Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about my brakes....

• 10-12-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I have a Felt F95, the same as shown here http://www.eurocycles.ie/Road_Bikes/Felt_95_Team_Issue_2010/3613_p.aspx .

I have upgraded a few bits and pieces over the past few months because the parts it came with were ****ty, ie. I replaced the 2 mechs with Ultegra and the shifters to new 105...

The calipers that are on the bike are just plain black.. no brandname at all.. and all the brchures just say 'dual pivot brakes w/ Cartridge brake shoes'... I have no idea what make they are....

They aren't great and now seem to be sticking and rubbing the rims a bit even after a few tweaks with an allen key.. Long story short, I am thinking of replacing them..

Does anyone know who makes these calipers and are they any good....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Is it possible your wheels are out of true? this could be causing the rubbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sticking brakes can be caused by a few things - incorrectly aligned pads can get caught under the rim, the brakes can be filled with gunk so that the spring doesn't have the power to release them again.

As abcdggs says, if your wheels are out of true, they will rub. They can also often rub when sprinting as the wheels flex from side to side.

Looking at the images, they're unbranded Shimano-compatible brakes. Very serviceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Hey... no, the wheels are straight alright, the rear caliper just keeps to one side.... I'm sure I could bring it to a shop and get it sorted.... but I want to treat myself to some new gear...!

In that case i'd suggest these
    Bremse-Zero.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's just sitting to one side, you should be able to pivot it by hand to re-align it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

From what i can gather is that your brakes are broken an you want to justify new buying a brand new bike.
    No justification needed. Just buy one.

'unbranded Shimano-compatible brakes'.

That sounds so cheap.

abcdggs - what are they...? they're nice.... me likey..

My dream calipers, and available in many different colours too
    http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5177

Fender76 wrote: »
    'unbranded Shimano-compatible brakes'.

That sounds so cheap.

abcdggs - what are they...? they're nice.... me likey..

you will likey a lot less when you see the price.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ee-brakes are better.

• Advertisement

look if he is intent on spending a large wadge of cash on brakes there can only be one.http://cgi.ebay.ie/Campagnolo-C-Record-DELTA-BRAKE-NOS-NIB-/360325057359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e50c0b4f#ht_852wt_932

Whoa there... I'm not made of money... I was thinking of picking uop some second hand Ultegra calipers or something...!

Whoa there... I'm not made of money... I was thinking of picking uop some second hand Ultegra calipers or something...!

Why buy Ultegra's when you can buy nice one's?

Relax lads it's Friday:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

bcmf wrote: »
    Why buy Ultegra's when you can buy nice one's?

Mine aren't for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

I have a Felt F95, the same as shown here http://www.eurocycles.ie/Road_Bikes/Felt_95_Team_Issue_2010/3613_p.aspx .

I have upgraded a few bits and pieces over the past few months because the parts it came with were ****ty, ie. I replaced the 2 mechs with Ultegra and the shifters to new 105...

The calipers that are on the bike are just plain black.. no brandname at all.. and all the brchures just say 'dual pivot brakes w/ Cartridge brake shoes'... I have no idea what make they are....

They aren't great and now seem to be sticking and rubbing the rims a bit even after a few tweaks with an allen key.. Long story short, I am thinking of replacing them..

Does anyone know who makes these calipers and are they any good....?

Sticking ... are your brake pads 'toed' in ?

Are your forks tight enough, sometimes loose forks seems like brakes sticking on the front.

Rubbing rims ... what do you mean ? If you are getting a grating noise there may be shards of metal/grit in the pads which you can take out. If so, swap to Kool-stop pads.

I quite like the look of these, no idea how good they are though ! :):
    34550.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Am I the only one who thinks those Campy Delta's are just plain ugly??

happytramp wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks those Campy Delta's are just plain ugly??

SACRILIGE!!!!!!

ok I know we all have our own opinions

Advertisement