Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISSF officially bans Camo...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Sparks wrote: »
    ..... that centerfire pistol shooters wear protective glasses lest they get injured .....

Everyone on a range - regardless of the type or calibre of firearms being used - should wear protective glasses

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Lads, I'm starting to loose the feeling in not just one leg but in my entire body reading this!

And I can slowly feel my will to live slip away........

boredcow.jpg

This has not be one of the dreariest and boring threads yet.

I had an actual question about the new "dress code" but I don't think I'll bother...........

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bananaman wrote: »
    we keep trying to show there have been no accidents in shooting - yet it seems it can happen simply by not wearing the correct clothes

And to think some people though IPSC was dangerous ...... a lot more people took part in that sport than all the ISSF ones combined and yet nobody has any permanent physical injuries

Hmmmmm. I would like to complain about the current class of shooter that appear on ranges such as the attached photo illustrates. Without doubt it is a health and safety issue. That shooter clearly indicates both inappropriate clothing, a poor dress sense and- from an ergonomic viewpoint - is more than physically challenged due to posture compensation. Tack no doubt would have some expert idea on how to correct that posture (meself, I would like to move it to horizontal.:))
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

dCorbus wrote: »
    I had an actual question about the new "dress code" but I don't think I'll bother...........
    Please Bhudda ask the question, before someone either dies from boredom or from having too much urine extracted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Well, obiwan, my question is.......

From what I'm reading of the "dress code" (bloody stupid TBH and do these great ones in geneva or wherever it is they live not have a life to lead, but I digest....) - It would appear that chinos, dockers, and any tan or khaki or beige trousers are also a no-no (under the non-blue jean and inappropriate colour rule FFS)?

This is only for the award ceremony at international issf events i presume?....If so, not something I need to worry about just yet.

On another note: How on earth do they think this will make "the sport" more "TV-Friendly"? Hmmmmmm......Earth to Planet ISSF....Earth to Planet ISSF......

If they want to see shooters with firearms wearing tracksuits and sports wear, they just need to take a drive around my area on any given evening......:D:rolleyes:

You won't get me into a tracksuit to shoot, that's for sure. Hate the f88king yokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

dCorbus wrote: »
    Well, obiwan, my question is.......

From what I'm reading of the "dress code" (bloody stupid TBH and do these great ones in geneva or wherever it is they live not have a life to lead, but I digest....) - It would appear that chinos, dockers, and any tan or khaki or beige trousers are also a no-no (under the non-blue jean and inappropriate colour rule FFS)?

This is only for the award ceremony at international issf events i presume?....If so, not something I need to worry about just yet.

On another note: How on earth do they think this will make "the sport" more "TV-Friendly"? Hmmmmmm......Earth to Planet ISSF....Earth to Planet ISSF......

If they want to see shooters with firearms wearing tracksuits and sports wear, they just need to take a drive around my area on any given evening......:D:rolleyes:

You won't get me into a tracksuit to shoot, that's for sure. Hate the f88king yokes.

It's to make it look more like an athletic sport, and you're right, it's bloody stupid (and I also hate tracksuits) but if you want to go, you have to wear them. It seems to be they're mandatory on the range as well, while wearing team kit.

Yeah, it's basicly for any time spent on the range at an international match where you're not in your shooting kit (and for pistol shooters, that basicly means all the time because they generally shoot in tracksuits and the like).

The idea was to 'smarten up' the ranges for the TV pictures.
    The problem is that there aren't any TV pictures because the TV wants something that we're not giving them right now (but probably could if we wanted to by adopting more new technology like RIKA machines with all the sensors and the like).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

A similar topic pops up every now and again with regards to clay shooting and appropriate dress and it always ends , well with a difference of opinion, I must say that my view of dress code is simple, where whats comfortable and appropriate and then its down to the individual associations or club grounds, maybe there is a snobbery but you can see the sense behind it.

As for the "Flash Gordan suits" in previous posts, well whats the difference between wearing that kind of gear and what some trap shooters wear. On the Ergo stuff, my Physio (2 prolapsed discs) who knows I shoot a lot says the footwear is key and ensuring good posture, making sure you don't damage your shoulder/back by proper mount/fitting and soft kicking firearm.

I hate clay layouts with uneven ground

I think there are really only two important bits about this particular rule from a shooter's point of view;
    1. It only applies to international matches, not national ones; so it only affects a few people, and they're well-briefed anyway. There are logistical problems for them (ever seen the excess baggage costs for an ISSF rifle trip? They tend to come out at several times the cost of the flights) and laundry ones when you get to where you're going; but those are solvable by chucking money at them (which isn't to say they're trivial, just to say they're solvable - if you can fix it with money, there's usually at least one other way to fix it); and
    2. It shows that ISSF's thinking on the future of the sport could use some work and some new ideas. Which again, is fixable - but it'd help if folk tried things and sent in ideas and so on.

Those were the originally intended points for the thread, at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 canttakeajoke

This kind of thing happens when academic people start analysing shooting sports. It gets labelled as safety so shooters feel obliged to take it seriously. They way ranges are getting more critical for licencing I can see this kind of thing spreading

• Advertisement

What are you on about? This has nothing to do with safety, or even with sport - it's about NBC and advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 canttakeajoke

Sparks wrote: »
    What are you on about? This has nothing to do with safety, or even with sport - it's about NBC and advertising.
    It certainly is, but when people ask about rules in shooting its always put down to "safety". These new "rules" wont be defended on the grounds of advertisers interests.

Bull. There's never been any reason other than increasing appeal to TV audiences put forward for these rules by ISSF, nor for the rules on blinders, nor a few others. The disagreement felt towards these by some ISSF shooters has to do with disagreements over how best to bring in audiences. At no point has safety ever been mentioned in connection with the dress code rules.

Advertisement