Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - Oranmore

Options
  • 10-12-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

We lost our water yesterday and thought it was just a frozen pipe but its still out. anyone know if the water has been turned off in oranmore? if so when will it be back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

In Oranhill it was the same Tue-Wed-Thu in the morning and partly in the evening, today it was back magically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

its back thank f*ck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

County council are turning off water periodically in maree and oranmore for the past few days as the reservoir is really low in carnmore. It's on councils twitter page.

http://twitter.com/GalwayCoCo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Many of the pipes down west are too near the surface to be safe from the frosts we are getting these past few years. time to get the pipes going into your house dowm at least 2 feet or more. Also need better insulations on pipes and tanks.....

Just wondering if anyone on here is from oranhill? and if they know where the stopcocks are on the footpath for each house. I can't find them at all and there's a load of houses without water. By the way, does defrosting a stopcock give you a reasonably good chance of getting water into the house again, pipes are buried 4ft everywhere else but obviously not at stopcock if one exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭lukeeman

Some times the stopcock can be to the back of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

yer man! wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone on here is from oranhill? and if they know where the stopcocks are on the footpath for each house. I can't find them at all and there's a load of houses without water. By the way, does defrosting a stopcock give you a reasonably good chance of getting water into the house again, pipes are buried 4ft everywhere else but obviously not at stopcock if one exists.

One of my neighbours had one of the little blow heaters blowing hot air over the stopcock for a few hours and that got this water back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We lived in oranclose estate in oranhill last year and were three weeks without water. Out stopcock was in the footpath at the front of the house. It was about a footdown and was solid ice.

What we done was drill holes in the ice and then put boiling water in on it. When that cooled a bit we scooped it out and then more drilling and water. Took a few hours until it was clear. By the following afternoon we had water.

Our water is gone this year in a different house but stopcock isn't frozen so don't know what to do.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    We lived in oranclose estate in oranhill last year and were three weeks without water. Out stopcock was in the footpath at the front of the house. It was about a footdown and was solid ice.

What we done was drill holes in the ice and then put boiling water in on it. When that cooled a bit we scooped it out and then more drilling and water. Took a few hours until it was clear. By the following afternoon we had water.

Our water is gone this year in a different house but stopcock isn't frozen so don't know what to do.

Oh god sorry to hear that, and thanks for the instructions on the stopcock location i'm gonna try find it later, i lost the plans to the estate, it had the exact location of every valve running into the house, stupid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

My water supply went as well. My solution was to get 60 metres of garden hose and connect it in at the meter and bring the line over ground and connect it to the water pipe just going into the house. Works brilliantly. We just leave the tap running slightly and it doesn't freeze. It was at least minus 11 or minus 12 here last night and it didn't freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jaheira

Oranbay/Oranhill - water gone this afternoon :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gday

When we came home to beechgrove oranmore at 7pm yesterday, we had no water. It's almost midday and we're still without it. Anyone know what's going on? I heard a whisper the pump at carnmore might be out of order. Anybody know anything?...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Gone in Oakfield,we had no problems at all until today

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gone in Oakfield,we had no problems at all until today

Council Website, www.galway.ie mentions nothing wrong in Oranmore bar a standpipe location in Oranhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I'm the same, got back to Oranhill a couple of hours ago and no cold water downstairs - any updates on this, nothing on the GCC website :confused:

It's very odd - one side of the road is OK but the other has none, complicated by the fact that some houses had frozen pipes (somewhere) before today.

I completely defrosted the stopcock outside my house in orancourt today, but no luck, everyone else's is out too. I'm just wondering is it a mains problem or is it simply frozen pipes under the drive leading into the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gday

Just heard there's a mains burst in Maree. Goodness knows how long it will take to fix. I'm over it now.....

Gday wrote: »
    Just heard there's a mains burst in Maree. Goodness knows how long it will take to fix. I'm over it now.....
    Oh jesus it'll be at least another 2 days before water is restored if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Just got back to the apartment in Renmore and no water here either! :mad:

• Advertisement

Any updates on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Grealy's will continue to have a field day then:D

I suspect it's just frozen.

I opened where the stop cock is outside, I was surprised to find lumps of ice in it still.

I poured several kettles of boiling water in but I think it was a waste of time & water

Ours is back, maybe the kettles helped :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

just found and opened stopcock outside the house. found lump of ice around it too. will give it the kettle treatment and let you know if it works.

Good luck with it, it took a good while before anything happened, at least an hour and a half. Turn on your kitchen cold tap too

Anyone else in Oranhill still out? I attempted to find the stopcock outside but only succeeded in pulling the cover on what looked like a drain :rolleyes: It was the only un-identified cover among all the eircom and esb ones but no joy!

It will look something like the ones pictured on this page - quite small

http://www.stopcockcosy.com/buynow/index.htm

It will look something like the ones pictured on this page - quite small

http://www.stopcockcosy.com/buynow/index.htm

That's about 3 times the size of what i dug up :D There are at least 4 little ones like that round the back so how do i know which is the right one :confused:

• Advertisement

Might have Water or Uisce written on it....and a square 'bolt' sticking up

Advertisement