Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Effect 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I can sympathise with staff not being all sunshine and roses I'm afraid. GAME is on its last legs - i.e. the employees won't have jobs soon and still have bills to pay. Yes, ideally they should be polite and helpful but it's quite likely that they don't know anything and are fearing the worst. GAME doesn't need loyalty at the moment - it needs a buyer.

A strange move to cancel one of the biggest games of the year though. And unfortunately for them (but luckily for gamers) the Collector's Edition is available elsewhere.

Gamestop have already offered to buy them out in the UK and Spain (Possibly Ireland too). I don't think that will do any good for healthy competition. I find Gamestop incredibly overpriced for everything and even most of their pre-owned stuff is a laughable price. I seen pre-owned stuff in there 5-10 quid more expensive than new across in HMV and even more than Amazon etc.

So if Game disappear with Gamestop buying them up then it's just HMV (Who are also in financial trouble) and maybe 1 or 2 other places people can walk into to buy their games besides supermarkets. I find it odd that Gamestop offered to buy game considering they just closed all their shops in Britain and Northern Ireland but there you go.

I hope Game aren't considering selling up as I prefer them leaps and bounds over Gamestop and consider them on par with HMV on the most part. Only thing is Publishers will be only too happy to bury them because of how much they hate second hand sales and Game abused that to high heaven. I can't imagine Gamestop would be in much better shape in that regard were they to get in financial trouble.

It will be a sad day when we have little or no options for places to walk into to buy our games. I only order back catalog games online that the B&M stores don't stock new anymore. I'd always prefer to shop in real shops than online where I can help it.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Have always had iffy-to-terrible interactions with GAME staff myself.

When I was buying a PS3 back in the day, I asked the sales assistant if the model I was looking at was backwards compatible.

He asked me what backwards compatible meant.

Gamestop for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Just called Dundrum, guy sounded like he'd been fielding the call a lot. Fiver refund plus fiver credit is not too bad, and I've preordered my N7 edition from gamestop. Now it'll be delivered!

Time to preorder from Game.Stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 airgilbert

does anywhere still have the ce for preorder on pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

some interesting news about how rep, paragon and renegade will work in ME3..
    http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/01/reputation-in-mass-effect-3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya, read that a while ago, was wondering about the rep system, seems a lot better than the last 2 games, especially not having to be full renegade or full paragon to see the high end speech options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It looks like now the choices you make will be made from what you what to do not from what style you are playing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Man, I want this gun. Full size replica of the M-8 Avenger Assault Rifle! and it's only 650 dorrars :eek:

http://biowarestore.com/mass-effect/mass-effect-accessories/m8-avenger-assault-rifle-replica

etc-replica-fullsizem8rifle-full.jpg

Meh, no DLC, not worth it.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

There is, you just have to pay for the Collector's Edition of the rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Yea, Preordered the Collectors Edition from GameStop in Clare Hall yesterday.

Was surprised to get the CE edtition with only a week to go, a lot of websites had them lsited as sold out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Pre ordered collectors ed in hmv today, 80 quid instead if the 90 gamestop quoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GrafenPills

Goodbye to GAME so.

First they lose their credit, then they can only sell certain new titles now.
    I expect all retail units shut down in 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I would say that Game repeatedly and frequently (I literally mean once every two weeks) changing their store layout is one of the many, many reasons I don't shop there.

Gamestop just posted this on their FB

428996_10151335235570062_273761945061_22553800_378886709_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wish they'd let us have them now or do a world wide release on the 6th instead of waiting another week, the backstards.

maybe they will now that GAME wont be stocking it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Didn't Game have a retailer exclusive for the CE of the game? I'd imagine if that distrubution deal fell though then their allotment would have been opened to the rest of the stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

airgilbert wrote: »
    does anywhere still have the ce for preorder on pc?

This.

• Advertisement

Epic trailer. I guess Ash is the canon ride :pac:

more news..

origin preorders can preload right now.
    Also, and this is directly from my preorder mail from Origin,
    Product Name: Mass Effect™ 3
    Release Date: 08 March 2012

I'm guessing midnight for digital downloads if that's not a typo.
    YEY! No sleeping on thursday! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dat fleet battle!!

Hurry up next week, I have money ear-marked for food thats now not going on food :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

gizmo wrote: »
    Didn't Game have a retailer exclusive for the CE of the game? I'd imagine if that distrubution deal fell though then their allotment would have been opened to the rest of the stores.

That's exactly what did happen, HMV are now stocking the CE :)

79.99 for those interested.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Dat fleet battle!! :eek:

Hurry up next week, I have money ear-marked for food thats now not going on food :D

Ya Bioware musta been listening to people going crazy for the fleet battles in ME 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

God damn it i can't wait any longer! i'm expecting nothing less than top quality story with the ending of this story arc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Grrrrrrrr.... it's just hit me that I now have to make the choice... do I play ME3 with my old saves, but not ever be able to go online with it due to having lost access to my XBL account... or do I start all over with a new Shepard tonight and try and get through ME1 and 2 in the next few days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭psugrue

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrr.... it's just hit me that I now have to make the choice... do I play ME3 with my old saves, but not ever be able to go online with it due to having lost access to my XBL account... or do I start all over with a new Shepard tonight and try and get through ME1 and 2 in the next few days. :(

that depends whether u got the time or not. personally if it was me and i had the time i would definitively be re playing both games, stupid work is getting in the way of that lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

So do the pre-rendered scenes not look awful then?

That was one of the few things that disappointed me about ME2.

It's going to be utterly spectacular.

• Advertisement

psugrue wrote: »
    that depends whether u got the time or not. personally if it was me and i had the time i would definitively be re playing both games, stupid work is getting in the way of that lol.

I think I'll just play with my old Shepard, emotional attachment and all that jazz. Assignments and projects mean I'd only barely scratch the surface of ME1 this week.

<nerdgasm>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I think I'll just play with my old Shepard, emotional attachment and all that jazz. Assignments and projects mean I'd only barely scratch the surface of ME1 this week.
    The Assignments in ME1 are a grind at some point it becomes a 9-5 job. You can't do them all if you have projects due next week in hopes to have a Shepard for Friday
    I love mass effect but I have a pain in my stomach thinking about ME1. I have nothing to do next week might do a bitch Shepard run

Evil Elevators and Evil Elevator Music in ME1, thats the only reason i wont replay it. Sad i know :)

Evil Elevators and Evil Elevator Music in ME1, thats the only reason i wont replay it. Sad i know :)
    Jester252 wrote: »
    The Assignments in ME1 are a grind at some point it becomes a 9-5 job. You can't do them all if you have projects due next week in hopes to have a Shepard for Friday
    I love mass effect but I have a pain in my stomach thinking about ME1. I have nothing to do next week might do a bitch Shepard run

Ah I quite liked ME1 tbh! Well, except for the planetary exploration parts which were dire and just same-same-same stuff over and over.

I had wanted to play Arrival DLC for ME2 before the release, but I can't go on XBL with the account where my saves are, so I'd have to play it all again. Think I'll just do ME3 with my Shepard (he's paragon, but not totally paragon, they were actually the decisions I would make) and finish off the series like it was meant to be. Then in the summer when I've free time I'll definitely go back and do a few more playthroughs of all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Two Steps From Hell doing the music for the trailer again, they are so Epic !!
    They did the music for the second one aswell, and if you check some of their stuff out you'll notice that in the last year-2 everyone has been using their stuff,

• Advertisement

Just got my dispatch email from Shopto, ****ing love those guys. :D

Just got my dispatch email from Shopto, ****ing love those guys. :D

Aw man, did they say when you should be getting it?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Aw man, did they say when you should be getting it?
    First Class Royal Mail so given the time of the dispatch mail, I'm guessing Tuesday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That launch trailer is making me reconsider holding off for the GOTY version next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Started my ME2 playthrough tonight, a long way to go to get it done by next week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

noodler wrote: »
    That launch trailer is making me reconsider holding off for the GOTY version next year.
    im absolutely broke so ill be holding out for the inevitable price drop in first two weeks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

First Class Royal Mail so given the time of the dispatch mail, I'm guessing Tuesday. :)
    They have cheaper delivery to Australia than Ireland, what the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Robi Wan

I live in hope they are standing up to ea and their suggested price range.
    Or else theyre dead.
    Either way i'm buying mine cheapest in hmv
    Sadly the days of cheap launch days are possibly over.

Just so you know, (pc & origin)
    the official release date for us is 9th march at 00:00
    So thursday midnight! - yey!

I traded in my copy of Skyrim as a deposit towards ME3 in Game.Stop. Got €28 for it, plus a pre-order bonus of €7, so €35 for a trade-in of a game that was released in November isn't too bad.

Midnight release? Damnit, the shop I ordered from is in a shopping centre and can't have those. Pity, they can be quite fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I had wanted to play Arrival DLC for ME2 before the release

I'm going to take this as an excuse to vent and give you a friendly warning: Arrival is excrutiatingly terrible and I wish I hadn't played it.

I recently finished a replay of ME1 and ME2 in preparation for ME3 and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, probably more than the first time around as I paid much more attention to the fact that stuff is continuous between the games, and ME2's story is more fun when it's not punching you in the face with random shock punishments. So, I decided to play Arrival as a nice final episode before ME3.

***Arrival DLC Spoilers from here on in***

In a nutshell: Solo mission, linear corridors filled with repetitive enemies, one new (really boring) character with embarassingly bad voice acting, non-sensical story that adds nothing to the end of ME2 or the start of ME3, really badly written dialogue, a plot twist that make so little sense I actually just threw my hands up in the air and said "what?" out loud, forced capture (yes, Shepard ends up in a cell), escape for no reason (apparently they sedated you, but then you wake up anyway for no reason, and they're like "oh no the sedatives failed to work for some reason or something...").

Loads of cheap-ass stuff thrown in stupidly too, like a mysterious computer voice that seems to behave like an AI but is never mentioned and doesn't talk or behave like a VI (and considering the lengths they've gone to in the past to distinguish, say, Legion or EDI from Avina, is dumb). Also a hologram of Harbinger appears in the sky with no apparent source or purpose other than to exchange some incredibly pointless and awkward dialogue with Shepard. Oh, and you automatically choose to kill hundreds of thousands of people to finish the mission without any input from the player at all.

I just...I could complain about this piece of crap all day, I finished it literally twenty minutes ago - it's like a small Chinese software company inherited the Mass Effect intellectual property and then tried to make their own mission based on what they had. Before I played this I was really satisfied with the powerful and stylishly told ending in Mass Effect 2, now I'm just pissed. I have no idea what they were thinking with this.

Arrival will have a big part in me 3 im guessing, as a certain race arent too happy with you. Im glad I played arrival, just not glad I paid for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

that certain race are knobs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I just watched a video of all the cutscenes from Arrival on Youtube, kinda glad as looks like its not worth the cash. It is an odd thing, since a LOT of the start of ME3 is structured round it
    the fact Shepard has been stripped of rank is going to the Earth council as some form of disciplinary hearing at the start of ME3, or so I gathered
    and then be a DLC so not everyone will know the details of it if they crop up in ME3.

Though same could be said of Lair of the Shadow Broker
    will Liaras new position as SB ever come up, and if it does will those who didnt play it go "When did THAT happen???"

• Advertisement
Advertisement