Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISSF officially bans Camo...

Options
  • 10-12-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

...and plaid, and short-shorts, and daisy dukes, and sandals, and ... well, you read the list:
    7. Prohibited clothing items for competitions and award ceremonies include blue jeans, jeans or similar trousers in non-sporting colors, camouflage clothing, sleeveless T-shirts, shorts that are too short, ragged cut-off shorts, all types of sandals, trousers with patches or holes as well as shirts or trousers with non-sporting or inappropriate messages (See Rule 6.10.1). Sporting colors should be national uniform colors. If national colors are not worn, non-sporting colors that should be avoided are camouflage, plaids, khaki, olive or brown.

This is version 3 of the ISSF Dress Code, which will apply to all competitors at ISSF-sanctioned (ie. International) events (eg. World Cups, Continental Championships, World Championships and the Olympic Games).

Have to say, I don't think I'll miss the sight of 50-year-old men in plaid daisy dukes and open-toed jesus sandals :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

I dont understand, there enforcing a dress code for shooting competitions? and by the looks of things have banned all clothing bar SUITS..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DonnchaMc wrote: »
    I dont understand, there enforcing a dress code for shooting competitions?
    At international level, yes. Competitors have been sent off the line at one or two recent matches as a result.
    National level stuff, and small-scale international level stuff is unaffected.
    and by the looks of things have banned all clothing bar SUITS..
    Well, yes. Tracksuits.
    (and official national outfit which usually means what you'd see the athletes wearing during the opening ceremonies of the Olympics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

It's the main reason I don't compete any more, I remember watching a grown man wear a pink leather jacket with belts on a par with a gimp suit.

Yet Combats not allowed?
    Let them have their Gimp suits??
    20101026_AR40winner_001-1.jpg
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It's the main reason I don't compete any more, I remember watching a grown man wear a pink leather jacket with belts on a par with a gimp suit.

Yet Combats not allowed?
    Let them have their Gimp suits??
    20101026_AR40winner_001-1.jpg
    :p

Yeah, because your combats don't protect against chronic back injuries and nerve damage.

Yeah, because your combats don't protect against chronic back injuries and nerve damage.

Neither do the suits, ergo exercises do! As an ergo trainer I could show you if you want ;)

The Jacket is to keep one rigid and restrict (reduce) movement from breathing......

It takes more disicipline to keep rigid without the aid of a Gimp Jacket :p:p

Whilst donning ones's favourite pair of DPM's ;)

• Advertisement

Neither do the suits, ergo exercises do! As an ergo trainer I could show you if you want ;)

The Jacket is to keep one rigid and restrict (reduce) movement from breathing......

It takes more disicipline to keep rigid without the aid of a Gimp Jacket :p:p

Whilst donning ones's favourite pair of DPM's ;)

Darlin', I do this stuff all day. I know what the jackets and trousers do. You can't do this stuff without it without developing chronic injuries and nerve damage. Trust the people who actually do compete and understand the gear on this. You're more than welcome to cripple yourself trying, but it's not possible and decades of investigation have taught us that. For the love of all that is remotely reasonable, stop talking about a sport you know feck all about.

Darlin', I do this stuff all day. I know what the jackets and trousers do. You can't do this stuff without it without developing chronic injuries and nerve damage. Trust the people who actually do compete and understand the gear on this. You're more than welcome to cripple yourself trying, but it's not possible and decades of investigation have taught us that. For the love of all that is remotely reasonable, stop talking about a sport you know feck all about.

I have been an Ergo assessor for 6 years my boy.
    The sport left there room when a dress code was introduced, even sparks has laughed at it, can't wear sandals?:eek::eek:

If one likes wearing the jacket, well; T'is up to the wearer :)
    If one thinks that wearing it has anything to do with posture then one is mistaken...
    If one wanted to be ergonomic; one would never cant ones wrist in under the rifle as a support, as it is an un-ergonomic position.

In fact one would not stand in a ISSF position as it goes against all ergo
    stances.

I was shooting Comp's when others were doing the Junior cert IWM, I found the rules and regs so "poncey" for lack of a better word; I ceased ;)

I am so glad, as I love my DPM's for comfort reasons if none else ;)

I have been an Ergo assessor for 6 years my boy.
    The sport left there room when a dress code was introduced, even sparks has laughed at it, can't wear sandals?:eek::eek:

If one likes wearing the jacket, well; T'is up to the wearer :)
    If one thinks that wearing it has anything to do with posture then one is mistaken...
    If one wanted to be ergonomic; one would never cant ones wrist in under the rifle as a support, as it is an un-ergonomic position.

In fact one would not stand in a ISSF position as it goes against all ergo
    stances.

I was shooting Comp's when others were doing the Junior cert IWM, I found the rules and regs so "poncey" for lack of a better word; I ceased ;)

I am so glad, as I love my DPM's for comfort reasons if none else ;)

I really don't care what you do. However, when you claim the jackets and trousers don't prevent long term health problems, you're wrong, and there are plenty of people who can tell you that. Hell, Sparks has a chunk of his leg he can't feel due to nerve damage he did from improper training without the gear. I'm not a fan of the dress code (Hate tracksuit bottoms with a passion) but the idea that it stops it being a sport? That's bloody ridiculous. It's really not up to the wearer, unless they don't intend walking through their forties, and it is absolutely crucial to avoid that. Yes, you shoot better with the gear, but its function is to prevent injury. By the way, I have nothing against recreational shooters, but when people who constantly state that they're not competition shooters try and tell people who shoot competitively all the time what their gear is for and how to do their sport properly? That pisses me off, because it's ridiculous.

I really don't care what you do. However, when you claim the jackets and trousers don't prevent long term health problems, you're wrong, and there are plenty of people who can tell you that. Hell, Sparks has a chunk of his leg he can't feel due to nerve damage he did from improper training without the gear. I'm not a fan of the dress code (Hate tracksuit bottoms with a passion) but the idea that it stops it being a sport? That's bloody ridiculous. It's really not up to the wearer, unless they don't intend walking through their forties, and it is absolutely crucial to avoid that. Yes, you shoot better with the gear, but its function is to prevent injury. By the way, I have nothing against recreational shooters, but when people who constantly state that they're not competition shooters try and tell people who shoot competitively all the time what their gear is for and how to do their sport properly? That pisses me off, because it's ridiculous.

Look.
    If someone has back problems, Spine problems, leg problems it is from posture.

As I said IWM, I used to shoot comps, on a reg basis, I lost interest as a result of all the POMP that went with it.

I am constantly asked to go FTR/F-Open as I have a reasonable shot at reasonable distances, however; having to WEAR what some lad/Lassie told me?

No way José ;)

Look.
    If someone has back problems, Spine problems, leg problems it is from posture.

As I said IWM, I used to shoot comps, on a reg basis, I lost interest as a result of all the POMP that went with it.

I am constantly asked to go FTR/F-Open as I have a reasonable shot at reasonable distances, however; having to WEAR what some lad/Lassie told me?

No way José ;)

No, it's from not having enough support in position. There's no way to stand that offers the degree of support and stability you require without loading the spinal column. This requires protective and supportive kit to avoid developing problems. If it could be done otherwise, someone would be doing it. And yet, they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am constantly asked to go FTR/F-Open as I have a reasonable shot at reasonable distances however; having to WEAR what some lad/Lassie told me?

No way José ;)

Not for FTR or F-Open you don't. No clothing requirements at all. Other than you wear some that is.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Not for FTR or F-Open you don't. No clothing requirements at all. Other than you wear some that is.

I'm glad!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If it's all under the jacket and trousers, why do they care what is worn?

And what's wrong with a good pair of jeans? I wear jeans at the office in a government building.

NTM

Firstly Tack, seriously,
    TripleFacePalm_display_image.jpg

You're seriously advising, as an 'Ergo assessor' (isn't that the guy who says whether your chair is at the right height for your monitor?) that you shouldn't need protective gear to spend up to four hours bearing an offset asymmetric load of up to 8.5kg on a spine that's experiencing torsion in three axes simultaneously?

