Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upc Ping

• 10-12-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

first of all i test my speed on www.speedtest.net when i test i get 14.75 down and 1.40 up and the ping is 25-40 jitter 2-7 packet loss 0%. then i check the upc website speed test and the ping is 900. then i go back to pingtest.net the ping has changed to 500.so then i checked other speed /ping test and it has my ping 900.

do you have any soultions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Wireless or Ethernet connection to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 DanielC95

wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Would some-one please tell me what the eff a ping is?! I have always really wanted to know! Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Would some-one please tell me what the eff a ping is?! I have always really wanted to know! Thanks. :)

It's a specially flagged packet sent to a machine, when then responds to it. The time to respond is used as an indicator of connectivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping

It's not a guarantee of connectivity though, since the target machine isn't obliged to respond, and many won't as a security precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

think of it as like sonar on a submarine (hence the name).

you send a ping out and measure the time it takes to come back, which is your latency. the quicker it comes back the better, particularly for things like online gaming and skype etc.

of course if you send a ping to a server in the USA then generally its going to take longer to get there than it would to a server in the UK so you need to take the distance from the server into account too.

pings are measured in milliseconds, so 1/1000th of a second. it seems unbelievably fast in human terms but 1ms is pretty slow in computer terms. :)

if you sent a ping to a 2nd computer in your home, you'd expect a response time of 1-2ms as it's so close. directly to something local in your ISP would normally be less than 10-20ms and something like boards.ie would be 30-40ms if its not busy and onwards and upwards it goes as you get further and further out.

if you're doing a speedtest and pinging a speedtest server close to you, you'll want to see a nice low ping and good download speeds, but you have to expect the ping to go up and the speed to go down as you get further away and the added distance will put obstacles in the way of your data.

• Advertisement

1066766453.png

Ping test

29977908.png

then upc speedtest
    13.73 down
    1.02 upload

ping 1013

has anyone got any solutions please ?

DanielC95 wrote: »
    1066766453.png

Ping test

29977908.png

then upc speedtest
    13.73 down
    1.02 upload

ping 1013

has anyone got any solutions please ?
    yes, the simple solution is to not use pingtest.net.

do you actually have a problem with your connection?

is there a noticeable issue with anything you are doing online EXCEPT for pingtest.net results?

you can turn off ip flood detection in your router, but ALL that will do is improve your pingtest.net results, it won't actually make anything physically better on your connection. the very unreliable results UPC customers are known to get on a very regular basis are meaningless if you don't actually have a problem.

if you DO actually have a problem then your first port of call is UPC support so they can run some tests with you, but don't just assume because you get poor results on pingtest.net that there must be an issue if there isn't actually anything tangibly wrong.

I don't know if i have a problem realistically i wouldn't know because this is what i have always had there is a possibility that i could have a better service but i wouldn't know but to answer i haven't noticed any significant problem.
    and its not pingtest because i go to pingtest first get perfect results 2 min later i go to upc/magnet speedtest terrible results go back to pingtest and terrible again
    Thanks 4 your help :)

DanielC95 wrote: »
    I don't know if i have a problem realistically i wouldn't know because this is what i have always had there is a possibility that i could have a better service but i wouldn't know but to answer i haven't noticed any significant problem.
    and its not pingtest because i go to pingtest first get perfect results 2 min later i go to upc/magnet speedtest terrible results go back to pingtest and terrible again
    Thanks 4 your help :)
    it seems a bit weird that that would happen.

have you tried doing the tests with different browsers or closing your browser down between tests to see if it makes any difference? it could just be a browser issue of some sort.

Advertisement