Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'SAIL TRAINING IRELAND' TO BE LAUNCHED 2011

• 10-12-2010 5:19pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I see a very interesting piece of news over on the ISA website
    Since the sinking of the Asgard II and the decision to wind up Coiste An Asgard, the ISA (Irish Sailing Association) has been facilitating a steering group with the aim of establishing an umbrella organisation, Sail Training Ireland, to develop a national sail training programme in Ireland. The steering group has been working with Sail Training International to establish a sustainable organisation that will work with training providers and host ports to build Irelands Sail Training Programme in the future.

The Tall Ships Race that visited Belfast last year is due to return to Waterford in 2011 and Dublin in 2012 is clear recognition by the race organisers of Ireland’s popularity as a destination, and a credit to the host ports who are able to facilitate such a great occasion.

The working group are preparing for the launch of Sail Training Ireland in a few weeks and are currently putting together a feasibility study and business plan for the organisation that may be presented to the Minister in the New Year.

Sail Training International has awarded a bursary to Sail Training Ireland which will provide funding to support the participation of young people in The Tall Ships Races 2011 and 2012.

“The small group that has been working on this will put together a sensible, practical but ambitious plan to ensure the legacy of Coiste an Asgard….” explains Nigel Rowe, Chairman of Sail Training International, “….it will enable Irish youth to continue to benefit from the sail training experience”.

Sheila Tyrrell, Chair of the steering group, who has a long history with sail training and in particular the Asgard remarks “The bursary from Sail Training International is very welcome and endorses the credibility of our plans to re-establish a national sail training programme. The steering group will be in a position to effect the launch of Sail Training Ireland this side of Christmas.”
    source

It would be fantastic to see a square rigger with an Irish ensign again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Got an email about this earlier, chartering a British Ship, but unfortunatly I have to go to French college.... know what I'd prefer though

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dnlduffy

i was just wandering if anybody knows if there will be an Irish entry into the race this year? the Creidne or the jeanie johnston?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gordon029

My first post.Is there the will and ability in the country to build a new Asgard.I am thinking of the insurance money got from the sinking of the original.It's the peoples money and coupled with lotto funding and maybe money from fundraising could raise enough to build another fine tall ship.We could do with a few symbols of hope in the country and this would provide both a working symbol and employment for a period of time for some skilled workers. I have no idea what the cost would be but if it cost about £12 million to build the Jeannie in Kerry and it's a lot bigger would a figure of 6/7 million euro be about right (roughly) to build a brigantine type vessel in Dublin.So any constructive comments would be welcome. Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

It was Sheila Tyrrell's dad that designed and built the Asgard II, she is one of the owners of Arklow shipping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

gordon029 wrote: »
    My first post.Is there the will and ability in the country to build a new Asgard.I am thinking of the insurance money got from the sinking of the original.It's the peoples money and coupled with lotto funding and maybe money from fundraising could raise enough to build another fine tall ship.We could do with a few symbols of hope in the country and this would provide both a working symbol and employment for a period of time for some skilled workers. I have no idea what the cost would be but if it cost about £12 million to build the Jeannie in Kerry and it's a lot bigger would a figure of 6/7 million euro be about right (roughly) to build a brigantine type vessel in Dublin.So any constructive comments would be welcome. Thank you

Why bother wasting tax money?

You can get the bounty for a little over 3 million - 50 berths
    http://www.easternyachts.com/bounty/index.htm

Jean de la Lune Brigantine 14 guests + 4 crew + 2 pilot berths
    under a half million euro!

Antates 20m schooner
    offers accommodation for up to 11 + in 4 cabins
    ~150k

For four million you could have all the above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Cgoodie

The insurance money was given back to the Dept of Finance so it's long been spent at this stage. There is no real government committment or will to refloat the Irish Sail Training programme. At the moment the only way that Ireland will have a national sail training programme is through a voluntary committee, I think this is what the ISA is trying to do with the steering group. Here's hoping that something positive comes out of this and we have an Irish flagged vessel back soon.

I had many's a happy time on Asgard II and am thankful that I'm one of the lucky ones that got to sail on such a beautiful vessel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cooleygate

Whilst the news that a committee, (reputedly there are several), are looking to keep sail training in Ireland alive is very welcome, practical opportunities to sail are required. With Tall Ships visiting Ireland this year and next, it would be a tragedy if Irish Tall Ship crews were not present.
    All is not lost as the schooner Johanna Lucretia although UK flagged has been entered in this years race and will have an Irish Crew. This is a non commercial private initiative to fly the flag for Irish Sail Training.

If sufficient interest is generated there is a strong possibility for further voyages later in the year.
    Interested? visit the Johanna Lucretia Facebook page.

I've signed up to do the delivery from Belfast to Waterford on her, is any else in?
    Kevin

Just want to bump this up, see if anyone else is in to sail on her...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

icedtea wrote: »
    Just want to bump this up, see if anyone else is in to sail on her...

how do you get involved, wouldn't mind doing the delivery trip aswell!

It's overbooked, deadline for payment was last Friday, look on ISA website and you might find some better info...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AK Ilen

Irish Sail Training Vessel - expected to be in operation 2014.

MOD SNIP - Commercial company

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mod Note:

AK Ilen, I can see no reference to any sail training vessel, all I see is a boatyard building a boat, running commercial courses and looking for financial support. It's may be a worthy cause, but it's also straying into the territory of spam. Please give us a lot more details or I'll have to take action.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A very interesting and promising piece in Afloat

http://www.afloat.ie/sail/tall-ships/item/15155-tall-order-for-ireland/

Advertisement