Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Vs Chelsea Super Sunday

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Agree, the rub of the green went Chelsea's way on every turn.

Btw, anyone else think Cole should have been given a straight red for his lunge on Palacios towards the end? Looked really reckless from the reverse angle, two footed and off the ground!
    Ya I was really surprised sky said nothing just caught there or some ****e I thought it was reckless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Agree, the rub of the green went Chelsea's way on every turn.

Btw, anyone else think Cole should have been given a straight red for his lunge on Palacios towards the end? Looked really reckless from the reverse angle, two footed and off the ground!

Really nasty from him, left the foot in and on another day could have been red.
    Hutton might just be the most underrated player in the league right now!

Another solid game from him.

He was ok today, end product was really lacking though. I wouldn't call him the most under rated player; solid is what he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

ancelloti - lampard didnt take peno because he wasnt able to shoot:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    There's a mute button on every single television remote ever made, ever.

You gonna mute a game in the pub?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

mars bar wrote: »
    You gonna mute a game in the pub?!
    I can rarely here the commentary in the pub, there's normally music on the jukebox instead because everyone hates the commentary anyway.

Haven't been to the pub to watch a match in a long time though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I can rarely here the commentary in the pub, there's normally music on the jukebox instead because everyone hates the commentary anyway.

Haven't been to the pub to watch a match in a long time though :(

That's weird!

In the pub I go to, the commentary is turned up so loud you would contemplate ear plugs at times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hutton might just be the most underrated player in the league right now!

Another solid game from him.

He's an absolutely excellent player and I'm gutted that we (Sunderland) didn't stump up the cash Spurs wanted for him in the summer. There's no chance he'd want to come back to us now though.

Well done to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

markesmith wrote: »

I'd love to be able to watch a match with no commentary. Guess going to live games would do that!

Ive been wanting this for ages. Clearly Sky could have it as a red button option. Its amazing they havnt introduced it yet but i think they dont want people making up their own minds. I know the commentators have to plug upcoming porgrammes but if they just put graphics on screen it would probably have the same if not more effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Pauleta wrote: »
    Ive been wanting this for ages. Clearly Sky could have it as a red button option. Its amazing they havnt introduced it yet but i think they dont want people making up their own minds. I know the commentators have to plug upcoming porgrammes but if they just put graphics on screen it would probably have the same if not more effect.

Not sure if they still have it but for most games about 2 seasons ago they used to have a 'crowd' option on the audio setting on the red button.

I used to just put on FanZone, though.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Great result for City, another draw tomorrow please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Johner wrote: »
    Hilarious how any can think Spurs should have won that
    Don't be fatuous, Johner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Nailz wrote: »
    Don't be fatuous, Johner.

A draw was probably a fair result, Spurs looked more dangerous coming forward but we dominated the second half and weren't bad in the first, I just think it's funny Spurs fans saying they are annoyed they didn't win when we missed a penalty in the last minute! no way we did we deserve to lose that game.

A draw was probably a fair result, Spurs looked more dangerous coming forward but we dominated the second half and weren't bad in the first, I just think it's funny Spurs fans saying they are annoyed they didn't win when we missed a penalty in the last minute! no way we did we deserve to lose that game.
    You missed the penalty and Gomes was a shambles for your equalizer of course we are going to be disappointed when it could of so easily of been prevented

You missed the penalty and Gomes was a shambles for your equalizer of course we are going to be disappointed when it could of so easily of been prevented

Fair enough, I still don't think we deserved to lose and I would have been very disappointed if we had, we played quite well.

Fair enough, I still don't think we deserved to lose and I would have been very disappointed if we had, we played quite well.
    I don't think you deserved to lose either we didn't perform today and you were better but still really disappointing as I thought we did a very good defensive job all undone by a moment of madness

I don't think you deserved to lose either we didn't perform today and you were better but still really disappointing as I thought we did a very good defensive job all undone by a moment of madness

Spurs did well in defense, thought BAE was brilliant and probably Spurs motm. I was surprised to see Defoe coming off as he would have been ideal second half for catching us on the break with pace, is he fully fit?

Spurs did well in defense, thought BAE was brilliant and probably Spurs motm. I was surprised to see Defoe coming off as he would have been ideal second half for catching us on the break with pace, is he fully fit?
    He should be fully fit yes I was surprised as well figured Harry probably wanted to bring on Crouch to hold the ball up didn't work though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Both teams were only in first gear for most of the game. Chelsea still don't zip the ball about as they were at the begining of the season. Back 4 seemed to be getting back to their best. Spurs looked tired and really missed van der vaart and huddlestone. Gomes was dodgy throughout. Seems the title race is only just starting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Throught the draw was fair enough today, both teams well below what they're capable of.

Whats becoming increasingly apparent is that Spurs will win nothing with that clown in goal, today he very nearly turned a great home win into a defeat today and follows on from his high profile clanger against United. Not good enough.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Whats becoming increasingly apparent is that Spurs will win nothing with that clown in goal, today he very nearly turned a great home win into a defeat today and follows on from his high profile clanger against United. Not good enough.

disagree , Gomes has been much improved last 12 months , very shaky start when he joined us first, tony parkes sorted him out , granted he is prone to the odd clanger but what keeper isnt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

BERBA wrote: »
    disagree , Gomes has been much improved last 12 months , very shaky start when he joined us first, tony parkes sorted him out , granted he is prone to the odd clanger but what keeper isnt?

Carlo Cudicini.

Can't remember him making a mistake while he was at Chelsea.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Carlo Cudicini.

You're joking me right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

You're joking me right?

He was widely recognised as one of the best keepers in the Primula League when he was first choice at Chelsea.

Carlo Cudicini.

From The Sunday Times October 19, 2003

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1: Cudicini clanger puts Arsenal top

From The Sunday Times October 19, 2003

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 1: Cudicini clanger puts Arsenal top
    How do people not remember this?

Ball crossed in, he comes to collect,and then it slips out of his hands, and into Henrys(I think) path.

Go to 3.33

How do people not remember this?

Ball crossed in, he comes to collect,and then it slips out of his hands, and into Henrys(I think) path.

That was one of his only mistakes that cost a goal, I'd be hard pressed to think of another.

For his height he was super consistent with crosses, was a fantastic shot-stopper, saved over half the penalties taken against him and he commanded his box very well.

I don't know how good he is anymore, seeing as he hasn't played regularly in 4 years but he'd definitely be better then that clown Gomes who has had a careers worth of "clangers" in his 2 seasons at Spurs.

That was one of his only mistakes that cost a goal, I'd be hard pressed to think of another.

but you said you couldnt think of any originally:confused:

No point being a pedant in this argument.

He makes a fairly good point, Carlo was a very consistent keeper during his time at Chelsea, I'd have to agree.

I never understood why he doesn't get his game over Gomes, who is a bumbling idiot at times.

I'll be honest it didn't spring to mind originally, it was 7 years ago. But considering Gomes used to do stuff like this on a weekly basis.

• Advertisement

No point being a pedant in this argument.

He makes a fairly good point, Carlo was a very consistent keeper during his time at Chelsea, I'd have to agree.

I never understood why he doesn't get his game over Gomes, who is a bumbling idiot at times.

check him out v inter milan in san siro when gomes was sent out and you see why

He has improved, but a club with apirations to being a championship contender needs a keeper that won't let you down in big games.

check him out v inter milan in san siro when gomes was sent out and you see why
    That's after 4 years of not playing regularly, and suffering a car crash IIRC.

That's after 4 years of not playing regularly, and suffering a car crash IIRC.

you did ask why he didnt get his game ahead of gomes?

you did ask why he didnt get his game ahead of gomes?
    I kind of meant before he was left rot on the bench for 4 years.

He was a great keeper when he joined.

Moral of the story is Spurs should be asking the nice Arabs at City can they have a certain Donegalman on loan in January. Doubt they'll oblige though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Moral of the story is Spurs should be asking the nice Arabs at City can they have a certain Donegalman on loan in January. Doubt they'll oblige though.

Why? Gomes is better than Given.

I kind of meant before he was left rot on the bench for 4 years.

He was a great keeper when he joined.

fair enough , but it's easy to say cuducini didnt make many mistakes at chelski when he only made 143 appearances in 10 years

easy to make no clangers when your bench warming;)

SantryRed wrote: »
    Why? Gomes is better than Given.

Disagree strongly. Given is a safe pair of hands, Gomes can be brilliant but he has a worrying tendancy to do some really stupid things at the worst possible time.

imo think Gomes is a better keeper than Given. Given aint getting any younger and he getting rusty on that bench with city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Gomes reminds me a lot of bartez. He can make great saves but your heart is in your mouth most of the time. To let a goal in like today is not good enough for a lower league goalie

• Advertisement

fair enough , but it's easy to say cuducini didnt make many mistakes at chelski when he only made 143 appearances in 10 years

easy to make no clangers when your bench warming;)

From 1999-2003 he was first choice, he won the golden gloves in 2002, considering the defence at the time this is a magnificent achievement.

How many goals is Gomes directly responsible for in the brief time he's been at Spurs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Oh, so close, yet so far... Was nearly in tears when that peno was saved...

But a majorly improved performance today from all players in Blue. Plus, victory was always going to be difficult at White Hart Lane. I was happy enough with a draw... until we had the very real chance of winning the shaggin thing!!!

Great to see Super Frank back!!!:D

All in all... I'm clinging to a hope that the slump has reached it's floor in the past and now the claw back is on. United next week now is even bigger than before.

A good performance and some great passages of play. C'MON CHELSEA!

Advertisement