Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80,000 ATM cards skimmed

Options
  • 10-12-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I received a new card from my bank about 14 days ago and used it in only one ATM ( The one beside the IMC cinema in Dun Laoghaire) My card was skimmed and a person in Peru tried to access €450 but it was rejected as i used it 3 minutes prior in Dublin. I just thought it was just me

I have just been told that 80,000 people in the Dun Laoghaire area have been effected and i know 4 people in the past few minutes who have rang me and said there balance is at 0. Their banks all of which are AIB said there was huge amount of fraud through skimming involved.

Just letting people know if you used your card be prepared

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I heard about this too.

The one beside the IMC cinema and also the bank of ireland machine on georges st. This happened/was discovered during the middle of last week (26th Nov) I believe. I did not know it was 80k cards though. I wonder if this is related to BOI 'technical issues'

I am told this previously happened at the one by the ferry port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

thats the exact date i used my card beside the IMC, a lot of stuff with the banks going on alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Morlar wrote: »
    I heard about this too.

The one beside the IMC cinema and also the bank of ireland machine on georges st. This happened/was discovered during the middle of last week (26th Nov) I believe. I did not know it was 80k cards though. I wonder if this is related to BOI 'technical issues'

I am told this previously happened at the one by the ferry port.

jesus wept,where did you pull that 'link'out of.?...how in the name of god could it be related to the BOI problem?

heavyballs wrote: »
    jesus wept,where did you pull that 'link'out of.?...how in the name of god could it be related to the BOI problem?

Jesus wept indeed - I didn't pull the link in the name of god.

I asked - 'I wonder if it could be related to the current issues'

Bearing in mind that this appears to be a large scale skimming operation, and BOI having technical issues which included ATM issues at more or less the same time it does not seem that unfair a question to me.

I did not say there was a link. I do not know if there is or not. I simply asked 'I wonder could this be related'. In the name of jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Morlar wrote: »
    Jesus wept indeed - I didn't pull the link in the name of god.

I asked - 'I wonder if it could be related to the current issues'

Bearing in mind that this appears to be a large scale skimming operation, and BOI having technical issues which included ATM issues at more or less the same time it does not seem that unfair a question to me.

I did not say there was a link. I do not know if there is or not. I simply asked 'I wonder could this be related'. In the name of jesus wept.

ok ,ignore my last post

i can guarantee it had nothing whatsoever to do with the BOI issue,

• Advertisement

heavyballs wrote: »
    ok ,ignore my last post

i can guarantee it had nothing whatsoever to do with the BOI issue,

Ok sorry if that was a smartarsery reply - it's friday at 1745 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

You gotta love the banks, AIB fraud department contacted us back and after speaking about the account for a while my gf asked about the amount of people to which the guy replied there was a typo and it was actually only 80, unreal that there figures are sooooo way off from 80k to 80 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Not limited to just AIB cards both my sister and my godfather got done in dun laoghaire. Both BoI customers, one used BoI ATM at the BoI on the main street (can't think of its name) and the other at the IMC at bloomfields.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I had noticed that the atm beside the cinema was removed.. I use it quite regularly, so I'll have to go back through my transactions..

It's hard to believe these machines are not checked regularly (daily or at least weekly)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

The ATM is now back in action..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Brother got nailed too. He last used his card at the IMC on the 30th Nov. Question is, how long will it take before all accounts are reimbursed?? Folks need money for the big Turkey.

Advertisement