Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan Inquest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

have a read of the thread, look at the glee and smugness being expressed

What is this..... Saving private Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

whycliff wrote: »
    Everything we do on a daily basis provides an outlet for criminal gangs.
    People smoking results in demand for counterfeit cigarettes.
    Diesel in cars results in counterfeit diesel over the border.

You've inadvertently highlighted the problem as to why the criminal gangs target such commodities:

High prices for cigarettes (due to exchequer loading excise) lead to smuggling/counterfeit.
    High taxes on white diesel creates a market for any cheaper solution including washing untaxed kerosene/green diesel for re-sale.

Following that logic, prohibition of drugs like cocaine leads to high prices, questionable quality and the secretive nature of it's use particularly in celebrity circles, for fear that it damges their public profile.

No I couldn't stand him. I'm a Ray Darcy man myself. He'd never touch Coke.

Yeah he strikes me as more of a Pepsi man.
    No way is Darcy a coke head...he's too f*cking boring.
    mike65 wrote: »
    and naturally someone tried to start a thread marking 3 years since "poor Katie" died

oops, 3 years, post edited.
    The level of smugness and sanctimonious preaching in this thread is truely shocking, some of you really need to get off your pedestal.

As opposed to the smug santimony preached by the man in question most mornings?
    I take no delight in the death of anyone be it through drugs or any other medium....but I take some small satisfaction away from knowing that someone who came across as a vehement anti-drug advocate and was generally conservative in their views, was in fact just as fallible as anyone else who decides to dabble in cocaine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Comments like that mean you are no better than him. Theres so many people taking delight in this story, they are nothing but hypocrites.

I couldn't give a toss about what he got up to in his own time. But as you said originally, what I do have a problem with are hypocrites who take part in a bit of double standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

All I would like to know is why you feel so passionate about the whole thing, what he do on you? does he owe you money for a deal?
    I actually don't feel passionate about it at all. I just pointed out that he is a hypocrite, which you seem to have a problem with. If anything, I'm baffled as to why you are so passionate about defending his hypocrisy? It seems pretty black and white to be honest.

have a read of the thread, look at the glee and smugness being expressed
    Please give an example. If you can give an example written by me you get a million bonuse points. Thanks.

• Advertisement

It seems pretty black and white to be honest.

More white, to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Yes, let's pretend he wasn't a hard-drug using hypocrite at all. 'On the people's side'? Did you read the excerpts from his book?

On the one hand you say he has to play a certain part, then you say that he was on the people's side. Did it ever occur to you that that was part of his act?

Or maybe I' just not as synical about the world.
    My opinion is that its a bit sad that people will use anything to drag a dead man down.

He was an Irishman and a well known personality. I didn't follow him religiously myself but he was always good for a laugh on the TV and so on.

I don't know why people use any reason to drag other down, he died, he was relatively young and it is a shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monty Burnz viewpost.gif
    Yes, let's pretend he wasn't a hard-drug using hypocrite at all. 'On the people's side'? Did you read the excerpts from his book?

On the one hand you say he has to play a certain part, then you say that he was on the people's side. Did it ever occur to you that that was part of his act?

All I would like to know is why you feel so passionate about the whole thing, what he do on you? does he owe you money for a deal?

Just on the whycliff I'd liked to ask you where you riding him?

Copper23 wrote: »

He was an Irishman and a well known personality.

Bertie was as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I actually don't feel passionate about it at all. I just pointed out that he is a hypocrite, which you seem to have a problem with. If anything, I'm baffled as to why you are so passionate about defending his hypocrisy? It seems pretty black and white to be honest.

I briefly defended the hypocrite jibe in passing, he took Cocaine so f*ck.
    And he criticised criminals.

He wasnt the first, he wont be the last. And Yes his money went to criminals.

So has all of ours for the last 8 years and we're giving them more over the coming year. And we're giving them a bonus for the good of it also.

• Advertisement

He wasnt the first, he wont be the last. And Yes his money went to criminals.

So has all of ours for the last 8 years and we're giving them more over the coming year. And we're giving them a bonus for the good of it also.

Against our will.

mikom wrote: »
    Bertie was as well.

jesus, well if you copy and paste any selection of words from my post you can pretty much take any meaning you want from it... luckily, the literate will see there was a lot more context the that.

Paracore wrote: »

Just on the whycliff I'd liked to ask you where you riding him?

What kind of personal question is that to ask, you can read all in my book soon to be released.

luckily, the literate will see there was a lot more context the that.

lol, open goal.

I don't know why people use any reason to drag other down, he died, he was relatively young and it is a shame.
    How are we dragging him down? Some new information has come out about the guy that shows he was a hard drug user, even though he lectured the Irish people about the evils of drugs and the criminal gangs who profit from them.

This is not something that we are doing, this is something that Gerry Ryan did that the public now knows about. If that affects how we perceive Gerry Ryan, it is his fault, not ours.

This bizarre Irish attitude that you can't say anything negative about dead people - even if they are true - is totally ridiculous. I guess if Larry Murphy died, we wouldn't be able to 'drag him down' either by mentioning the fact that he is an evil rapist?

Crazy attitude.

lol, open goal.
    Don't be mean :)

lol, open goal.

And he does it again... keep going, shower yourself in glory.

How are we dragging him down? Some new information has come out about the guy that shows he was a hard drug user, even though he lectured the Irish people about the evils of drugs and the criminal gangs who profit from them.

This is not something that we are doing, this is something that Gerry Ryan did that the public now knows about. If that affects how we perceive Gerry Ryan, it is his fault, not ours.

This bizarre Irish attitude that you can't say anything negative about dead people - even if they are true - is totally ridiculous. I guess if Larry Murphy died, we wouldn't be able to 'drag him down' either by mentioning the fact that he is an evil rapist?

Crazy attitude.

Hold on now, surely your not comparing the use of recreational drugs to rape and attempted murder of a woman?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

So Ryan was a bankrupt pontificating cokehead hypocrite who lied to his other half about his drug problem.

Celtic Tiger poster boy, in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Crazy attitude.

No point in engaging with these posts/opinions. I remember not so long ago the amount of pontificating sh*te that flooded these boards when he died because you can't speak ill of the dead blah blah blah.

The guy was a f*cking smug prick who coked himself to death and spent the time he was alive preaching to others about the evils of that kind of lifestyle. Anyone who still claims that no one can talk about this because he's deceased is an idiot.

• Advertisement

Hold on now, surely your not comparing the use of recreational drugs to rape and attempted murder of a woman?
    No - are you?

Ok, let's calm things down a bit.
    At least Gerry was against the headshops....... /sarcasm
    RTE broadcaster Gerry Ryan spoke about a new Headshop in the leafy suburb yesterday, but urged residents not to use violence against the store.
    The opinionated star has put his weight behind a campaign by local residents to show their strong opposition to the controversial new premises, which opened on St Patrick's Day.
    Residents in the posh northside suburb are disgusted that the 'D3 Head Shop' is selling a range of legal highs in such a prominent location, between a row of upmarket boutiques and restaurants.

He added that if parents felt something unsavoury was coming into their community, they had every right to say 'no'.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/gerry-calls-for-peaceful-protest-as-headshop-windows-are-smashed-in-2104735.html

This fuckin' country is upside down

mariaf24 wrote: »
    To be fair though, Irish people are very naive

Speak for yourself

pookie82 wrote: »
    I remember not so long ago the amount of pontificating sh*te that flooded these boards when he died because you can't speak ill of the dead blah blah blah.
    Anyone who still claims that no one can talk about this because he's deceased is an idiot.
    I just can't get my head around that attitude. It's just one of these 'received wisdom' things in Irish society that a lot of people never seem to question or think about for themselves. Maybe that was why DeValera signed the book of condolence when a certain German lad killed himself?

"No point in saying anything bad about the fella, sure he's dead now..."

No point in engaging with these posts/opinions. I remember not so long ago the amount of pontificating sh*te that flooded these boards when he died because you can't speak ill of the dead blah blah blah.

The guy was a f*cking smug prick who coked himself to death and spent the time he was alive preaching to others about the evils of that kind of lifestyle. Anyone who still claims that no one can talk about this because he's deceased is an idiot.

Thats a bit much no??

Has it been proven that Cocaine was the cause of his death?

I just can't get my head around that attitude. It's just one of these 'received wisdom' things in Irish society that a lot of people never seem to question or think about for themselves. Maybe that was why DeValera signed the book of condolence when a certain German lad killed himself?

"No point in saying anything bad about the fella, sure he's dead now..."

I think its more of mehhh whats the point rather than you can't speak ill of the dead.

I mean it has no effect on the person themselves whatsoever.

Its just his wife, family and kids thats left behind that it may effect.

Personally I think if something needs to be said about someone, be them dead or alive and its warranted, then it should be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Fat Coke head spends TAX Payers Money on COCAINE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

He's not and you know it...he's using an extreme analogy to back up his argument and you're being pedantic about it.

FWIW our drug laws take the supply of drugs at relatively small levels MORE seriously than rape or attempted murder as can be evidenced by the snetencing that get's passed down in the Irish court system every week.
    You know of course that being arrested under the newest drug legislation allows you to be held for up to 7 days without charge...someone arrested for murder or rape can be held for a maximum of 24 hrs (or 48hrs with court extension) without charge...hell even Sec 31 (offences against State) only allows 72 hrs custody without charge or extension.

This is the level of hypocrisy you're dealing with at a national level in this coutry...that someone supplying drugs is a greater danger than a potential murderer, rapist or terrorist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

He joins Katy French in that great "smack house" in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Thats a bit much no??

Has it been proven that Cocaine was the cause of his death?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1210/breaking32.html

"It heard toxicology tests carried out as part of postmortem examinations found he had traces of cocaine in his system which showed recent use.

Pathology reports showed the cause of death was cardiac arrhythmia, most likely caused by cocaine consumption."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement