Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying as a mature student for medicine

Options
  • 10-12-2010 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey guys,
    Im 23 and strongly considering applying to do medicine as a mature student for 2011.Unfortunately ive missed the ucas deadline so im limited to applying here and wondering am i fooling myself considering the high amount of applicants and hpat.i am a qualified dental hygienist and have worked at that for 4 years,just wondering has anyone else had experience in the process or any other helpful input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

hello!

That's great that you want to take the leap :D

Would you not wait a year and apply for UCAS next year? You could save and also take some anatomy courses or something if you wanted?

Alternatively, yeh the HPAT i believe is tricky, thank god it came in just after i got in ;) I think people take courses to maximise their scores on it? But still there are a certain number of places for matures aren't there? Like for the accelerated mature course in Surgeons?

One of the meds should be able to shed much more light!

It's brilliant that you're coming to this decision tho, and the fact that you've done dental hygiene will really stand to you if you need to do personal statement/interview.

let us know if you have any more specific questions?

Advertisement