On behalf of the portion of my right leg which I can no longer feel (an injury I'm told is permanent), I'm going to tell you this - don't go around advising people badly on stuff that they can get hurt by if they do it improperly.

As to the rest, this is the kit you wear off the firing line, not under the suit. Under the suit tends to be underarmour or some similar running baselayer. And no, I don't particularly approve of it, not because I think it's daft, but because it's part of the ISSF committee's drive to make the sport more appealing to TV and I think they're going about that drive in the wrong way.

As to those who think it's easy, if it's so easy, tell us how many medals you've won for Ireland. Until then, well, you're basicly playing the role of the guy in the corner holding up the bar after his sixth pint of the evening who's telling his imaginary friend of how he's solved all the world's political problems just by using the power of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Much stricter dress code in Golf and Cricket. You ever see the "GETUP" of some of the golfers. :D

It's the main reason I'm glad they banned plaid Kryten :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Firstly Tack, seriously,
    TripleFacePalm_display_image.jpg

You're seriously advising, as an 'Ergo assessor' (isn't that the guy who says whether your chair is at the right height for your monitor?) that you shouldn't need protective gear to spend up to four hours bearing an offset asymmetric load of up to 8.5kg on a spine that's experiencing torsion in three axes simultaneously?

On behalf of the portion of my right leg which I can no longer feel (an injury I'm told is permanent), I'm going to tell you this - don't go around advising people badly on stuff that they can get hurt by if they do it improperly.

As to the rest, this is the kit you wear off the firing line, not under the suit. Under the suit tends to be underarmour or some similar running baselayer. And no, I don't particularly approve of it, not because I think it's daft, but because it's part of the ISSF committee's drive to make the sport more appealing to TV and I think they're going about that drive in the wrong way.

As to those who think it's easy, if it's so easy, tell us how many medals you've won for Ireland. Until then, well, you're basicly playing the role of the guy in the corner holding up the bar after his sixth pint of the evening who's telling his imaginary friend of how he's solved all the world's political problems just by using the power of cheese.

Sparks my good man, STANDING FOR HOURS is poor ergo, So if you want to complain about a sore back afterwards; well don't do it!

Either that or; go to the gym, build up muscles that can easily support the weight, go on a strict diet (my friend is a sports dietitian) and do ergo stretching exercises.

Either that or go FTR or F Class and let it all hang out, Whilst wearing Jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The English CPSA have had a camo ban for quite a while now (registered events). FITASC have a strict dress code that even specifies how short your shorts can be and how long your sleeves must be etc. The ISSF isn't unique in trying to make its members look 'respectable'/TV presentable. And its not just target/clay shooting that has this sort of thing. I know some one who wasn't allowed take his peg at a driven shoot because he had forgotten his tie! Luckily he was able to borrow one in time for the 2nd drive.

Sparks my good man, STANDING FOR HOURS is poor ergo, So if you want to complain about a sore back afterwards; well don't do it!
    First of all, that's not what "ergo" means. The word has a meaning, and that ain't it.
    Secondly, it's not poor anything if done properly and with the correct equipment. Same as every sport from archery to weightlifting.
    Either that or; go to the gym, build up muscles that can easily support the weight, go on a strict diet (my friend is a sports dietitian) and do
    The best shooters in the world can't do this for as long as needed without supporting equipment. Not in ISSF, not in NRA highpower, not in pretty much any discipline.
    You don't know better than them tack.

ergo stretching exercises.

Either that or go FTR or F Class and let it all hang out, Whilst wearing Jeans!
    The only reason there's no ISSF-style jacket in class F is because it's shot from a rest. In fullbore TR, shot with slings, there is such a jacket - in fact the TR and NRA highpower jackets provide so much support that you couldn't use them in ISSF matches.

Great. We've gone from "The jacket/trousers isn't there to protect you and you should just go to the gym" to "Sure, you shouldn't even do standing anyway." Lovely. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Great. We've gone from "The jacket/trousers isn't there to protect you and you should just go to the gym" to "Sure, you shouldn't even do standing anyway." Lovely. :rolleyes:

Posture.jpg
    You been a young lad should be the guy in the middle, with a gut sticking out on the "older fellas" good posture is almost impossible, by standing for long periods without damaging the back. (especially in an alien posture developed to shoot well)

So if one wishes to shoot ISSF go to the gym, go on a diet, practice good exercises for ergo stretching and wear a silly jacket and what ever else you are allowed to wear to look respectable!

Posture.jpg
    You been a young lad should be the guy in the middle, with a gut sticking out on the "older fellas" good posture is almost impossible, by standing for long periods without damaging the back. (especially in an alien posture developed to shoot well)

So if one wishes to shoot ISSF go to the gym, go on a diet, practice good exercises for ergo stretching and wear a silly jacket and what ever else you are allowed to wear to look respectable!

Yeah, and none of that has anything to do with the question at hand, but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Back in my hippy days I used to wear an Afghan coat, Tibetan boots and a Nepalese hat for any out door shoot, I also had a big flower on the stock of my Anschutz. Maybe future leaders of the ISSF saw me and took fright! Still think it looked better than the Gimp suits :D

NRA Highpower coats:
    ultimate-hp.jpg

Looks far more like a gimp outfit to me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

This is possibly THE most boring thread in the history of boards,
    It's like a cross between 'Off The Rails' and 'Gladiator'
    :D:D:D

Hey, I find it a snoozefest when talking about other sports. To each their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

What is of concern to me is the way you state that the sport can - and does - cause permanent injuries - up to a level where not only could you be prevented from taking part but could restrict you movement in general

this is not a contact sport - it is not a sport in which you get a cardio vascular workout - in fact it is a sport in which you do your utmost to relax, lower your heartbeat and concentrate -and you can be permanently physically injured 8-(

we keep trying to show there have been no accidents in shooting - yet it seems it can happen simply by not wearing the correct clothes

And to think some people though IPSC was dangerous ...... a lot more people took part in that sport than all the ISSF ones combined and yet nobody has any permanent physical injuries

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    What is of concern to me is the way you state that the sport can - and does - cause permanent injuries - up to a level where not only could you be prevented from taking part but could restrict you movement in general
    It should concern you.
    Of course, if you were honestly commenting instead of taking the mickey, you'd have added in the words
    if you do it without the correct equipment
    in there. Any and every sport, from rugby to golf to archery to any form of shooting, has the capacity to cause chronic injury if done incorrectly or without the correct equipment.
    we keep trying to show there have been no accidents in shooting
    (Firstly, who's we paleface?) Secondly, it's not something we need to show - there haven't been any injuries during formal target shooting (ie. not two lads shooting cans off a ditch in the middle of nowhere) since records began back in the late 1800s.

Thirdly, get your terminology correct. Accidents lead to traumatic injuries, incorrect practise over the long term leads to chronic injuries. It took literally months for me to pick up my injuries - and if I'd had proper coaching at the time, I wouldn't have gotten them. In fact, because I sought medical advice after the second one (I began losing sensation in a finger), the second was reversible and progress on the first was halted.

Which is one reason why I (and others like Matt and Geoff and Ray) have put so much time into helping the NTSA set up formal training for coaches and why we pushed for those shooting with our equipment to get that training even when they're not in the NTSA (like the Pony Club people and others).
    And to think some people though IPSC was dangerous ...... a lot more people took part in that sport than all the ISSF ones combined and yet nobody has any permanent physical injuries
    1. I don't know any ISSF shooter who goes after IPSC the way you (and a few others) go after ISSF. I really don't. Why you insist on doing so when the IPSA (and now the ITF) get on so well with the NTSA I just don't know. We don't go after you, we don't make snide comments all the time, we don't try getting the boot in just to get the boot in, and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot as a result.
    2. On your actual claim, the IPSC did not have, and has never had, more people than all the ISSF sports combined. Nor has that been the case on the national level here you're talking about the NTSA & ICPSA and the IPSA. Yes, IPSA had more shooters than ISSF pistol alone did, because the NTSA counseled its members to wait for the legislation to settle down before investing money in new equipment. So there IPSA had about a hundred members more than the NTSA did. But when you add in NTSA rifle shooters, IPSA is already a thousand shooters behind; and when you add in the ICPSA shotgun shooters? Forget about it. IPSA's a fun sport, and should never have been banned (and as shooters we've been saying that for ever), but gain some perspective B'man. The fact was and remains that while it's fast-growing, it's not as big as the established pistol shooting sports that precede it (like bullseye pistol in the US and ISSF pistol everywhere else), and it's not as fast-growing as other pistol shooting sports that have come after it. And there's nothing wrong with any of that. It's not an argument to ban it, it's not even an argument against it; it's just how it is.

Frankly, how you can call for solidarity amongst all shooters one minute, then turn to get the boot into another shooting sport (one that acted in your best interests not too long ago) the next minute, I don't know. And how you're not laughed out of it by the general shooting community when you do so escapes me completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Steady on there cochise.

Why do you always assume I am attacking something? When I'm not.

I am simply surprised.

I have shot (informally) both ISSF and normal prone rifle and did both with and without the jackets. I was always of the impression they were simply to make it easier to do, not to protect you from it.

I found both of them to be quite uncomfortable without the gear - I found the clothes did make it easier as once you were strapped onto the gun it made it easier to focus on the shooting. I found the sporting rifle much more difficult and more of a strain on the neck, togs or not.

I've never shot 3P but I have shot a fair bit of Gallery rifle (Smallbore and Centrefire) which involves shooting from the shoulder for upwards of an hour in four different positions and never felt the worse for it except being tired afterwards.

I've shot Shotgun for a few hours on occasion aswell and never felt the worse for it (unless I didn't keep my cheek down and got a smack for my trouble)

I've shot WA1500 (In fairness only for the last couple of years) which involves shooting for an hour or more in four different positions.

(In fact I have on a few occassions shot all of the above on the same day back to back)

I've also shot IPSC for a good few years - it is more akin to sprint sports - where you spend an hour keying yourself up for a few seconds activity and then have another hour to wind down and get keyed up for the next one. I have spent a good 20ish hours on my feet over two days (admittedly only shooting for a couple minutes in all of that time) and never felt the worse for it bar feeling a bit tired

This is the first time I had heard of someone getting injured while target shooting from simply not doing it properly (Bar the occasional bruised shoulder when shooting clays but that generally only happens the once)

No taking the mickey - just quite surprised that it happens.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Bananaman wrote: »
    Why do you always assume I am attacking something?
    Experience of your tone, choice of words, choice of subject and choice of approach to criticism, both here and off-boards.
    I am simply surprised.
    That a sport where everyone gets a good giggle out of the safety kit actually has safety kit that you have to use?
    You might as well act surprised that centerfire pistol shooters wear protective glasses lest they get injured, or that firearms are loud.
    I was always of the impression they were simply to make it easier to do, not to protect you from it.
    I guess you missed the many, many comments on the purpose of the jacket that have been up here over the last six years and which are cited in every book that mentions them.
    I've never shot 3P but I have shot a fair bit of Gallery rifle (Smallbore and Centrefire) which involves shooting from the shoulder for upwards of an hour in four different positions and never felt the worse for it except being tired afterwards.
    Much lighter rifle, much lower demands on the position, far less time in position. Which is, AFAIK, true of everything -- no other discipline I know of, with the possible exception of Palma/NRA highpower/fullbore TR shooting, which have the same risk factor for chronic injuries and use similar safety kit as a result - sees you shooting as heavy a rifle as ISSF does without rests or stands or external support of some kind, for as long as ISSF disciplines require.
    This is the first time I had heard of someone getting injured while target shooting from simply not doing it properly
    The only way to be injured in any form of shooting is not doing it properly one way or another.
    No taking the mickey - just quite surprised that it happens.
    I don't believe that, you've been around too long in an environment where the information is pushed out at people for you to not know this, unless you really don't pay any attention at all - in which case, you really shouldn't be criticising anything because you won't know enough about anything to differentiate between criticisim and mudslinging.

Advertisement