Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 126 predictions

• 10-12-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Yo all,
    Just wondering what you all think about ufc 126 Silva vs Belfort?
    Silva got so lucky against sonnen but do you think he might come back and fight like he always did against belfort?

http://uk.ufc.com/event/UFC126#/fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A bit early isn't it, its not on for weeks. We haven't even had 125 yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Mellor wrote:
    A bit early isn't it, its not on for weeks. We haven't even had 125 yet???

True, but im looking forward to it more than any other fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Saying he got lucky is simply an uneducated view of the sport!

Yes he was being beaten in the previous rounds. However Silva has been around a long time and has spent years training and is a BJJ black belt under the Nogueira brothers. To pull off that triangle under that kind of pressure is nothing but skill my friend. He didnt get "lucky" this is years practicing the same technique which allowed him to attack with the triangle with the correct timing.

Silva won with skill not luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Saying he got lucky is simply an uneducated view of the sport!

Yes he was being beaten in the previous rounds. However Silva has been around a long time and has spent years training and is a BJJ black belt under the Nogueira brothers. To pull off that triangle under that kind of pressure is nothing but skill my friend. He didnt get "lucky" this is years practicing the same technique which allowed him to attack with the triangle with the correct timing.

Silva won with skill not luck.

Well yeh of course he's been doing it for years, the fact of the matter is that he got dominated through the entire fight. What was it, 30 seconds from the finish line and he would have lost, it was one of the only chances he had to even get close to finishing the fight and getting the chance to do it 30 seconds from the finish is lucky in my book.
    Look call me uneducated in the sport if you want, you dont know me, you dont know what if know about the sport. Im a big Silva fan, but in my eyes he got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Well thats your opinion. Yes he was being dominated, but he was also setting up that triangle for most of the round for a chance to attack with it, i see skill in that not luck.

Lucky would be if Sonnen slipped knocked himself half out allowing Silva to finish.

Im not denying Silva was loosing the fight up to that point. But him using his skills not his luck he won the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It's worth noting as well that Sonnen was busy fighting contenders at middleweight and eating his spinach in the immediate year or so before fighting Silva, so he was in very good shape.

Belfort hasn't had a single fight at middleweight in the UFC as far as I know and hasn't fought anyone in over a year. I do think Belfort is a far better opponent than Sonnen though quality-wise but I'm not looking past 125 yet, looks like a hell of a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, will be nearly 18 months by the time feb comes, he has had 2 middleweight fights, none in the ufc, his closest being a single catchweight bout at 195

Advertisement