Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to find strong beer?

• 10-12-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi,
    I noticed that here in the Republic it's difficult to find beers with more thant 4-5% of alcohol. Lidl had some Leffe, which is 7%, but that's it. In my "drinking career" I tried over a hundred different beers (I used to collect the bottles as a memory), but most of them seem to be unavailable here, how comes?
    I'd love to have one or more of Bjorn (7%), Dragoon (10%, one of my personal favourites), Gordon's (10%), Bonne Esperance (7.8%), Trompe La Morte (8%), Biere Du Demon (12%), Huit Cilindres, and so on. Even a simple Ceres would do, sometimes. I remember the strongest I ever tried, it's called Belzebuth: 13%, no wonder it's sold in 25cl bottles! :D

Suggestions on where to find them are more than welcome, thanks! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I got brewdog's toyko recently in harvest (galway off licence chain). There are plenty of offies around the country that do nice/odd beers that will have strong beers if that's what you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I've never had a problem in Dublin, good offies like Redmonds in Ranalagh sell the likes of Gulden Draak (10.5%), Delirium Nocturnum (9%) and loads of other strong ones, you can also buy strong beers like Rochefort 10 (11.3%) and other strong beers in Porterhouse bars, also The Bull and Castles sells Samichlaus (14%) plus loads of places have Chimays (6 - 9%), apart from the rare occasion, around 7% is the max I like to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Thanks Technocentral, I'll have a look. I tried the Samichlaus, I really don't like it. Chimay is better, I like the big bottles with the cork. :)
    I should probably start importing some from my area, some years ago a brewery started producing abbey beer and it became such a huge success that now you need to book a table in their pub if you want to taste it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Qwert1

If you're in cork try Abbot's Alehouse on Devonshire St. Great little offie that has a great selection of strong foreign beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Thanks Qwert1. I'm from Co. Wicklow, but I'll take note of all these places. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

daigo75 wrote: »
    Thanks Qwert1. I'm from Co. Wicklow, but I'll take note of all these places. :D

head to Hollands in Bray. they have a great range of beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've seen both Gordon's Finest Gold and Belzebuth in DrinkStore in Dublin not that long ago. They deliver nationwide.

Advertisement