Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water - Oranmore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Might have Water or Uisce written on it....and a square 'bolt' sticking up

Thanks Crowdedhouse, all of them have water written on it!! It's a block of duplex apts with ground floor apts downstairs. I've dug up the two closed to my place and both frozen, one has thawed with hot water, the other needs another kettle - fingers crossed i'm actually thawing my own and not the neighbours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Hennybug wrote: »
    Anyone else in Oranhill still out? I attempted to find the stopcock outside but only succeeded in pulling the cover on what looked like a drain :rolleyes: It was the only un-identified cover among all the eircom and esb ones but no joy!

If you are in oranhill you will have two stopcocks outside your house. One being a traditional stopcock with a metal cab the second will be a plastic cab with water written on it. This is your water meter box.

The issue with Oranhill is not at the stopcock as if you remove the head to where your water meter would be attached water will bubble though. (ensure your on\off value is not frozen before doing this) I did 3 houses in oranhill and all issue are on the runs from the mains into the house.

One possible way is to clear out the press under the sink and leave the press door open as the pipe is freezing here, got 2 back by placeing small blow heaters in the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Does anyone in oranhill, orancourt or maree road area have water yet? there's no info from county council at all and i see galway coco vans driving around the place lifting manholes, but still no water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I'm in the OH's home house for Christmas. We're down around the Mweloon area in Maree itself. No mains water this morning but it came back around 11am, but at very reduced pressure(i.e. the dishwasher couldn't be run). Getting really sick of it at this stage. I can appreciate that the council are doing what they can but this sporadic turning off of water with no updates is very frustrating; they could at least keep something up on their twitter page.

That said, if there's anybody in Maree stuck for water please pm me; we don't have much pressure, but we do have water and it might be of use to somebody:)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

yer man! wrote: »
    Does anyone in oranhill, orancourt or maree road area have water yet? there's no info from county council at all and i see galway coco vans driving around the place lifting manholes, but still no water.

Yeah, i'm in Oranhill and after 2 days pouring boiling water on the frozen stopcock (thanks for all the advice CrowdedHouse!) it sorted out mine and the neighbours and we got it back about an hour ago. After being without since the 26th i'm going to have the longest, hottest shower :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Had no water for a week now and just found out that the neighbours who have been great suppling us with water have just lost theirs.:mad: Cloch Og on the bog road btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gazza72

It seems that water is off in EVERY house in Clochog at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

Saw a plumber in the last few minutes working on one of the Dormers at the front of Clochóg. He might have the whole lot knocked off. There is a burst pipe next door in Lismore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 delboy1986

No plumber at that house in cloch og now and still no water.

Loads of water running out of a manhole in lisroe tho

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

give SAM PELLOW a call, he is a brill plumber, he lives down the left of irish school, near where ye are. he must be flat out like all plumbers are. water is turned down or turned off to allow pipes to get fixed. as for when water will be back is like asking how long is a piece of string.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gday

My parents place in Beechgrove came back at about 11.30om last night. I just played the waiting game -,I didn't see the updates here in the previous 24 hours. Our neighbors came back at lunchtime so it appears to be on a house by house basis...

Having spent the past days living like it's the 1900s, I leave today to go home. Great that it's sorted as my elderly parents just would not have been able to help. Shame that I didn't get to spend more time with them enjoying ourselves instead of worrying about water.

Thanks to all for your input. Melbourne here I come...!

Major leak on the bog road is the reason for outages around Oranmore. Water back fully on orancourt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 drongal

Hello

Is there anyone (except me:-)) who has water problem in Riverdale area since this morning (night)?

Thanks
    drongal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hi Guys. Hope your water has come back.

Mine still hasn't :( Is this unusual??

It didn't freeze until the last cold nite here, the night before Christmas Eve.

I think it's a problem is outside. The problem is further complicated by it being an apartment block. My nearest neighbour has water back last tow days. There are two valves outside on tarmac wil SV written beside them, I lifted the small iron cover, but there doesn't seem to be ice around them...:confused:

Muckit wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Hope your water has come back.

Mine still hasn't :( Is this unusual??

It didn't freeze until the last cold nite here, the night before Christmas Eve.

I think it's a problem is outside. The problem is further complicated by it being an apartment block. My nearest neighbour has water back last tow days. There are two valves outside on tarmac wil SV written beside them, I lifted the small iron cover, but there doesn't seem to be ice around them...:confused:
    Make sure nobody has accidentally turned yours off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My neighbours only came back this morning. There has been rumours going around that all the water will be off to fix a big leak.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

my mother in-laws house in oranvale is flooded the poor woman, its a new house. her water was of for the week , she stayed with her daughter so she went to see how her house is an hour ago , she was met with a lake when she opened her front door. hubbie and son are there helping to turn of the mains to the house and to mop up. floor boards are fecked , ceiling is fecked. my heart goes out to her, she is 83. so watch out guys when water does come .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Every water scheme out in Connemara now has restrictions.

Many of the leaks are inside holiday homes that were not heated during the cold snap. If people do not avail of the current benign weather to heat and aggressively dry these holiday homes out they will be permanently destroyed.

If you have elderly relatives then please try to get into their attics and lag the pipes and tanks in case of pipes freezing.

I was onto the County Council this morning in relation to why Clochog had no water for the past 1.5 days, but he didn't know why it should be off? Weird? Anyone in Clochog have any water back on at all yet, if not, then it's time to call 091-476401 and report it so that they'll come out here to see why it's turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

water back in cloch og:D but only until 1:mad:.

• Advertisement

Yep, I've been talking to the County Council lads. They have it on for a while to try and find out where all the leaks are, but then they have to turn it off again. At least we have an answer as to why it's off. There's a few major leaks around Clochog, had to turn off one house as noticed that it has a burst pipe in the attic and there's no-one at home. Also, a car is blocking the water meter at an other house which has a burst pipe. It'll be a while before they get them all fixed, waiting for people to return from holidays etc. If they manage to put it on for even an hour a day would help fill the tanks anyway. It seems Frenchfort is the biggest offender for leaks. Usually you would have around 1 litre per second going through the estate, but at the moment it's 13 litres per second, even up to 16 litres per second at one stage.

I'm getting really tired of the water situation, really wish the council could be a bit better about their updates, I realise they are working hard, and doing what they can, but it's very frustrating either having no water at all, or the water being turned on and off throughout the day, or being turned on with zero pressure so the hot water tank won't fill, and all the while not being informed at all as to what's going on. I don't mean to grumble, but we're starting to get a bit sick of the whole thing;we'd like proper showers/washing machine/dishwasher use soon please, thanks:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The County Council has said that water will be turned off on all county supplies from 9pm to 9am each night until reservoirs build up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

The County Council need their asses kicked regarding their communications. The people are not been informed enough. If they turn off water to an area they should post it on their website with a lead time of when it will be back on or at least a lead time of the next status update. I know it might mean the already busy workers on the road ringing the office but it would be something for Joe Public to rely on.

snubbleste wrote: »
    The County Council has said that water will be turned off on all county supplies from 9pm to 9am each night until reservoirs build up again.

That's completely understandable, but loads of people are having their water shut off during the day aswell, and we're not being told anything about it. Galway Coco could work on their communication skills methinks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Got my water back yesterday in Oranhill thanks to a very helpful neighbor - poured hot water on a frozen solid stop-cock outside the house - water back within 15 mins, nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

Th Council have cut off the water to Clochog because of all the burst pipes. I saw these burst myself in the last hour. The water has been turned on this morning by Coffeys who are going round identifying these leaks. They will have to turn the water off again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

This thread should be in Galway County fourm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 macawalla

anyone have any update on the water in cloch og

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

macawalla wrote: »
    anyone have any update on the water in cloch og

http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/WaterServices/PublicNoticesandBoilWaterNotices/Boil%20Water%20Notice%20update%20Dec%202010.pdf

Scroll down to Oranmore... Cloch Og is mentioned

Advertisement