Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Shampom writes that we're all junkies in some way.

I don't agree; this is false analogy, I think - it's like the comparison between people who lied to get a mortgage (and then paid it off conscientiously) and the developers and banks with their mutual ripoffs.

We're not all junkies. A glass or two of wine at the weekend, a cup of coffee in the morning - that's in no way part of the addictive trail.

Your clearly addicted to talking ****e son, we all need something to nullify our minds.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

shampon wrote: »
    Your clearly addicted to talking ****e son, we all need something to nullify our minds.....;)

Some of us more than others :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Maybe they don't when they start, but if they keep it up - at the rate described here, anyway - they soon will have.

Yes youre probably spot on.

Now what address shall I post your diploma in the blindingly obvious to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    LOL at the fanboys who reckon Ryan wasnt a hypocrite because he had "no choice" but to come out with all this anti-drug user guff.

He did have some alternatives
    1) He could stick his neck out and tell the truth. (It would have taken some balls though and probably detrimently affected his career to the extent of not being able to keep his family in the manner to which they became accoustomed pay off his dealers)
    2) Not admit to personal use but call BS on the whole media consensus on the war on drugs (career wise it could also be detrimental but on the other hand it could have enhanced his reputation as a "shock jock". certainly he wouldnt have been short of publicity although the gutter press would probably have gone out of their way to dig up/fabricate evidence of personal use)
    3) Say as little as possible on the topic and tone down the rethoric when one does feel pressured to say something (The easy option perhaps but at least one still gets to keep some of their self respect).

Until we get more people in public life prepared to put their balls on the line we are never going to have honest debate in this country regarding drugs and everything the media comes out with on the subject is going to be bull$h1t. And the naked emporers subjects will continue to live in denial.

LOL at the fantasist who thinks anyone in the public eye is prepared to put their balls on the line.
    The only way they would is maybe to endear themselves to the public after making the mother off all f*ck ups and its just about to be plastered on front tomorrow's rag.
    Welcome to the real World.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

2000 k per week, would keep three families living happily, paying mortgage, household bills, car bills, the lot, how much coke was he obtaining per week for that amount of money, what a waste, and to think he had not paid off mortgage on his family home is terrible, how his wife had no inkling, is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

goat2 wrote: »
    2000 k per week, would keep three families living happily, paying mortgage, household bills, car bills, the lot, how much coke was he obtaining per week for that amount of money, what a waste, and to think he had not paid off mortgage on his family home is terrible, how his wife had no inkling, is beyond me

Lots of people must have known. It was public knowledge what his annual earnings were. You can't make that kind of money vanish in a week without people asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Poly wrote: »
    With the big hush-up on at RTE, it raises the question, how many other coke heads are there in montrose?
    Let him without sin cast the first stone and all that...

An ex of mine worked in a well known night spot, where alot has gone on, alot was observed, and alot of conversations overheard. I know of perhaps 2 former RTE presenters, and 2 current presenters, and some people in management positions. Unfortunately I would be hunted down and killed/sued, and boards.ie would not appreciate it, if I was to utter their names in a public forum. Gerry was/is not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

whycliff wrote: »
    LOL at the fantasist who thinks anyone in the public eye is prepared to put their balls on the line.
    The only way they would is maybe to endear themselves to the public after making the mother off all f*ck ups and its just about to be plastered on front tomorrow's rag.
    Welcome to the real World.

True, but i'm always suspicious of those presenters who are big 'law and order' types on air labelling people scum. losers, junkies and the like, and if like Ryan are they holding up to that accord away from the radio studio?

Rush Limbaugh in the States (another awful yet popular radio broadcaster) was also caught out on drug use, and its strange how his public/private contradictions mirrored Gerry Ryan's here.

Broadcasters, if they feel like that, should be less pressurised to succumb to the general braindead social/political consensus of Middle Ireland.

Suspect those two are/were not the only ones in the broadcasting hypocrisy league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

policeman wrote: »
    An ex of mine worked in a well known night spot, where alot has gone on, alot was observed, and alot of conversations overheard. I know of perhaps 2 former RTE presenters, and 2 current presenters, and some people in management positions. Unfortunately I would be hunted down and killed/sued, and boards.ie would not appreciate it, if I was to utter their names in a public forum. Gerry was/is not the only one

I personally know of one very well known RTE personality who's a serious pill-head-it's actually hilarious if you knew who it was; I'll be sure to post their name here when they die. A senior crime correspondent for one of the newspapers is also a former drug dealer (maybe currently too, I don't know;) I used to buy nine-bars off him back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

oh my god!!
    a highly paid person in the entertainment industry was doing drugs!!??
    well i never...
    im absolutely shocked and appalled and ... (stammers) ...did i say shocked?!
    and all those kids who said repeatedly how much they adored gerry ryan and wanted to be just like him some day!!

c'mon people it's just another tragic case of someone overdoing it and paying with their lives...happens all the time and in this country at least it's down to alcohol the vast majority of the time

fair enough he was being paid ridiculous amounts by a state funded body but thats the fault of rte not its employees per se if someone offered you 500k(not sure what he was on exactly but i just chose some arbitarily large figure) would you really say ' no thanks the country's broke 15k will do'

and yes it was all going up his nose, something which cannot be condoned, but the reaction in this country is just bewildering, almost every media outlet seems to be roundly condemning a dead man for something which an awful lot of them must've known about, it's sickening really. are we still not mature enough to have a honest debate about drugs and our own drug use?

i mean if we'remature enough to manage a sustainable fair society......oh wait ......oh..........ya boo gerry u wacnker....drugs are bad m'kay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

mikom wrote: »
    You sir should run the HSE.
    No Pharma bills, just a nice chat over tea and cake.
    Go easy on the tea though, the comedown off the caffeine is a bitch I hear.
    Can't do any worse than the t!ts that are running it at the minute ! Since your so smart with your answer tell us what you think so, or will we do it over a chat with tea and biscuits. If your happy enough that you were paying your licence fee so that Ryan could stick it up his nose, then more power to ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

marglin wrote: »
    oh my god!!
    a highly paid person in the entertainment industry was doing drugs!!??
    well i never...
    im absolutely shocked and appalled and ... (stammers) ...did i say shocked?!
    and all those kids who said repeatedly how much they adored gerry ryan and wanted to be just like him some day!!

c'mon people it's just another tragic case of someone overdoing it and paying with their lives...happens all the time and in this country at least it's down to alcohol the vast majority of the time

fair enough he was being paid ridiculous amounts by a state funded body but thats the fault of rte not its employees per se if someone offered you 500k(not sure what he was on exactly but i just chose some arbitarily large figure) would you really say ' no thanks the country's broke 15k will do'

and yes it was all going up his nose, something which cannot be condoned, but the reaction in this country is just bewildering, almost every media outlet seems to be roundly condemning a dead man for something which an awful lot of them must've known about, it's sickening really. are we still not mature enough to have a honest debate about drugs and our own drug use?

i mean if we'remature enough to manage a sustainable fair society......oh wait ......oh..........ya boo gerry u wacnker....drugs are bad m'kay

It had to be obvious to his employers.
    They are a state body and paying him large sums of money, and ought to have told him to put a stop to it or give him the heave-ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Maybe she did.
    I mean, I don't know why they split up.

What's terrible is that as you said, other families could live so comfortably on what he spent on drugs. Even his own.
    And now they may have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

policeman wrote: »

If there was an award for the most apt user name, you'd have to be in with a shout!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

if i see 2000k again......

was it not 2k?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

if i see 2000k again......

was it not 2k?

No I'm pretty sure it was 2000k or €2m. He usually just did a Scarface where he had a mountain of coke on his table and just stuck his face in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It had to be obvious to his employers.
    They are a state body and paying him large sums of money, and ought to have told him to put a stop to it or give him the heave-ho.

What business is it of RTE's what he did in his own time, once it wasent having a negative effect on his job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

tommyhaas wrote: »
    What business is it of RTE's what he did in his own time, once it wasent having a negative effect on his job?

Can Tubridy go off and be a peado on his weekends so?

In the case of Gerry, not showing up for work can have a negative effect on your job.
    Plus look at how the estimation of RTE and the TV licence has fallen since the revelations.
    I know it was low already but now it is looked on even more negatively.

tiny timy wrote: »
    Can't do any worse than the t!ts that are running it at the minute ! Since your so smart with your answer tell us what you think so, or will we do it over a chat with tea and biscuits. If your happy enough that you were paying your licence fee so that Ryan could stick it up his nose, then more power to ya!

Don't be lazy.
    Read back over the whole thread and look at all the posts with my username next to them.
    You can start with the one where I quote extracts from Ryans book.
    My view is made abundantly clear in them.

Don't tell me you jumped into the thread with all guns blazin' without having read it first.
    That's like something the uninformed would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

being a peadophile is illegal and carries a prison sentence and drastically harms people besides the peadophile, taking cocaine isnt, dosnt and only harms himself at the end of the day
    In the case of Gerry, not showing up for work can have a negative effect on your job.

did he have a history of absenteeism?
    Plus look at how the estimation of RTE and the TV licence has fallen since the revelations.

what has that to do with anything? we shoul dnot pay people that much, in case they spend it on cocaine

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    being a peadophile is illegal and carries a prison sentence and drastically harms people besides the peadophile, taking cocaine isnt, dosnt and only harms himself at the end of the day

The cocaine trade harms the country and it's people.
    If you buy, you are funding this damage.

Posession of cocaine is illegal.

Posession of cocaine can carry a fine and/or a prison sentence.
    It is an offence to be in possession of a controlled drug and on summary conviction for this offence, you could be liable for a fine not exceeding €1,270 or a prison sentence of no longer than 12 months. If the court decides, you could be liable for both. On conviction on indictment for possessing controlled drugs, the court can decide on an appropriate fine and you could also be liable for a prison sentence of not more than seven years. Again, if the court decides, you could be liable for both.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/drug_offences.html

did he have a history of absenteeism?

Pretty absent now, don't ya think.
    what has that to do with anything?

Lots
    Well you can probably up the number of TV licence evaders by a couple of hundred.
    From speaking to people in the last few days the overwhelming sentiment expressed has been.......... "RTE can fuck themselves if I'm paying their licence the next time so that cunts can kill themselves with cocaine"

Are you comparing being a peado to being a drug user? Personally, I reckon there's a big difference.

I dont touch drugs, but I know a lot friends do. I dont see the problem in them using drugs at the weekends, once they're alright for work, and it dosent effect their performance. Obviously with certain jobs (Garda/Fireman/Doctor etc) you cant use them end of story, but I dont see the problem with a radio DJ using drugs

Wrt to what your saying about the estimation of RTE, and also the negative reaction to the news GRyan was doing coke, its fairly hypocritical. There was a poll here on coke use, I think 35% (ish)admitted trying it. You could probably double that percentage if the poll had been extended to drugs in general, so I dont see why people are so upset about a DJ doing it. He earned his money fairly, if he wanted to snort it all, well thats his business

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

The cocaine trade harms the country and it's people.
    If you buy, you are funding this damage.

make it legal so, it dosnt change the fact that his personal actions were not harming anyone accept himself.

i dont actually believe that cocaine should be legal but the cocaine trade and all the harmfull aspects of it are a result of it being illegal not as a result of people using cocaine.
    Posession of cocaine is illegal.

Posession of cocaine can carry a fine and/or a prison sentence.

so is speeding should he be fired if he is caught speeding? should breaking the law by speeding be talked about in the same breath as peadophilia?

ots
    Well you can probably up the number of TV licence evaders by a couple of hundred.
    From speaking to people in the last few days the overwhelming sentiment expressed has been.......... "RTE can **** themselves if I'm paying their licence the next time so that ***** can kill themselves with cocaine"

so people break the law in response to someone breaking the law, thats reasonable :rolleyes: just because a few idiots use it as an excuse to justify their own actions does not mean anything accept idiots will try and turn every situation to their advantage when it has absolutely nothing to do with them

Pretty absent now, don't ya think.

you cannot be serious

make it legal so, it dosnt change the fact that his personal actions were not harming anyone accept himself.

His family might have something to say about that.

so is speeding should he be fired if he is caught speeding?

People have been fired for less, and fired for more.
    Should a DJ be fired if he is caught **** on a plane

so people break the law in response to someone breaking the law, thats reasonable :rolleyes: just because a few idiots use it as an excuse to justify their own actions does not mean anything accept idiots will try and turn every situation to their advantage when it has absolutely nothing to do with them

absolutely nothing?
    People who pay their TV licence have absolutely no connection to this purchase of cocaine?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

The mans dead and he died in sad and pathethic circumstances and it is tragic, for him and his family. But he was a big part of this elite Dublin social scene where cocaine use is obviuosly rife. The man was a complete and utter phony moralizing on the radio and calling drug dealers scumbags whilst snorting cocaine in lilles or some other dreadful celebrtiy haunt. The fact that he was supposedly under stress just goes to show how week an incapable people like this are when faced with real life issues. Ho dare RTE expect a well known Dublin celebrity to show up at all and on time to his overpaid job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

The issue is he was a moral mouthpiece for the intellectually disadvantaged, who perhaps didn't find Joe Duffy sleazy enough nor Ryan Tubridy dated enough.

If he had publicly supported legalising cocaine, and continued taking it himself, I would not have a problem with that.

If he had taken his (questionable) moral stance on drugs, and not taken them himself, I would not have a problem with that.

The fact he led a lifestyle filled with excess, drug consumption and arguably, selfishness towards those who employed him and those closest to him, yet decried such activities on air, particular when those less fortunate than him were involved... I have a problem with that.

For me, he represents the worst kind of Irish; double-standards, a twisted, false morality and a total lack of responsibility of his own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thats not illegal...just frowned upon. ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm pretty sure exposing yourself for a sex act on a plane is illegal :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

His wife had to know. I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting that she didn't.

• Advertisement

Here you're comparing drug taking with peadophilia
    And here you're comparing breaking the speed limit with **** in public

I think most people would agree that either of those sex crimes are far worse than using cocaine, so why you choose to use those two crimes as examples is beyond me. If you're going to make an argument, at least try and compare like with like. Either that or you'v got a pretty distorted view

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement