Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing my sister who has a disability to the O2

Options
  • 10-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi,
    My sister is a big Westlife fan and I would love to be able to take her. Thing is, she uses a wheelchair and has epilepsy. She also needs to be accompanied.

So:
    1. If I can get an "accessible seat" for her, how does that work for me as her companion? Do I book a standing tkt for myself and an accessible seat for her?
    2. we would need car park. Again, is that a separate thing altogether or does an accessible seat entitle us to also get a carpark ticket? (Wishful thinking, i S'pose)
    3. As she has epilepsy, how can I find out about whether the lighting in theshow might affect her or not in the show? Is that a query for the venue? I rem previously trying to contact the promoters for previous concerts and getting nowhere. I also haved contacted Brainwave for advice about this before but they couldn't advise as each show would be different. (I think it was they who suggested I contact the promoter at the time). I ended giving up on my previous efforts in the end but this time as WL are back in town again in April, I'm trying again to get advice. I would really love to be able to take her.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kate253 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My sister is a big Westlife fan and I would love to be able to take her. Thing is, she uses a wheelchair and has epilepsy. She also needs to be accompanied.

So:
    1. If I can get an "accessible seat" for her, how does that work for me as her companion? Do I book a standing tkt for myself and an accessible seat for her?
    2. we would need car park. Again, is that a separate thing altogether or does an accessible seat entitle us to also get a carpark ticket? (Wishful thinking, i S'pose)
    3. As she has epilepsy, how can I find out about whether the lighting in theshow might affect her or not in the show? Is that a query for the venue? I rem previously trying to contact the promoters for previous concerts and getting nowhere. I also haved contacted Brainwave for advice about this before but they couldn't advise as each show would be different. (I think it was they who suggested I contact the promoter at the time). I ended giving up on my previous efforts in the end but this time as WL are back in town again in April, I'm trying again to get advice. I would really love to be able to take her.
    Thanks.

http://www.theo2.ie/faq/

http://www.theo2.ie/contact-us/

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/search?tm_link=tm_homeA_header_search&q=Westlife&search.x=0&search.y=0

Hope these links help. What usually happens is, if you buy an accessible seating ticket, you should be able to buy an assistant ticket at the same time(but you will have to pay for both). Also, I have only been there once. The accessible seating is in the entire middle row of the tiered seating. There are lifts in the venue now. There should be someone assigned to help you when you arrive?

I will warn you that if/when the punters in front of you and your sister stand up, her view could well be obstructed?

As far as I know, there is no parking allowed on the venue grounds? This may have changed since I was last there? I had to get a taxi, and we had to get out at the main gate.

Hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kate253

Thanks for the help. However, I thought the whole point of accessible seating was that wheelchair users could see so if there are other punters seated in front who can stand up, that sounds a bit crap. i've been to some shows where there was a platform that appeared to be solely for wchair users. Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Thanks for the help. However, I thought the whole point of accessible seating was that wheelchair users could see so if there are other punters seated in front who can stand up, that sounds a bit crap. i've been to some shows where there was a platform that appeared to be solely for wchair users. Hmmm....

I guess they are trying to strike a balance between an integrated approach, show w/c users are integrated with all other punters, and meeting the particular needs of w/c users. They've done a great job of this at the new Landsdowne Road, where raised platforms for w/c users are scattered throughout the ground, as part of many of the seated sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Hi Kate,

You're welcome. It is a little crap, but it's a lot better than the arrangement that used to be in place in the old Point venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, I've attended the O² several times with my w/c dependant sons and in answer to your questions;
    1)Certain promoters offer a free ticket to a person accompanying a disabled person to the concert. You have to contact the Point ticket-office directly for this. It canot be done online
    2)On the epilepsy front....that would have to be entirely at your own risk, I imagine. I cannot see the promoters agreeing to accept this responsibility in any shape or form.
    3)Parking is a no-no. Park close to a Luas station and take the train. It stops right beside the main entrance.
    Enjoy.
    3)

• Advertisement
Advertisement