Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from NUI Galway

Options
  • 10-12-2010 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

You have been banned from NUI Galway for the following duration:

2 Day(s)

for the following reason:

questioning mod decisions in thread. Sick of your bull. I think you know full well that personal attacks between two people aren't allowed. have a two day time out.

There were no personal attacks in the thread that I recall, so I PMed this mod asking for an explanation and received:
    You're well aware of what was happening, I don't see what you need explained to you unless you were involved in a variant of automatic writing? (automatic posting??)

I replied "I just told you what I want explained to me.

Explain the personal attacks that took place."

And received:
    Why?

Clearly there is no point discussing this moderation with said Mod, so I thought I'd bring it here. I'm not entirely disputing the moderation (yet), I'd just like an explanation first.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Another PM from the mod, hoped it would contain the explanation I had asked for, instead it was
    You 'forgot' to ask for permission to publish pm's by me before you starting your thread. Nice one.

Well this has been productive...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It is the weekend, so it's possible that the relevant CMods aren't around. With that in mind I've had a look at this for you.

The fact is that you questioned a direct mod instruction on-thread, and this is something that will be sanctioned on every forum on this site, regardless of whether or not it's explicitly mentioned in the charter. To me the only issue is whether a ban was justified or not. Personally I probably would have infracted rather than ban you, but this is something we leave up to the forum mods.

Note to brianthebard:

As per the forum guidelines above, Fionn MacCool did not require your permission to post the PMs from you here.
    Private message conversations in relation to the topic at hand are ok to publish in this forum in an attempt to resolve an issue. This is contrary to normal Boards.ie Guidelines that permission be sought before publication of any PMs sent or received.

Zaph wrote: »
    It is the weekend, so it's possible that the relevant CMods aren't around. With that in mind I've had a look at this for you.
    Fair enough, the way some of the mods carry on you'd swear it was a full time job :pac:
    The fact is that you questioned a direct mod instruction on-thread, and this is something that will be sanctioned on every forum on this site, regardless of whether or not it's explicitly mentioned in the charter
    I understand you are not allowed to criticise moderator decisions, but I thought it was ok to ask which part of the charter was in danger of being breached - since nothing had really happened when this mod felt it necessary to make his snide post calling us children.
    To me the only issue is whether a ban was justified or not. Personally I probably would have infracted rather than ban you, but this is something we leave up to the forum mods.
    I think that's the problem here.
    Note to brianthebard:

As per the forum guidelines above, Fionn MacCool did not require your permission to post the PMs from you here.
    Don't worry, I've already explain the forum rules to him. Funnily enough it was the only PM that he didn't deem worth of a smart reply (or any reply in fact!).

Thanks for taking the time to look this over anyway, my ban is nearly over so I'll just make sure I don't bother posting there as much, until there are some new mods at least.

Grand so, I'll close this and mark it resolved.

• Advertisement

Re-opened at OP's request

Bump for when relevent CMod's finish their hectic weekend

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Don't get snippy.... We're not your maids and if you wish you (and your attitude) are welcome to not come back.

DeV.

Thanks for the reply

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

PM sent to brianthebard about the posts in question.

I would normally think an infraction rather than a bad for a one-off questioning of moderation. However, it's been proven over time that the college forums can quickly get out of hand unless there's a real and demonstrated threat of a ban.

Therefore, if I get shown the personal abuse by brianthebard I would have no hesistation in upholding the ban.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you did argue on thread with the moderator, therefore I'm recommending that the ban stays.

Where did I argue? I merely asked which part of the charter he was saying we were breaking.

I''d also still like someone to show me the personal abuse I have been accused of posting.

Thanks

You should have asked that question by PM.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69493121&postcount=106

In this post you escalated things by having a go at the forum mods. Not acceptable.

Red Alert wrote: »
    You should have asked that question by PM.
    Mod was ignoring my PMs
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69493121&postcount=106

In this post you escalated things by having a go at the forum mods. Not acceptable.

I asked which part of the charter was being broken, because the mod had just made a snide post telling us to stop which I felt was unnecessary.

I am still waiting for one of the moderation team to detail the Personal Abuse I was accused of posting. Why is this taking so long?

Advertisement