Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

tommyhaas wrote: »

And here you're comparing breaking the speed limit with **** in public

A slow stroker, eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The fact that he was supposedly under stress just goes to show how week an incapable people like this are when faced with real life issues. Ho dare RTE expect a well known Dublin celebrity to show up at all and on time to his overpaid job.

I think most people find financial difficulties, professional set backs and divorce proceedings quiet stressful, I wouldnt call him weak just because of that. Also, I dont think he missed his show too often, so dont know where you're going with that

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

mloc wrote: »
    The issue is he was a moral mouthpiece for the intellectually disadvantaged, who perhaps didn't find Joe Duffy sleazy enough nor Ryan Tubridy dated enough.

If he had publicly supported legalising cocaine, and continued taking it himself, I would not have a problem with that.

If he had taken his (questionable) moral stance on drugs, and not taken them himself, I would not have a problem with that.

The fact he led a lifestyle filled with excess, drug consumption and arguably, selfishness towards those who employed him and those closest to him, yet decried such activities on air, particular when those less fortunate than him were involved... I have a problem with that.

For me, he represents the worst kind of Irish; double-standards, a twisted, false morality and a total lack of responsibility of his own actions.

I guess this is the now overwhelming view. When people say, 'it's terrible but sure he was great on the radio..I used to love listening to him..', they forget that they were listening to a voice and personality that owed alot to what the man was putting up his nostrils. The question is what would the man have been like on air without all the coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

mikom wrote: »
    absolutely nothing?
    People who pay their TV licence have absolutely no connection to this purchase of cocaine?

no they dont unless it starts affecting his job and nothing seems to be done about it, while i thought his shows were **** i havnt heard anyone accuse him of not fulfilling his responsibilities to rte, have you?

policeman wrote: »
    I guess this is the now overwhelming view. When people say, 'it's terrible but sure he was great on the radio..I used to love listening to him..', they forget that they were listening to a voice and personality that owed alot to what the man was putting up his nostrils. The question is what would the man have been like on air without all the coke?

who cares?

also i dont have time to read through the entire thread to find the report but can someone link me to a report on what the coroner found? i heard that trace elements of cocaine were found in his system but that that was not the immediate cause of death? is that not true?

is there other reports now of people coming out saying they did a rake of blow with ryan in the jacks in lillies or are people just jumping to conclusions?

• Advertisement

Jonniealan wrote: »
    But he was a big part of this elite Dublin social scene where cocaine use is obviuosly rife.

the fact he is from dublin has nothing to do with it cocaine is rampant all over the country weather you choose to beleive that fact or not is up to you

were he was snorting it is also irrelevant dont you think? maybe he liked to head to the country to stay in a castle and do it off his wifes chest does that make it better or worse because it wasnt in lillies?

PeakOutput wrote: »
    who cares?

also i dont have time to read through the entire thread to find the report but can someone link me to a report on what the coroner found? i heard that trace elements of cocaine were found in his system but that that was not the immediate cause of death? is that not true?

?
    Pathology reports showed the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, most likely caused by cocaine consumption.

Pathologist Dr Eamon Leen, who carried out the autopsy on Ryan’s body, said his heart had chronic scarring which could have been caused by previous cocaine use or by a viral infection in the past.
    The doctor could not definitively say what the cause of the scarring was because he did not know Ryan’s history, he said.

Metabolites of cocaine, created when the body breaks down the drug, were found in blood and urine samples along with a metabolite created when alcohol is mixed with cocaine.

Counsel for the Ryan family, Brendan Grehan SC, pointed out that Ryan had symptoms of dizziness, panic attacks and shortage of breath before his death and asked if this could have contributed to his heart failure.
    Dr Leen said he could not speculate. “Some of these symptoms overlap with the effect of cocaine itself,” he said.
    http://lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com/2010/12/10/dublin-cocaine-traces-found-in-rte-broadcaster-gerry-ryans-body-inquest-hears/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

whycliff wrote: »
    LOL at the fantasist who thinks anyone in the public eye is prepared to put their balls on the line..

Quite apart from the fact that I could name three (a journalist, a councillor and a magazine editor/former head of a state body) I did propose a third option which wouldnt have involved anyones balls being put on the line.

Do pay attention !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DeVore wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure exposing yourself for a sex act on a plane is illegal :)

DeV.

Found out the hard way,eh?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

What business is it of RTE's what he did in his own time, once it wasent having a negative effect on his job?

Well firstly, it clearly was affecting his job. He didn't turn up for work on various occasions.

He is working for the state broadcaster. It's probably a bad idea for them to knowingly continue to employ massive coke heads with the publics cash.
    If it is a private company and the boss decides that is cool, fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

What business is it of RTE's what he did in his own time, once it wasent having a negative effect on his job?

The thing is, he wasn't just doing it in his own time; I posted this clip earlier in the thread:

Pause it at 00:50 and look at his face-he's coked off his tits while conducting an interview with an international celebrity. Not only should he have been sacked for this, but so should the producers and editors of the programme for allowing it to go on air.

People have been focusing on his hypocrisy but I believe there was a far more serious material conflict of interest going on. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that his dealer had audio or video footage of him taking or buying coke; they certainly had plenty of circumstantial evidence through phone records. Besides this they also had the option of threatening to cut him off-the worst possible thing for an addict.

A national figure in receipt of huge amounts of public money with a massive platform for his views was seriously compromised by murderous thugs.

It's well documented how their business collapsed through a combination of the recession and headshops and here they had a perfect cheerleader to campaign against at least part of the problem and stir up the mob.

If I was the owner of that head-shop in Clontarf I'd be taking legal advice right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

latenia wrote: »
    Pause it at 00:50 and look at his face-he's coked off his tits

He doesn't look quite himself alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

How does the Logic_away sit with people given the circumstances?

How does the Logic_away sit with people given the circumstances?

OMG I am so silly! that was an incident about a well known member of boards would passed away from coke, the bad kind.

My bad talking about that? What if his family read it? Standards?

May Gerry and he rest in peace. Less therebe groogles!

OMG I am so silly! that was an incident about a well known member of boards would passed away from coke, the bad kind.

My bad talking about that? What if his family read it? Standards?

May Gerry and he rest in peace. Less therebe groogles!

HE WAS ONE OF OF OWN YOU PRICK!!!!!!!!

WTF?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

WTF is all that about??

The thing is, he wasn't just doing it in his own time; I posted this clip earlier in the thread:

Pause it at 00:50 and look at his face-he's coked off his tits while conducting an interview with an international celebrity. Not only should he have been sacked for this, but so should the producers and editors of the programme for allowing it to go on air.

I have it on good authority he was full of Jack Daniels as well.

Degsy wrote: »
    I have it on good authority he was full of Jack Daniels as well.

regardless he was an awful dope aswell ramsey saying ' im glad the kids heard that' sums ryans personality up pretty well. he was an absolutely useless interviewer and had a rubbish radio show but i still dont think what he does in his personal time is anyones business.

if he was dong it on company time(and he might have been) then thats a different story

OF.... OF...... let it all out, these are the things I can do without
    Come on, I'm talking to you, come on

In violent times, you shouldn't have to sell your soul
    In black and white, they really really ought to know
    Those one track minds that took you for a working boy
    Kiss them goodbye, you shouldn't have to jump for joy
    You shouldn't have to
    OF.... OF......let it all out, these are the things I can do without
    Come on, I'm talking to you, come on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

At last RTE have finally broken their silence on Gerry Ryan's cocaine habit it being discussed now on the Pat Kenny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

People have been focusing on his hypocrisy but I believe there was a far more serious material conflict of interest going on. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that his dealer had audio or video footage of him taking or buying coke; they certainly had plenty of circumstantial evidence through phone records. Besides this they also had the option of threatening to cut him off-the worst possible thing for an addict.

A national figure in receipt of huge amounts of public money with a massive platform for his views was seriously compromised by murderous thugs.

It's well documented how their business collapsed through a combination of the recession and headshops and here they had a perfect cheerleader to campaign against at least part of the problem and stir up the mob.

If I was the owner of that head-shop in Clontarf I'd be taking legal advice right now
    Maybe he was anti headshops? If i was a coke head i wouldn't want shops selling coke substitute, i'd rather the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

I think it's safe to say his behaviour in that interview is just a bit weird and cringeworthy, obviously thanks to the various intoxicants in his bloodstream.
    Look, plenty of people use a 'poison' /crutches to get them through each day, be it medication, properly prescribed, or other stuff obtained illegally.
    We will never get away from humans consuming drugs. When it takes over your life and who you are, esp if your a 'personality', it's not good.

As an aside to this it's interesting that in the USA drugs are coldly considered a law enforcement issue, while say in Switzerland it's compassionately regarded as an illness [hence free, pure clean pharmaceutical heroin for addicts], and as a result drug related crime plummeted 60 - 70 % there and is now no longer a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

It's time now to let Gerry R.I.P.
    Enough stones have been thrown already

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Reference Ramsey,

Gerry was merely imitating Ramsey's psychotic outbursts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Degsy wrote: »
    WTF?:confused:
    WTF is all that about??

Sorry about that :/

That was some mad assed ramble ironing about a clamp down on posting about a boards.ie member who died from coke versus talking about the G-mans habit.
    It just occurred to me that it was quite wierdamissm. That can happen.

Lets just move on.

mikom wrote: »

Come on, I'm talking to you, come on

In violent times, you shouldn't have to sell your soul
    In black and white, they really really ought to know
    Those one track minds that took you for a working boy
    Kiss them goodbye, you shouldn't have to jump for joy
    You shouldn't have to
    OF.... OF......let it all out, these are the things I can do without
    Come on, I'm talking to you, come on.....

Interesting.

"But life is just a party

And parties weren't meant too last"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

bmarley wrote: »
    Reference Ramsey,

Gerry was merely imitating Ramsey's psychotic outbursts!

Not a good Imitation of Ramsey at all , more cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

And parties weren't meant too last

Are you joining Gerry.

• Advertisement

terenc wrote: »

And parties weren't meant too last

Are you joining Gerry.

Possibly.

100!!!!! woohooo!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement