Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of nerves playing piano?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I play piano and I am doing grade 5 soon but I find the nerves are getting the better of me :(.. I got distictions in all my grades except the last one I did. So I was wondering does anyone have any tips on getting rid of nerves and being more relaxed playing in front of people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Perform a lot. Make your own performance opportunities...even playing for friends on a regular basis helps to break down performance fears and anxieties over time. There is no other way really. However, breathing deeply is a good way to steady nerves before an exam, especially if you are prone to shaky hands. Hope that helps somewhat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Perform a lot. Make your own performance opportunities...even playing for friends on a regular basis helps to break down performance fears and anxieties over time. There is no other way really. However, breathing deeply is a good way to steady nerves before an exam, especially if you are prone to shaky hands. Hope that helps somewhat. :)

All that and Camomile tea(a huge cup)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Perform a lot. Make your own performance opportunities...even playing for friends on a regular basis helps to break down performance fears and anxieties over time. There is no other way really. However, breathing deeply is a good way to steady nerves before an exam, especially if you are prone to shaky hands. Hope that helps somewhat. smile.gif

Ya I am definatly prone to shaky hands too. I never thought of playing for friends actually. But I find its more for people I don't know I get nervous around :confused:.. Thanks for the advice Doshea3 :)
    All that and Camomile tea(a huge cup)!!

Does that actually help? I've never tried it before actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

I was travelling to Prague earlier this year and had a huge cup in the airport, the journey floated by, like I was under a trance and still made it to my destination OK! Never used it in performance tho, usually beer is had....

Haha I must definatley give it a try :D Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Just looking at your username OP, I would strongly recommend staying away from caffeine before performances! ;)

That and nicotine, if you smoke that is.

As Doshea said, breathing deeply and relaxing is your best tool. I might get Big Stupid Guy on here again to give you some tips, he's well used to performing!

My first public performance was the most nerve-wrecking experience of my live. I practiced the piece (rach's CSharp minor prelude) OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again, until I could do it without thinking or looking at the piano. That still didn't stop me from shaking uncontrollably when I sat down at the piano.

I think the worst bit was when the audience stopped applauding and expected me to start. I had a preconceived plan to sit there for as long as I needed with my eyes closed, breathing deeply, imagining I was in the practice room by myself. Apart from one of two faults, I still maintain it's the best I've ever played it.

Conversely, some people like to sit down and start immediately, not letting the nerves kick in.

Whichever works I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Had this problem for my grade 6....had actually started the exam then I freaked out, ended up leaving after two minutes, went for a walk, let the next person in ahead of me, then the legend of an examiner let me go in again and sit the exam like nothing happened...got a high honour:)

Since then I spent nearly 2 years playing the organ in my local church....that's what really got me over my fear of performing in public, practice really is the way to go! Every resteraunt/bar you're in that has a piano, ask a manager and they'll usually be happy to let you play....learn a few pieces like piano man, james bond theme, etc...general "crowd pleasers"....pretty much every time ive done this ive either got an applause, drink(s) bought for me, or someone approaching me afterwards thanking me, it'll do wonders for your confidence, you'll be over your fear in no time:D

Just looking at your username OP, I would strongly recommend staying away from caffeine before performances! wink.gif

That and nicotine, if you smoke that is.

As Doshea said, breathing deeply and relaxing is your best tool. I might get Big Stupid Guy on here again to give you some tips, he's well used to performing!

My first public performance was the most nerve-wrecking experience of my live. I practiced the piece (rach's CSharp minor prelude) OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again, until I could do it without thinking or looking at the piano. That still didn't stop me from shaking uncontrollably when I sat down at the piano.

I think the worst bit was when the audience stopped applauding and expected me to start. I had a preconceived plan to sit there for as long as I needed with my eyes closed, breathing deeply, imagining I was in the practice room by myself. Apart from one of two faults, I still maintain it's the best I've ever played it.

Conversely, some people like to sit down and start immediately, not letting the nerves kick in.

Whichever works I suppose!

Haha I will definatly try and stay away from caffine ;) Nope don't smoke so I'm all good there :).. Ya I really can't stand the silence when you're playing and you know that the audience are listening. I find that so intimidating. Thanks for your advice :)
    Had this problem for my grade 6....had actually started the exam then I freaked out, ended up leaving after two minutes, went for a walk, let the next person in ahead of me, then the legend of an examiner let me go in again and sit the exam like nothing happened...got a high honoursmile.gif

Since then I spent nearly 2 years playing the organ in my local church....that's what really got me over my fear of performing in public, practice really is the way to go! Every resteraunt/bar you're in that has a piano, ask a manager and they'll usually be happy to let you play....learn a few pieces like piano man, james bond theme, etc...general "crowd pleasers"....pretty much every time ive done this ive either got an applause, drink(s) bought for me, or someone approaching me afterwards thanking me, it'll do wonders for your confidence, you'll be over your fear in no timebiggrin.gif

O my god that examiner must have been sooo nice :) I hated the examiner I had the last time. Ya thats actually a brillant idea. I never would have thought of playing in restaurants etc.. Must get learning a few pieces like that. Thanks for your advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

here's some advice I was given

1. During/Just Before performance your heartbeat increases and also your body temp can go up or down (cold sweats etc)... to learn to control this you should re-create these conditions when practicing...run up and down the stairs put on the heating and try to sit down and begin.

2. Don't leave it till the day of the performance to start getting nervous.. get nervous asap and picture yourself at all times when you practice in the situation you are going to be in during the performance..

3. Check posture and breathing.. the natural instinct is to take a deep breath, hold it and then begin playing... instead take a deep breath,,,exhale slowly and begin while exhaling...

4. Play the first two bars in your head just before you begin

5. SLOW practice

6. Record yourself (we tend to be Hyper-aware of our playing especially when we realise someone else is listening) even if you can't get an audience into a room before hand put a recording up on youtube..

Hope that helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Forgot to say..

Have a look at " the inner game of music" by barry green,,, originally "the inner game of golf" but he re-wrote it for musicians.. pretty good techniques to 'get in the zone':cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Haha! I can see it now.....

Open Document 'theinnergameofgolf'

Search Golf

Replace with Music

SELL! :D

Advertisement