Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He seemed genuinely concerned that this persons feet were "Peter Panny" (slang for the condition of a cokeheads feet).

WTF :confused:

I've never heard of this slang before in my life.

And I'm pretty up on my slang :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

amdublin wrote: »
    And I'm pretty up on my slang :D

yeah? do you know what a "Dirty Chap" is?
    I heard it on the bus and it made me laugh when i sussed what they were talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

'LET GERRY REST IN PEACE' are the headlines that have been doing the rounds in the papers, complete with pictures of Gaybo and Tubo.
    They've even been pleading for him to be 'left alone' on radio broadcasts.

Pathetic.

Have to wonder why they are so keen to have the whole thing dismissed...might their noses be two of the high profile snow blowers that Callaghan was talking about?
    do they not know that gerry ryan has no idea what is going on now - he's dead. so c'mon, lets get it all out in the open now - the fat cats are shaking in their shoes.

maybe Paul Williams could do a piece on it. He loves that kind of drug related story doesn't he. :D

Or maybe its because they were friends of his, and are doing it out of respect for both Gerry Ryan and his family. The man had young kids, and this is their first xmas without their Da, cant be easy for them having all this all over the papers in the first place, never mind it carrying on a few weeks

Btw, cant stand either Tubridy or Gaybo, Im just pointing out the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Or maybe its because they were friends of his, and are doing it out of respect for both Gerry Ryan and his family. The man had young kids, and this is their first xmas without their Da, cant be easy for them having all this all over the papers in the first place, never mind it carrying on a few weeks

Btw, cant stand either Tubridy or Gaybo, Im just pointing out the obvious

Or maybe it's because they too are hypocrites.
    They are all too happy to upset the apple cart and condemn criminal behaviour...but now that it was one of their own!.....their buddy!
    Well by jaysus lets allow the man rest in peace!

Nevermind the fact that he was a criminal, sure doesn't death absolve you of all your crimes.

And you want to mention respect for his family?
    What respect did Ryan have for his own family?

He got his daughter a job in the drug den that is RTE. great respect for her.
    He re-mortgaged his families home five times, great respect for his families security there.
    His drug induced death has robbed his family of his life insurance, great respect for his family there too.
    Infact, if it is wasn't for his equally pathetic mates at RTE, his family would be getting evicted.

If he was my father I'd be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Perhaps the RTE chappies should release 'I'm dreaming of a White Christmas' and all proceeds to help the survivors of coke victims ?

Nah, nobody believes White Christmas is all snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They are all too happy to upset the apple cart and condemn criminal behaviour...but now that it was one of their own!.....their buddy!

Nevermind the fact that he was a criminal, sure doesn't death absolve you of all your crimes.

He re-mortgaged his families home five times, great respect for his families security there.
    His drug induced death has robbed his family of his life insurance, great respect for his family there too.
    Infact, if it is wasn't for his equally pathetic mates at RTE, his family would be getting evicted.

Ah that's a bit overboard.....most of us are criminals by your standards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I dont think his colleauges have done anything wrong, he was a friend of their's. I wouldnt expect anyone who has lost a friend to go on air and condem him, nor would I expect them to dwell on the causes of his death.

Wrt how he treated his family, I dont think you're being fair.

Firstly, getting his daughter a job in RTE isint a bad thing. Clearly drugs are prevelant amoung certain circles in RTE, but to suggest the station is a drug den is taking things a bit far

Obviously, you have a perfect family but maybe if you take a look down from your high horse you would see that there a countless families around being destroyed by addiction's, be it drugs or alcohol. I dont know Gerry Ryan, however he seemed a decent guy. All the negative comments you have relating to his treatment of his family can all be attributed to his addiction. Yes he died,leaving his family in a precarious financial position, but was hardly deliberate, he probably assumed like most 'it could never happen to him', that he would go on earning good money, and repay the mortgage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I dont think his colleauges have done anything wrong, he was a friend of their's. I wouldnt expect anyone who has lost a friend to go on air and condem him, nor would I expect them to dwell on the causes of his death.

Firstly, getting his daughter a job in RTE isint a bad thing. Clearly drugs are prevelant amoung certain circles in RTE, but to suggest the station is a drug den is taking things a bit far

Obviously, you have a perfect family but maybe if you take a look down from your high horse you would see that there a countless families around being destroyed by addiction's, be it drugs or alcohol. I dont know Gerry Ryan, however he seemed a decent guy. All the negative comments you have relating to his treatment of his family can all be attributed to his addiction. Yes he died,leaving his family in a precarious financial position, but was hardly deliberate, he probably assumed like most 'it could never happen to him', that he would go on earning good money, and repay the mortgage etc

gay byrne hosted a program about deaths on the roads and their consequences , he blathered on for years about drink driving ect now a guy who he worked with turns out to be a junkie and died of a drug over dose and he wants us to forget it.

