypocritical staff.
    I can't chose to send my tv license fee to the BBC, or tell Revenue not to send any of my taxes to RTE, so he's not really taking money from the tax payer in the same way.

As was stated he didn't need to admit to this colleagues, it would, apparently, be very hard to hide a 2k a week coke habit.

And we can blame him for what he was paid...because as was already stated here, he quit RTE and set himself up as contractor so he could get more money off of them. He was also bitterly opposed to taking a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

As was stated he didn't need to admit to this colleagues, it would, apparently, be very hard to hide a 2k a week coke habit.

What a prick. My car isn't even worth 2k and he was shoving that amount up his fat face with a little bit of my tax money every week.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

Indeed.
    You would think that wifey would have the sense to put money away...rainy day and all that.

Probably living on credit cards ,direct debits etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

M three wrote: »
    Amazing how many blind people on here who still think gerry the druggie was a decent fella. good bye cokehead imo. And he didnt admit to anyone he did coke either, his south african diplomat bird didnt even know about it, and the way he was given free reign to pontificate on the radio every bloody day was sickening, loads of people felt that way even before it was confirmed he was a cokehead

and we do know the extent of his coke taking, it ws confirmed in the autopsy that he was obviously a serious user.

Agree.

There is zero chance of the life insurance policy being paid out AND zero chance Morah Ryan will lose her house. Gerry and Morah re-mortgaged their home several times, spent every summer on 5* holidays in Orlando, and she needs to maintain her very obvious 'trout pout' habit. So who will fund this??

With a sizeable pension payout from RTE and many millionaire friends in the fray, there is plenty here for a bailout. Sure wasn't it Dermont Desmond who paid for the post-funeral reception in The Shelbourne?

Nothing changes in this country.

Except I can chose not to use the ESB if I don't like their service, or hypocritical staff.
    I can't chose to send my tv license fee to the BBC, or tell Revenue not to send any of my taxes to RTE, so he's not really taking money from the tax payer in the same way.

And we can blame him for what he was paid...because as was already stated here, he quit RTE and set himself up as contractor so he could get more money off of them. He was also bitterly opposed to taking a pay cut.

So maybe the ESB is a bad example, what about someone in the civil service?

The point I was making about admitting to using coke is that what would you expect him to do, admit to it on air?

Wrt setting himself up as a private contractor, many people in this country do that. Its a tax avoidance measure, a huge amount of lecturers do it also. This wouldnt effect what RTE pay him, just his tax liability on that amount. I agree that he was paid far to much, as are the other RTE presenters but this is down to RTE agreeing to pay it, I dont begrudge anyone getting as much out of their employer as they are willing to pay, would you not do like wise?
    What a prick. My car isn't even worth 2k and he was shoving that amount up his fat face with a little bit of my tax money every week.:mad:

Yea I agree that putting 2k a week up your nose is a disgrace (if infact that is the correct figure), but it was his money. Just because he is employed by a semi-state company does not mean the tax payer should have a say in how he spends it. Its his money to do what he wants with it. Id have more respect for him wasting his money on that then I would for Pat Kenny using his money to pay legal fee's so that he could try and steal claim squatters rights on someone eles's land

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

A friend of a friend once told me G Ryan ruled the roost at RTE and even had other presenters removed from their positions. Drugs were definitely also a factor with other presenters and 2fm staff. Having said that, I don't blame Ryan. He was part of a system that allowed that situation to exist

Sure wasn't it Dermont Desmond who paid for the post-funeral reception in The Shelbourne?

Nothing changes in this country.

Would you not pay for the post funeral reception of a friend if you were in a position to do so, knowing that the family of your friend were struggling financially?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zebra3 wrote: »
    He helped fund murdering criminal gangs.
    don't we all

policeman wrote: »
    A friend of a friend once told me G Ryan ruled the roost at RTE and even had other presenters removed from their positions. Drugs were definitely also a factor with other presenters and 2fm staff. Having said that, I don't blame Ryan. He was part of a system that allowed that situation to exist

I remember seeing a certain "best friend" of gerrys on TV and saying aloud.."he's off his head on coke".....talking faster than ususal, sweating like a pig, looking nervous....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gerry wasn't paid by the taxpayer, he was paid by RTE. And RTE have more methods of gaining income than just the tv licence, what with advertisements etc. Even if Gerry had been earning €500 a week, the licence fee wouldn't have changed one little bit.

He asked for a salary and he got it. Being such a prominant radio and tv personality meant keeping him on their books allowed RTE to make a lot of the money back in ads and sponsorship deals. Do I think he deserved that amount? No. But he was using RTEs money to buy drugs, not the taxpayers

Didn't they once do an investigation and find that in many of the toilets in RTE there were traces of cocaine? [Anyone paying the licence fee next year? :(]

I remember seeing a certain "best friend" of gerrys on TV and saying aloud.."he's off his head on coke".....talking faster than ususal, sweating like a pig, looking nervous....

Joe Duffy? :D

I wonder does that make G Ryans close friends who knew about his habit guilty of indulging as well. I mean on a night out/binge was Gerry saying to them 'do you want a bit?' or was it the other way round, were they saying 'Gerry I've got some good stuff'..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

i dont think any less of jerry ryan just because he took cocaine, he was an adult, cocaine is a drug, drink is a drug, and i do drink now and then, but i have nothing but admiration for jerry ryan, i loved his programme, i have not put the radio on since he passed away, no one comes near him and never will, he was simply the best, forget the rest

Me too, she's damn hot;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Didn't they once do an investigation and find that in many of the toilets in RTE there were traces of cocaine? [Anyone paying the licence fee next year? :(]

I'd imagine the same is true in just about any cubicle in Dublin.

I think the problem is is that Gerry Ryan being 'great' on the radio has alot to do with the fact that he was coked up to his eyeballs. It wasn't a genuine greatness but a chemically enhanced one. Athletes are disqualified for using drugs to enhance their performance. People have a problem with a presenter such as himself doing a similar thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think the problem is is that Gerry Ryan being 'great' on the radio has alot to do with the fact that he was coked up to his eyeballs. It wasn't a genuine greatness but a chemically enhanced one. Athletes are disqualified for using drugs to enhance their performance. People have a problem with a presenter such as himself doing a similar thing

When gerry died, Joe duffy did a show all about him. He said he was always the life and soul if the party, larger than life etc etc. Surely if gerrys coke habit was as common knowledge as reports are saying, Joe knew too. Of course, not a word out of Joe since the cause of death was announced

It's a well known fact that cocaine turns people into c*nts, and this is the point, a perfectly decent person can undergo a complete personality shift. He wasn't in control of himself, the drugs were

Joe Duffy? :D

I wonder does that make G Ryans close friends who knew about his habit guilty of indulging as well. I mean on a night out/binge was Gerry saying to them 'do you want a bit?' or was it the other way round, were they saying 'Gerry I've got some good stuff'..
    that's the nature of coke! I would say if you have tried it, and someone presents it to you in a private capacity, it's very hard to say no.....it's what's called....a "more-ish" drug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Hear hear. My girlfriend has often recorded (unbeknownst to us) me and a few of my mates and acquaintances when we have had a few and are well on form in the pub and are sparking off each other and debating anything from sport to movies to politics to cookery and the jokes and banter are coming fast, loose and natural. Listening to it when sober is a bit embarrassing but it does sound very funny and natural and you can't stop listening and laughing......but...as you say it's chemically induced (at least beer induced). There are many out there who need chemicals such as drugs or alcohol to perform....pretty much most rock bands, many actors and comedians....even presenters. Hell, some politicians need a few stiff drinks to operate normally.
    Anyway, I heard that Ryan's Clontarf house was estimated at 1 million euros. If this guy was earning 600k a year, then how the HELL does he still have a mortgage? Chances are he bought the place for probably 3/400k in the 90's. He could have cleared that mortgage in a year or two.
    600K a year is 50 grand a month before tax. Was he tax exempt for being an "artist"? If not he should have been taking home maybe 35k a month. What's his mortgage? Maybe 3k a month..MAX??? where's the remaining 32k going? Why couldn't he pay off the mortgage in one fell swoop? Baffling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Paparazzo wrote: »
    When gerry died, Joe duffy did a show all about him. He said he was always the life and soul if the party, larger than life etc etc. Surely if gerrys coke habit was as common knowledge as reports are saying, Joe knew too. Of course, not a word out of Joe since the cause of death was announced

Any wanker on speed or coke can be the life and soul of the party. I'll bet Ryan was even more obnoxious and disgusting then usual when he was all snowed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's a well known fact that cocaine turns people into c*nts, and this is the point, a perfectly decent person can undergo a complete personality shift. He wasn't in control of himself, the drugs were

I think it's important to understand Gerry Ryan CHOSE to do cocaine,The doctor said he's been doing it for years and years,It's not physically addictive until you start shovelling huge amounts up your nose,apparently he was doing 2 grands worth a week which means he was doing it morning noon and night,so im sick of people blaming the nasty drug and the nasty dealers,anyone can get anything in dublin these days,we dont all CHOOSE to do it or choose to do such insane amounts,he's noone to blame but himself,same as katy french imo

Well I suppose you're right. Initially 15 or 16 years ago [according to his mate Gareth O' C] he made the choice to start taking it and then he chose to continue taking it but I'm sure there's a point where it just takes over, and you're unable to stop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Yes i agree with you Policeman,i'm sure he didnt want to be doing that much in the end and like you said couldnt stop at that point,Sad really but they're the risks you take i guess.I feel sorry for his wife and kids it must be a horrible time for them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement