Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think its ok for me to get a dog?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    your pictures didn't post, please try again I'd love to see them!

Oops! I'll try that one again :)

The Nibbler aka. Roly Poly the Basset Hound
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzJfciTAx4

Obi and Roly and the first snowfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbTGLDiMCV0

Playing in the snow...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6_MLs7tO8A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I saw her get hit by a car in Galway then she hobbled off & I lost sight of her. Then luckily I saw her in Shop Street, of all places !. I ended up having to take my belt off to catch her with it. The GSPCA had no transport so I took her to the Vet & the rest is history.

Now here is a confession. I had never found Greyhounds to be in the least bit appealing. She won me over in about 20 mins !. I have since met lots & they are all adorable. But don't be fooled by the butter wouldn't melt look. She can be really playful & gives the pup one heck of a run around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Hi,
    [FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve wanted a dog for years, but because I live in a duplex (no garden) I told myself I’d wait till I’m living in a house with a garden. Lately all I can think about is getting a dog and really don’t wont to wait any more, but I’m put off by the idea that it wouldn’t be fair to the dog. [/FONT]

Like I said, I live in a duplex that is quite large. I’m usually out of the house from 8-6pm (average), so the dog would be home by itself for 10hours. I’ve spoken to a few people that don’t see a problem with this, but I don’t know….

I should add that I have had a dog before, I loved him to bits and we had a very happy 12 years together. Losing him was devastating, and it’s only now (6 years later) that I can even consider getting another.
    Also the dog I’m thinking of getting is a Yorkshire terrier.

Thank you for your input

Op I have a yorkie and the are just loveable, There is no problem leaving them alone. lots of people work and have animals. you should get a minature one.

I also have a german shepherd who is fine at home all day. Make sure you leave some toys for playing with.

The yorkies just love to sleep all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

hondasam wrote: »
    Op I have a yorkie and the are just loveable, There is no problem leaving them alone. lots of people work and have animals. you should get a minature one.

I also have a german shepherd who is fine at home all day. Make sure you leave some toys for playing with.

The yorkies just love to sleep all day.

Standard Yorkies are tiny enough without the whole host of medical and health issues arising from continually breeding the runts together to create minature or teacup dogs ;)

Standard Yorkies are tiny enough without the whole host of medical and health issues arising from continually breeding the runts together to create minature or teacup dogs ;)

ya but the are so cute !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

ya but the are so cute !

No disrespect intended, but that's exactly the problem for some breeds of dog... people look at them and think "hmmm, those dogs sure are unhealthy, but they're so cute.. let's breed them anyway!!" :rolleyes:

dvet wrote: »
    No disrespect intended, but that's exactly the problem for some breeds of dog... people look at them and think "hmmm, those dogs sure are unhealthy, but they're so cute.. let's breed them anyway!!" :rolleyes:

I know a few people with minature yorkies and the are happy healthy dogs. I know what you are saying but not all minature dogs are unhealthy.

I know a few people with minature yorkies and the are happy healthy dogs. I know what you are saying but not all minature dogs are unhealthy.

Oh yeah, totally agreed that they're not all unhealthy. And this is thanks to the responsible breeders out there, that go to great pains to make sure they breed healthy dogs!

I wasn't talking about mini yorkies in particularly at all though, there are unfortunately loads of examples out there... the pugs who struggle to breathe all day long, the labs who have multiple joint problems at 2 years old, etc etc.. and all lovely dogs they are (and they are cute!), but such a pity for them!

dvet wrote: »
    Oh yeah, totally agreed that they're not all unhealthy. And this is thanks to the responsible breeders out there, that go to great pains to make sure they breed healthy dogs!

I wasn't talking about mini yorkies in particularly at all though, there are unfortunately loads of examples out there... the pugs who struggle to breathe all day long, the labs who have multiple joint problems at 2 years old, etc etc.. and all lovely dogs they are (and they are cute!), but such a pity for them!

yes I agree but I was only talking about yorkies. I dont know enough about other breeds to comment.

p.s. I didn't really mean to direct it at you hondasam, i know you were only saying that they are cute, which they totally are! I'm more directing it at any irresponsible breeders, of all breeds, out there (of which there are too many!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Oh they are so cute I agree. But one of my relatives has one and as cute as she is, she is almost too small, its impossible to hear her walk around! :eek: And worst of all she can't bark, she's about 4 now and she can't make a sound. My relative was told by her dogs vet that because of the in-breathing to get her to that size she probably wont ever will. I just think that is so sad. :(

sionnaic wrote: »
    Oops! I'll try that one again :)

The Nibbler aka. Roly Poly the Basset Hound
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVzJfciTAx4

Obi and Roly and the first snowfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbTGLDiMCV0

Playing in the snow...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6_MLs7tO8A

aaaaaawwwww! So cute, thank you for posting your little beauties! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My relative was told by her dogs vet that because of the in-breathing to get her to that size she probably wont ever will. I just think that is so sad. :(

Hi, it's called inbreeding or close breeding.

EGAR wrote: »
    Hi, it's called inbreeding or close breeding.

thanks for the spell check, I think you got the idea anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sigh, it has nothing to do with spell checking, many people read here who do not post or are aware of the implications of inbreeding. They would not get very far googling in-breathing in relation to genetic diseases and their implications.

Advertisement