His friend sarah looney told the press hes not a junkie but dabbled in cocaine (this at odds with reports that he was going to visit rehab in thailand), im willing to forget about it as long as I never hear rte criticise "junkies" again. They really need to cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

GR was a hypocrite plain and simple. A pompus arrogant prat who snorted truck loads of Colombia's finest up his nostrils and ran into huge debts putting his family and home at risk, destroying his marriage and all the while he was bereating drug users live on his show, making a mockery of addicts, slamming drug dealers calling them 'vile and evil'. His 'friends' at RTE going on the Late Late show after his death even Tubs was in tears. Never saw such a load of crap in all my life, you'd swear the man was a saint the way they were speaking of him. I remember his reaction to the death of Katy French and how appalled he was at how coke had taken her life and how he hoped they would catch the scumbag dealer. I also remember quite well how he spoke of his shock at the national outrage of her death and how the country was in mourning at such a young life being taken away by this vicious drug. And he commented over and over again what a waste of a life it was. I wonder how much he snorted before and after that show. Hypocritical, over-inflated ego and shame is all I will remember him for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone else hear or read that Brenda Donohue, who worked on his show knew he was on the coke, funny how she forgot to mention it to anyone important/helpfull

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1
    RTE managment are a shower of LIARS too. They stated the other day that the never knew GR was a coke addict.
    John Clarke,former head of 2fm, GR's last boss in 2fm and who knew GR for decades never knew he was on Drugs? Like FFS........who are they kiddin?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

the problem there is his co workers want his addiction swept under the carpet while gerry a junkie himself often criticised junkies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

mike65 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear or read that Brenda Donohue, who worked on his show knew he was on the coke

Any link for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

Fiona Looney was also very close to G. Ryan, closer than his family some might say. She said in a newspaper article that she knew of Gerry's penchant for coke..

..and apparently Gareth has named Gerry's coke supplier to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭policeman

MidlandsM wrote: »
    +1
    RTE managment are a shower of LIARS too. They stated the other day that the never knew GR was a coke addict.
    John Clarke,former head of 2fm, GR's last boss in 2fm and who knew GR for decades never knew he was on Drugs? Like FFS........who are they kiddin?

That guy is a tool. His interview in the Herald confirms it. It was all about him covering his ass, and not wanting to look bad, and sticking his head in the sand. 'Gerry Ryan on drugs? Not on my watch...' 'I don't believe any of the [cocaine] stories..' etc :eek:

It would be hilarious if they unearthed more 2fm dj's that did coke 'on his watch'. He'd probably still insist people were making it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »
    Did anyone else hear or read that Brenda Donohue, who worked on his show knew he was on the coke, funny how she forgot to mention it to anyone important/helpfull
    Any link for that?
    policeman wrote: »
    Fiona Looney was also very close to G. Ryan, closer than his family some might say. She said in a newspaper article that she knew of Gerry's penchant for coke..

..and apparently Gareth has named Gerry's coke supplier to the Gardai

Looks like a got the wrong woman, twas early when I heard it, he had several close female collegues down the years.

Sorry to Brenda if she is reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Not a lot to be said. Except: Has always happened, will always happen, as will threads like this..so..get over it folks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/reindeer-eat-magic-mushrooms-to-escape-winter-boredom-scientists-say/story-e6frfhk6-1225975330982

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Not a lot to be said. Except: Has always happened, will always happen, as will threads like this..so..get over it folks.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/the-other-side/reindeer-eat-magic-mushrooms-to-escape-winter-boredom-scientists-say/story-e6frfhk6-1225975330982

Yeah.
    Don't discuss anything.
    Ever.

Especially not on an internet chat forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Pfft, I've worked beside addicted gamblers, alcoholics and druggies and never had an idea that they were addicts until someone told me years later. It's not always so obvious.

Yeah.
    Don't discuss anything.
    Ever.

Especially not on an internet chat forum.

Your definition of discussion leaves a tad to be desired.

People take drugs, some people will die. Guy took drugs, guy dies. People do risky things, some people die.
    Will an internet discussion solve that?...............eh ...no.
    Will an internet 'discussion' satisfy: obbsessive, anal, busybody, nosey, jealous, rude, cowardly, get a life, prurience? Probably, until the next tabloid sensation comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Pfft, I've worked beside addicted gamblers, alcoholics and druggies and never had an idea that they were addicts until someone told me years later. It's not always so obvious.

Absolutely, people are great at hiding things.

a h HA HA HA HA HA
    Gareth O'Callahan is a muppet!!

RADIO broadcaster Gareth O'Callaghan has admitted to gardai that he does not know the identity of the drug dealer who supplied cocaine to his former colleague, Gerry Ryan.
    Mr O'Callaghan had agreed to be interviewed by gardai after weekend reports indicated he might have information that could help their investigation.
    Mr O'Callaghan, who formerly worked with 2fm, had been quoted in several media reports saying that he knew of three or four stars in RTE who were using cocaine, and that the names of two dealers were regularly mentioned.
    But it is understood that he was unable to provide any information that could have helped to progress their inquiries.
    Mr O'Callaghan was interviewed by detectives at Blanchardstown station, Dublin, about the media indications and his reported comments.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-tells-gardai-he-doesnt-know-gerry-coke-dealer-2471659.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

People take drugs, some people will die. Guy took drugs, guy dies. People do risky things, some people die.
    Will an internet 'discussion' satisfy: obbsessive, anal, busybody, nosey, jealous, rude, cowardly, get a life, prurience? Probably, until the next tabloid sensation comes along.

Whoa...it's a forum Happyman. People discuss, yes DISCUSS, topical subjects on a forum. It doesn't act to solve anything, just to put various points across. No need for the insults :eek:

On a side issue, I think it's disgraceful what the media are doing. When he died he was the greatest broadcaster who ever graced RTE's doors. The media mourned, the country mourned and it was all very demonstrative. Now the inquest results are released and it's suddenly overshadowed all the nice things people had to say about him. Same happened with Katy French.

Coke isn't cool or sophisticated, it's illegal for a reason, if you take it you run the risk of croaking it just like any other druggie. That doesn't make it your employers responsibility or insinuate that they condone what you do, you're responsible for your own actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

You know this is the After Hours forum right?

The reason this is being discussed is the hypocrisy of Gerry Ryan himself who pontificated about the drugs situation on his programme, and the hypocrisy of RTE management and RTE Broadcasters who almost canonised Gerry Ryan when he died but regularly get on their high horse about the drugs problem but when the results of the inquest came out they all of a sudden had nothing to say.

If it had been a TD of any party that died as a result of taking cocaine do you think anyone in RTE would be calling for them to be left in peace?

Whoa...it's a forum Happyman. People discuss, yes DISCUSS, topical subjects on a forum. It doesn't act to solve anything, just to put various points across. No need for the insults :eek:

On a side issue, I think it's disgraceful what the media are doing. When he died he was the greatest broadcaster who ever graced RTE's doors. The media mourned, the country mourned and it was all very demonstrative. Now the inquest results are released and it's suddenly overshadowed all the nice things people had to say about him. Same happened with Katy French.

Coke isn't cool or sophisticated, it's illegal for a reason, if you take it you run the risk of croaking it just like any other druggie. That doesn't make it your employers responsibility or insinuate that they condone what you do, you're responsible for your own actions.
    In fairness, he was one of the better personalities in the media, the manner of which he died shouldn't over shadow that. He had the power and the money to hide his problems from the public, and as result died a sad lonely death. As regards "funding criminals"...stats suggest most of us do...

With the greatest of respect, the rules of discussion are the same on the internet as they are in real life.
    What you have here in the main is just juvenile begrudgery of various sorts. Begrudging of Gerry, begrudging of RTE.....it is just amazing the levels of bile people can summon up. These juveniles are just tripping over their hate and bile to have a go, regardless of what the truth is.
    The only rationality being applied is by those countering the bile.
    By all means discuss.....but for everybody's sake and dignity keep it in perspective.

The reason this is being discussed is the hypocrisy of Gerry Ryan himself who pontificated about the drugs situation on his programme,

It is touching, quaint and poignant that so many in this country cannot separate an elaborate media persona from the real person. He was obviously talented enough to fool some in this country.

In Gerry Ryan's case it is to be expected and part of his job description that his public image is a construct..it's part of what a DJ/Radio shock jock does, the fact that you got fooled is just an indication of his talent.
    Be careful when you go to your priest, your doctor or your TD because they engage in the same sort of image manipulation but the ramifications of them not turning out to be what they say they are is much much more dangerous.

p.s. what exactly are you proposing we do about Gerry being a hypocrite? Dig him up and hang him from a tree?
    Maybe write a post-it note and stick it to your radio....'Must not be fooled today'

In fairness, he was one of the better personalities in the media, the manner of which he died shouldn't over shadow that. He had the power and the money to hide his problems from the public, and as result died a sad lonely death. As regards "funding criminals"...stats suggest most of us do...

Are you quoting the right person? I didn't say how he did should over shadow anything, nor did I mention funding criminals :confused:

With the greatest of respect, the rules of discussion are the same on the internet as they are in real life.
    What you have here in the main is just juvenile begrudgery of various sorts. Begrudging of Gerry, begrudging of RTE.....it is just amazing the levels of bile people can summon up. These juveniles are just tripping over their hate and bile to have a go, regardless of what the truth is.
    The only rationality being applied is by those countering the bile.
    By all means discuss.....but for everybody's sake and dignity keep it in perspective.

It's opinion Happyman. Just because you don't agree with what they say doesn't mean you can chuck insults about. Plus, as some one else says, this is after hours, people here have a reputation for being a little more...erm...'cutting' :D than other fora.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I'd say if it wasn't for the fact that he was so seriously overweight at the time he died ie. if he was a normal weight, the whole cocaine thing would have surfaced a lot quicker.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gerry_Ryan.jpg

When a guy who looks like this dies you're always going to assume it was due to his weight unless discovered to be otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement