Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

qwert2 wrote: »
    Is there any where on the Internet where people can name and shame 'famous people' who take drugs? Just wondering. I mean you hear everyone who's anyone in Ireland takes cocaine, yet there's never a name mentioned. Why not?

Popbitch, but it's more US/UK centric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

His RTE colleagues can stay silent now. However it removes their moral authority over similar scandals that may arise over coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

policeman wrote: »
    A I don't blame Ryan. He was part of a system that allowed that situation to exist

We're all part of a situation that allows drugs to exist.

Big difference between them existing and choosing to use them.

Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Gaot2 wrote:
    Gerry harmed nobody but himself and it is being blown out of proportion

Is that you Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Gerry harmed nobody but himself and it is being blown out of proportion

Are you missing part of your brain? Of course he harmed other people because of his actions. For a start he helped fund the drug dealing thereby helping it to reach out to new users. He harmed his wife and kids who will have to deal with this everyday. He harmed his girlfriend for the betrayal. Need I go on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

And worst of all, he's made a fool out of Joe Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

policeman wrote: »
    Didn't they once do an investigation and find that in many of the toilets in RTE there were traces of cocaine? [Anyone paying the licence fee next year? :(]

Don't think so. Who did the investigation? TV3?
    Paparazzo wrote: »
    When gerry died, Joe duffy did a show all about him. He said he was always the life and soul if the party, larger than life etc etc. Surely if gerrys coke habit was as common knowledge as reports are saying, Joe knew too. Of course, not a word out of Joe since the cause of death was announced

Eh.....

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/i-was-naive-about-gerrys-coke-use-admits-duffy-as-dunne-attacks-stars-silent-pals-2458813.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just reading about some writer named Joe Jackson, he's pleading with people inside RTE to come forward with info in order to bring Gerry's dealer to justice. It really sickens me to see this attitude when celebs suffer. It was the same deal with Katy French. Blame the dealer. When Michael Jackson died? Blame the doctor. And now here we are with Gerry's pals, it's not his fault, it's the dealer's. It just goes to show you the sort of bubble celebrities are living in away from the rest of us that they can absolve people of any personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Just reading about some writer named Joe Jackson, he's pleading with people inside RTE to come forward with info in order to bring Gerry's dealer to justice. It really sickens me to see this attitude when celebs suffer. It was the same deal with Katy French. Blame the dealer. When Michael Jackson died? Blame the doctor. And now here we are with Gerry's pals, it's not his fault, it's the dealer's. It just goes to show you the sort of bubble celebrities are living in away from the rest of us that they can absolve people of any personal responsibility.

Joe seem delighted with his new "likes" and views on facebook since his gerry revelations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 slainte1

goat2 wrote: »
    i have not put the radio on since he passed away, no one comes near him and never will, he was simply the best, forget the rest
    Goodness, I had no idea the death of a radio talk show host could induce such grieving! You poor, poor thing. My heart goes out to you. Have you considered counselling? I know it sounds trite but time is a great healer.
    However, I am curious: if you no longer turn on the radio how do you know whether anyone else has reached Gerry Ryan's dizzying heights ?
    Or perhaps you still listen to the radio but, out of respect, you don't physically turn on the radio yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

And worst of all, he's made a fool out of Joe Duffy.

And for this alone,he must burn in Hell.Sure Sure Sure Sure:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

This thread is getting a bigger responce than Iris Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Gerry wasn't paid by the taxpayer, he was paid by RTE. And RTE have more methods of gaining income than just the tv licence, what with advertisements etc. Even if Gerry had been earning €500 a week, the licence fee wouldn't have changed one little bit.

He asked for a salary and he got it. Being such a prominant radio and tv personality meant keeping him on their books allowed RTE to make a lot of the money back in ads and sponsorship deals. Do I think he deserved that amount? No. But he was using RTEs money to buy drugs, not the taxpayers

Is RTE not a public body? I realise they may think of themselves as a special group of Super Heroes, but they are reliant on public funding, where it not for Gov income (incl Licence fees etc) it would be a much different organisation.

In fairness, it does produce some wonderful examples of public broadcasting, but there are also areas of deep concern, least of all hugely inflated private contracts for 'celeb' presenters. Some are more famous for their pay than for what they do. A big ego massage gone wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

barney4001 wrote: »
    This thread is getting a bigger responce than Iris Robinson

Looks like it could be snowed under.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Is RTE not a public body? I realise they may think of themselves as a special group of Super Heroes, but they are reliant on public funding, where it not for Gov income (incl Licence fees etc) it would be a much different organisation.

In fairness, it does produce some wonderful examples of public broadcasting, but there are also areas of deep concern, least of all hugely inflated private contracts for 'celeb' presenters. Some are more famous for their pay than for what they do. A big ego massage gone wrong.

Yes, but that isn't their only source of income. Advertisements and sponsorships would play a big part too. What I meant however was that it's not like he was a politician or something. He was an entertainment figure. And what he could have brought in via advertisements and sponsorship deals for the ratings he was getting both on radio and television would have meant that his salary could have been worth it to keep him on and give him the salary he asked for.

In all honesty, I never listened to him. I never watched his shows. And while some say how they'll never listen to the radio again, no one could replace him etc. I don't really care. I feel sorry for his family for what they've been put through and could have to go through in the future. That's about it. But for people to keep saying how he was buying it with the taxpayers money just doesn't make sense to me. He was buying it with his own money. He was buying it with the money he earned and he earned that money due to the money he made for RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He was buying it with the money he earned and he earned that money due to the money he made for RTE

Have you got the figures to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i heard that adrian kenneddy has a mouthful to say last night on the radio about gerry is this true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i heard that adrian kenneddy has a mouthful to say last night on the radio about gerry is this true

I'd say Adrian has absolutely no vices :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Your always likely to get a balanced, honest assesment of the issues of the day on the adrian kennedy phone show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

I'd say Adrian has absolutely no vices :rolleyes:

along with all the other c unts who have been critics this week. I mean does everybody not know that drug abuse and addiction(regardless of the drugs being legal or illegal) is rampant in Ireland and effects every section of society. FFS. I wonder if you were to pass fresh twentys into the Dail how many would come out covered in cocaine?

slainte1 wrote: »
    Goodness, I had no idea the death of a radio talk show host could induce such grieving! You poor, poor thing. My heart goes out to you. Have you considered counselling? I know it sounds trite but time is a great healer.
    However, I am curious: if you no longer turn on the radio how do you know whether anyone else has reached Gerry Ryan's dizzying heights ?
    Or perhaps you still listen to the radio but, out of respect, you don't physically turn on the radio yourself.

my heart goes out to you haw haw

when somebody listened to him for a multitude of years, you would understand why people missed him on the radio he will never be replaced ,gerry was the best he was a friend ,somebody to travel with you on your journey people like myself who are out on the road all day or sat in there kitchen for years are people who knew his ability to make you listen to him,i dont condone what he done but are we all perfect the answer to that is NO....
    SO WHEN YOU LISTEN TO RYAN TUBRIDYS PITYFUL SHOW AND TO WHAT GERRY SPOKE ABOUT YOU MIGHT UNDERSTAND....

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Your always likely to get a balanced, honest assesment of the issues of the day on the adrian kennedy phone show

TRUE in fairness i do listen to him but was caught up in the apprentice last night but i heard he gave some stick

shampon wrote: »
    along with all the other c unts who have been critics this week. I mean does everybody not know that drug abuse and addiction(regardless of the drugs being legal or illegal) is rampant in Ireland and effects every section of society. FFS. I wonder if you were to pass fresh twentys into the Dail how many would come out covered in cocaine?

ha very true i remember the programme there last year saying the was somethin like 70 percent of notes had traces of the white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Have you got the figures to back it up?

No.

To me it's common sense though. If he isn't pulling in that money, then RTE is losing money because of him. So why pay him a big salary? If they were losing money because of him, they would have sacked him years ago, or moved him to another timeslot. Instead, they give him tv shows. That doesn't happen unless you're doing a good job. It's like any job. If I get paid €500 a week and I earn the company €750 that week, I can request €550 a week and the boss could give it to me because he's still making a profit. He might even give me a promotion in the hopes that I can bring in even more money. If I'm getting paid €500 a week and I'm only bringing in €400, I'm on the dole. Doesn't matter if I'm Gerry Ryan or not, the fact that he was with RTE for so long and was still getting new shows like Operation Transformation has to mean that he was worth that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yes, but that isn't their only source of income. Advertisements and sponsorships would play a big part too. What I meant however was that it's not like he was a politician or something. He was an entertainment figure. And what he could have brought in via advertisements and sponsorship deals for the ratings he was getting both on radio and television would have meant that his salary could have been worth it to keep him on and give him the salary he asked for.

No it wouldn't. His salary should be "whatever competitors can offer + €1". Newstalk or 98 FM or Today FM could barely afford a fifth of Gerry's salary- where would he have gone if RTE cut him down to €120k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I listened to the show last night and Adrian swore that he never EVER EVER has taken Coke - he has actually left parties when it was being offered around - he even told us (his loyal fanbase) that when he "cops" it he would have no problem about the results of his death being released - although smugness never really shows up in an autopsy does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

deelite wrote: »
    I listened to the show last night and Adrian swore that he never EVER EVER has taken Coke - he has actually left parties when it was being offered around - he even told us (his loyal fanbase) that when he "cops" it he would have no problem about the results of his death being released - although smugness never really shows up in an autopsy does it.

Everyone has a skeleton. Take care Adrian, we're watching.

Everyone has a skeleton. Take care Adrian, we're watching.

he was caught drink driving wasnt he?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

he was caught drink driving wasnt he?

Yea he was auctually, I remember people texting in to offer him a lift home after he was banned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement