Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 is ripping off customers with unwanted options

Options
  • 10-12-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

O2 sends his customer texts repeatingly offering contact backups for 2E everytime contacts are added to the phone. These messages come back constantly until you inadvertently press the OK button. Customers are advised (when they call customer service) to send a "stop" message to some number, but that action doesn't work. They are making a fortune with this big scam. This is fraud and harassment and is extremely annoying! I want to switch to some other operator but don't know which one...:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

my phone doesnt offer me contact backups - have been with O2 for a number of years....and added plenty of contacts and deleted a few.

Even last night I added a new number !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

marielemen wrote: »
    O2 sends his customer texts repeatingly offering contact backups for 2E everytime contacts are added to the phone. These messages come back constantly until you inadvertently press the OK button. Customers are advised (when they call customer service) to send a "stop" message to some number, but that action doesn't work. They are making a fortune with this big scam. This is fraud and harassment and is extremely annoying! I want to switch to some other operator but don't know which one...:confused:

What game are you playing here? You registered in November, this is your first post and you clearly don't speak English as your first language, nobody who does would refer to a company as 'his'.

You can't respond to a text message by pressing OK so I don't know what you're talking about. I have been a customer of O2 for more than 10 years and they have never sent me such a text message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Who cares when he registered or what his first language is?

You might not have got a text message. I did get that message. But I don't get it every time I add a contact. I think this is the 2nd time I've got it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 marielemen

coylemj wrote: »
    What game are you playing here? You registered in November, this is your first post and you clearly don't speak English as your first language, nobody who does would refer to a company as 'his'.

You seem to be very upset and take the matter very personally. I don't think big multinationals like O2 need your xenophobic comments to defend themselves. PS Are you an O2 shareholder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

marielemen wrote: »
    coylemj wrote: »

You seem to be very upset and take the matter very personally. I don't think big multinationals like O2 need your xenophobic comments to defend themselves. PS Are you an O2 shareholder?

Just because some disagrees with you on this does not make them an O2 shareholder.

I have an O2 phone and have never had such a text and I doubt if such a scheme as you outline is technically unless your phone alerts the network when you update the phone book.

What model phone are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

http://seanmcn.com/2010/07/o2s-aggressive-backup-sim-service/
    http://community.o2online.ie/t5/iPhone/Backup-contacts/m-p/24976/highlight/true

Do you doubt it now?

The text I got is to remind me I haven't backup up my contacts in a while and to resync. I used it once in the past, to try it out. Wasn't that impressed, so never used it again. I don't get prompted for the yes/no thing. Perhaps because I've unbranded my phone and changed its region code and firmware. I'd suggest the OP start asking the O2 reps on the mobile forum and on their own support forum to help them cancel this. They don't always respond however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Having switched to 02 bill pay I get this a lot, I hit the ok button when it came up first as I was setting up my phone and had to press ok a bit, it cost either 1.50 or 2.00 cant rem, it regularly pops up asking me to back up new contacts think this costs 30cent. It is annoying and I would like to know if it is possible to stop it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daisydotty

I've only just sorted this out with O2.moved to them in June i think (got a prepay sony ericsson elm) and opted to back up my sim.grand no problem.then everytime 5 new contacts were added i got this pop up message asking me to i wish to update these new contacts to the sim back up service.no matter how many times i pressed back, it just kept popping back up-and in the end i'd press ok to get rid of it ( i think the charge was 50cents).rang them once to say would ye ever stop sending me these messages and yer one on customer service said grand.
    fast forward to 3 weeks ago.A pop up message telling me i've added 5new contacts-do i wish to back up.kept declining and it kept popping up every 3 mins until i was taking it out of my pocket and accidentally pressed OK.then the following week the pop up started again saying i've added 6 new contacts (which i hadn't) so i got really pissed off and customer service said they'd stop it.once again when unlocking my phone-i pressed ok and the same thing happened the following day.
    i was so mad.cos its 50cents a time and i hadnt added any new contacts.so i rang o2, told them it was a money making scam on their behalf, and they keep sending hte pop up so much you'll eventually press ok and i wanted out of the service.they werent sure how to do it so i told them its a service provided by o2 so find out and please refund me my credit that they'd taken.
    since then i've had no more pop ups and they gave me back my credit.
    money grabbing arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Contact Comreg as all these subscription services MUST have a freetext opt out service.

Advertisement