Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(yet another) Xmas dinner thread - turkey...

Options
  • 10-12-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

I don't want to hijack any of the other threads looking for recipes/ suggestions etc, so starting a new one, specifically on turkey questions.

Having xmas dinner in ours for the first time, 6 adults in total.
    Should I go for a "normal" turkey, or boned & rolled or crown?
    What's the difference in cooking times etc?
    How big a turkey do I need for 6 ppl in each of those various guises?
    What sort of money are we talking? The local butchers (Stillorgan) is looking for 20euro for turkey deposit, so I'm guessing it's not going to be cheap!

Also thinking of getting a small pheasant to go with the turkey, is it the right season for this and what sort of money for that also?
    Ta
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'd go for a 12-15lb turkey for 6 people (if you want some leftovers). I'd cook a whole bird, as some people like dark meat, others just breast meat. It'll take 4 to 6 hours to cook a turkey of that size, unstuffed, add at least another 30 mins if it's stuffed. If you;re buying from a butcher, don't be afraid to ask for specific coking instructions for your bird - butchers know these things!

I can't advise re costs, because that largely depends on what type of turkey you're after - a bog basic frozen one, a free range Golden Norfolk, or something in between. Do shop around though, because prices vary a lot. If we're having turkey (which we're not this year) I usually gamble and go buy a free range one on Christmas Eve - there are always some left over that haven't been picked up by people who've ordered them etc. I've had a few bargains that way - but wouldn't recommend it if you're expecting guests - sod's law would dictate that you'd not find anything!

I saw some ready stuffed (and frozen) pheasants in both Aldi and Lidl yesterday - bought one to try it, but it's still in the freezer. One pheasant can stretch to serve 2 people (and mine will!) but it's a bit of a mean portion that way - not a lot of meat on a pheasant. Mine was €9.99 from Aldi.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement