Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Effect 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does anyone think the "wider market opportunities" may refer to wii2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

/\/ollog wrote: »

Apparently, ME will be hitting the portables (phones and handhelds)! Is this what the f*cking delay is about!!! :mad:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/05/05/battlefield-3-and-mass-effect-3-are-going-portable/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Apparently, ME will be hitting the portables (phones and handhelds)! Is this what the f*cking delay is about!!! :mad:

http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/05/05/battlefield-3-and-mass-effect-3-are-going-portable/

I thought the delay was just to allow them to increase the Awesomeness to buttonpress ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

/\/ollog wrote: »

Well, rumoured 2wii specs are equal to or slightly more powerful than the current gen, plus with the increased media storage on the game discs (equal to BluRay if memory serves), it's certainly a possiblility. However, Nintendo have moved too far from the core market with the Wii, and unless ME3 undergoes a monumental DA2 style "streamlining", I think Bioware won't see it as the best fit. Plus, how will they explain the outcomes of the previous two games? Two interactive comics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

ME3 would be some launch title but it'd be odd.ME1 is still exclusive to 360,ME2 only on PS3/360 then ME3 would be on PS3/360/Wii2.(I'm not counting PC just consoles,PC has the trilogy).Bioware should try to release a Mass Effect boxset on every platform.I'm worried about these trimming the "unnecessary" RPG elements might make this series a 3rd person Squad Shooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

I was bummed about the delay till 2012 until i heard Assassins Creed Revelations is coming out November-ish. Between that and Skyrim i am sure it will help pacify the wait until ME3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

More details from Eurogamer
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-new-mass-effect-3-details
    Here's the article..behind spoilers
    A slew of Mass Effect 3 magazine coverage has been absorbed and summarised by the internet.
    Non-spoiler information first, courtesy of NeoGAF.
    Mass Effect 3 develops melee fighting and each character class will have a special move. An Engineer will use an Omni-tool fire lash attack, for example, while an Adept will throw people back and stun them.
    In Mass Effect 2, powers were upgraded three times and customised at the top, fourth tier; did you want a wider impact zone or a more focused blast? In Mass Effect 3 a Vanguard can tweak Charge to first slam an opponent harder, then do more damage, then be used more often.
    What's more, powers can combine - a Concussive Shot can work with Cry Ammo to freeze a large area.
    In Mass Effect 2, enemies advanced on Shepard's spot of cover throughout the battle. BioWare will enhance this for Mass Effect 3, abolishing the use of a single hiding spot for each battle. And movement will be essential to tackle some of the new game's harder enemies, as Shepard manoeuvres, undetected, to a rear blind/weak spot to deliver the fatal blow.
    The opponents Cerberus will throw at Shepard include heavy troopers with enormous armour and Assassins with the same biotic capabilities as you. There are also Phantoms who wield blades.
    But, don't panic, this time Shepard can do a roly poly. Or a commando roll, whatever you want to call it. Among other new moves.
    Stop reading now to avoid story and character information.
    I mean it:
    look away.
    Your Mass Effect 3 squad will be smaller than your ME2 squad, which had 12 recruits. "We're focused on a smaller squad with deeper relationships and more interesting interplay in Mass Effect 3," Mass Effect overlord Casey Hudson explained.
    "And we're bringing everyone back - every main character is in Mass Effect 3 somewhere."
    Confirmed as Mass Effect 3 recruits are Garrus, Liara, Kaidan, Ashley and Tali (depending on if they're alive). Wrex sounds to be in the balance. Each character's equipment will be updated.
    There are apparently no new romance options in Mass Effect 3. BioWare revealed that 70 per cent of Mass Effect 2 gamers weren't loyal to their Mass Effect 1 love interest. And this will have repercussions in Mass Effect 3.
    Shepard has become an enemy of Cerberus because Shepard joined the Alliance. Why did Shepard do that? Because Cerberus is working with the Reapers. Why? We don't yet know.
    Throughout Mass Effect 3, Shepard will venture to the homeworlds the Asari, Turians, Salarians and Quarians. And, of course, Shepard will explore Earth, including a Seattle-Vancouver mega-city before and after a Reaper attack. Shepard will also explore Mars.
    Finally, the biggest spoiler.
    Stop looking.
    Shepard can pilot a 50-foot Cerberus Atlas mech. And he'll need firepower like this when fighting a 600-foot Reaper on one of the massive levels.
    The scale of Mass Effect 3, BioWare said, will dwarf not only previous Mass Effect games, but also anything Unreal Engine 3 has been used for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Well, rumoured 2wii specs are equal to or slightly more powerful than the current gen, plus with the increased media storage on the game discs (equal to BluRay if memory serves), it's certainly a possiblility. However, Nintendo have moved too far from the core market with the Wii, and unless ME3 undergoes a monumental DA2 style "streamlining", I think Bioware won't see it as the best fit. Plus, how will they explain the outcomes of the previous two games? Two interactive comics?

me2 was already monumentally "streamlined", i'd hate to see what would happen if they did it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

There are apparently no new romance options in Mass Effect 3. BioWare revealed that 70 per cent of Mass Effect 2 gamers weren't loyal to their Mass Effect 1 love interest. And this will have repercussions in Mass Effect 3.

Excellent news. Like I'd break it off with
    Miranda
    ...No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 ghouldaddy

Terrible shame about the delay. Some of the new combat features sound great.

ghouldaddy wrote: »
    Terrible shame about the delay. Some of the new combat features sound great.

Yep it is a major bummer. On the other hand though i would prefer a completely polished game rather than a pre xmas game with a **** load of new years patches!

The Portal 2 delay was for best and im sure the Deus Ex delay was necessary as well.

Fallout NV... Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha. To be honest, while generally that article has me excited, the comments about (spoiler texted for the super-sensitive)
    the romance being jettisoned make it fairly obvious Bioware are too lazy / couldn't be bothered to write the various permutations of romantic partner that may have happened because of ME1 & 2. So I'm calling it right now; whatever romantic choice you may or may not have picked over the course of this space opera, within 5 minutes of mass effect 3 your partner will arbitrarily decide to dump you, but conveniently remain a squadmate to keep the plot tidy & on we'll go into the final chapter without a backwards look. I'm disappointed because whilst this whole sub-plot was clunky & just a bit silly, it was nice to cultivate a feeling of ... attachment? towards another character. Now it's obvious that time & effort spent will be dropped for the sake of easy coding. Shame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha. To be honest, while generally that article has me excited, the comments about (spoiler texted for the super-sensitive)
    the romance being jettisoned make it fairly obvious Bioware are too lazy / couldn't be bothered to write the various permutations of romantic partner that may have happened because of ME1 & 2. So I'm calling it right now; whatever romantic choice you may or may not have picked over the course of this space opera, within 5 minutes of mass effect 3 your partner will arbitrarily decide to dump you, but conveniently remain a squadmate to keep the plot tidy & on we'll go into the final chapter without a backwards look. I'm disappointed because whilst this whole sub-plot was clunky & just a bit silly, it was nice to cultivate a feeling of ... attachment? towards another character. Now it's obvious that time & effort spent will be dropped for the sake of easy coding. Shame.

That's a pretty extreme and negative view of things. There's absolutely no real info as to what exactly the 'romance' options will be, other then the fact that there wont be any new characters to pick. I don't see how this is them being lazy. In fact, adding in new 'hot/crazy/weird' romance options would be lazier then writing a convincing return for previous possible relationships.

I trust Bioware and their design/writing, so i'll wait till we have more info before making any judgements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Well said Kiith. If anything I wouldn't see Bioware as being lazy. This is the final chapter in the ME trilogy of games and a new love interest would just balls it all up and make it even more complicated than it already is, unnecessarily too. It's complicated enough as it is, at least the way I played it.
    I certainly would like to know who the hell told Liara about Miranda. I'd take them out back and teach 'em a thing or two. Probably was Miranda herself, da siren :pac: Seems like something she'd do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Kiith wrote: »
    That's a pretty extreme and negative view of things. There's absolutely no real info as to what exactly the 'romance' options will be, other then the fact that there wont be any new characters to pick. I don't see how this is them being lazy. In fact, adding in new 'hot/crazy/weird' romance options would be lazier then writing a convincing return for previous possible relationships.

I trust Bioware and their design/writing, so i'll wait till we have more info before making any judgements.

Well it's going on form and all likelyhood: Mass Effect 2 did this already, by glossing over many of the "major" decisions in ME1 where nothing you did in that game had any real or lasting effect on how ME2 panned out (eg, whether you
    saved the council or not
    just meant a few lines of dialogue being different in ME2, everything else stayed the same otherwise. Now we have 2 games worth of decisions & permutations that the coders & scriptwriters have to cater for - I wouldn't be surprised if Bioware decide to skirt around it by ignoring them. I'm not blaming or accusing them of anything, I'll just be disappointed if it turns out to be true.

• Advertisement

If anything I wouldn't see Bioware as being lazy.

Dragon Age 2 environments say hello.

In fairness though, there are a crazy amount of permutations that they have to take into the final game, so I wouldn't be too perturbed if they cut away some of the (admittedly entertaining) chaff in order to have a great send off for the trilogy. However, if they turn it into a third person shooter and make the RPG-lite feel of ME2 into I Can't Believe It's An RPG for ME3, I will be less forgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pixelburp wrote: »

I disagree with you.

It doesn't say
    NO romance
    , it says
    no NEW romance

To me, this means
    there will be romance stories with charactors, but it will be with Liara/Ashley/Miranda etc. I reckon those will be the three that have the most impact on the story. If you hooked up with Miranda in second, it will have a big part to play with Cerberus being out to get you.

this is, as always called, a space opera - the romantic connection between Shep and whomever else will have a big part to play in the final act.

To me, this means
    If you hooked up with Miranda in second, it will have a big part to play with Cerberus being out to get you.

Unless
    she left Cerberus at the end of ME2
    , although I might change that on a replay if it leads to some Eastenders-style drama!

Miranda isn't confirmed yet as a squad mate yet either is she?

We could sadly be getting ahead of ourselves here with romance options musings.

I suppose if she isn't a squad mate, she could still be a romance option like other characters in the series so far, but they always seemed to bit on the side options, not major ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I was with Ashley in ME1, then she was quite snarky with me in ME2 so I said **** that and gave Jack a poke and got with Miranda. It will be interesting to see how all that will play out in ME3.

• Advertisement

Source: X360A.ORG
    Mass Effect 3 To Be the Latest Game That's 'Better With Kinect'?

A member on the BioWare forums has stumbled upon the cover art from Mass Effect 3, which was briefly put up by accident on the EA Store. No big deal you might say. That is until you look a little closer and see the purple ' Better With Kinect Sensor' strapline emblazoned across the top of the box.

Is Mass Effect 3 set to be the next core game to have Kinect features crowbarred into it? Will you be projecting your biotic powers with an arm gesture, messing with the Normandy's controls or mining for minerals using Kinect? Who knows what form the motion-tracking device's features will take in Mass Effect 3, assuming that the cover art is accurate, that is.

Take a look at the offending thumbnail image of the cover prematurely published on EA's Store below, then look out for more Mass Effect 3 coverage from E3 2011. Perhaps then we'll know for sure whether Kinect will be in Mass Effect 3 when it releases in Q1 2012.

Mass-Effect-3-Kinect.jpg

Thoughts?

As long as I can still play it with a controller, and this Kinect feature doesn't **** up the game or dumb it down anymore, it will be hard to complain, but who knows what it means yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Source: X360A.ORG

Thoughts?

As long as I can still play it with a controller, and this Kinect feature doesn't **** up the game or dumb it down anymore, it will be hard to complain, but who knows what it means yet.

most likely just some space balls to block, commander shepard the space balls are coming right at us, (shepard)- ok, slap* block* kick* wiggle* whew this is physically demanding. OH NO not the terrible space tread mills quickly shepard jog in place on them and wear them down. OK Good now paint a picture of an elephant to scare them away (Shepard- "@#$% this $%&@)

-: stolen from gameinformer comment

Looks like the Kinect support is all voice commands, for the conversations and for controlling the squad in combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Looks like the Kinect support is all voice commands, for the conversations and for controlling the squad in combat.

"Garrus, please leave the room and go do calibrations on every system in the Normandy"

"Miranda...to my quarters please"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Just watched Casey Hudson show an extended demo (The Krogan princess level, and the opening sequence on Earth)

It looks good, but... I feel dirty for liking it. It's like COD/BF and Gears Of War had a test tube baby, and it grew into a Krogan. Yuck. Obviously the combat had to be improved, but how much? I thought ME2 was great. Lacked the story of ME1, but the improved combat was great. Does it really need many more improvements? (Apart from maybe grenades and inventory). Now it's all barrel rolls, "Press Y for point of interest", and f**king OmniBlade assassinations.

Feel this could piss off the fans like DA2 :(

I thought it looked very like the 2nd game, which isnt a bad thing. ME2 was amazing. In the extended trailer, he said that the RPG aspects were deeper then in the 2nd as well. Probably won't go back to the way it was in the 1st game, but if it was similar to the last game i'd be happy.

Either way, it looked pretty amazing.

If it ends up being like ME2 with some extra customisation and RPG elements beefed up a bit, it would a good step in the right direction.

One can only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭GamesDontSuck

Mass Effect 3 Kinnect Trailer:

This snook out today.
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305126/news/mass-effect-3-collectors-edition-detailed-out-march-2012-amazon/

Anyone worried that Miranda hasn't been announced as being in this yet.If I can say "Miranda...Nice ass" with Kinect I may end up actually buying a Kinect.

Will be getting the collectors edition for the exclusive in game content alone!

• Advertisement

Will be getting the collectors edition for the exclusive in game content alone!

Same as.

A tad expensive but frig it.

Jaysus! Full multiplayer mode in ME 3?????????? The rumours are flying round LA

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/305786/news/mass-effect-3-are-these-the-first-multiplayer-details/

Nearly positive they said there would be no multiplayer in ME3...

I would prefer them to put all the effort into ending the trilogy with a brilliant single player campaign, not a limited one cause they were too busy adding kinect features and multiplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Meh to the kinect features. The few video snips shown look very impressive though, looks very polished.

More MP news/rumours. Online will be 4 player co-op in a horde mode with just a few levels with the intention of them to be played again and again. Sounds very strage

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/307597/news/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-is-real-based-on-original-online-missions/

Oh and a glimpse of
    Miranda
    was seen as well

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306475/previews/mass-effect-3-why-biowares-finale-will-make-you-sad/

Oh, not looking at any of those links, I want my ME3 playthrough to be spoiler free, its proving difficult already.

Fem Shep finally getting in on the action. CVG report bother her and mmmm male shep will be on the cover of the collectors edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Co-op? Sheesh. Hopefully it doesnt take any of the polish away from the storyline. Bioware should just go all out and make a shooter, seems like they are pining for it

Ya, really no need to tack on a half assed MP mode just because its popular these days.

• Advertisement

Ya, really no need to tack on a half assed MP mode just because its popular these days.

I agree completely. I doubt EA agrees with us though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah not liking a lot of what I'm hearing about this game so far, obviously they've got to make money out of it but it seems like they want to make a generic shooter more than a deep rpg

Still plenty to be positive about though and still hopefully a day one purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Darragh_G

After Mass Effect 2 selling well and Dragon Age 2's direction I think it's pretty fair to say that ME3 will be dumbed down. My only hope is that the story will be satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Apparently we'll be seeing multiplayer in some kind of form in ME3.
    It was recently confirmed that Mass Effect 3, the upcoming concluding chapter to Bioware’s epic space opera, will contain some form of a multiplayer mode.

The multiplayer aspect of Mass Effect 3 has been little more than a rumor for some time, but now it was officially confirmed.
    What exactly Bioware is planning is anyone’s guess at this point, though I suppose it should be noted that they are talking about it more as an extra mode, rather than a fully fleshed out aspect of the core game experience. A local and / or online cooperative experience would be nice, rather than a standard death machine mode.
    One thing is certain, this multiplayer component will have to be something special if Bioware is feeling that they have a mode that is worthy of being including in the final act of their saga. They’re not exactly known as being people who skimp out on their games. As long as it’s better than the sorry excuse for a cooperative experience that Fable II offered us, I think most fans will not have a problem with it.
    More information on the multiplayer mode and its features will be released at the upcoming Gamescon this month, and there will apparently be a demo available in the UK during several games shows this coming September. We’ll be sure to keep you posted as the news rolls our way.

http://xboxfreedom.com/mass-effect-3-multiplayer-confirmed/

It's a bit irritating to see the game delayed for something seen widely as unimportant to the series. It better be good :D

So help me God if the singleplayer ends up suffering due to these inclusions that I think most ME players don't really want. Kinect and Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I never thought i'd ever see those as features in this franchise.

It's been said before, and i'll say it again...not every game needs multiplayer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Kiith wrote: »
    It's been said before, and i'll say it again...not every game needs multiplayer!

metroid prime 2, dead space 2, bioshock 2.......... pointless. This will be another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

So help me God if the singleplayer ends up suffering due to these inclusions that I think most ME players don't really want. Kinect and Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I never thought i'd ever see those as features in this franchise.
    Why wouldn't it suffer? It did from 1-2

Why wouldn't it suffer? It did from 1-2

A valid point!

Suffer further perhaps!!!

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    metroid prime 2, dead space 2, bioshock 2.......... pointless. This will be another

Totally agree. Apparently its 3 player co-op missions that run parallel to the main story. Also word of a Horde style mode. Have to say the more I see of ME3 the more I think they are heading in the wrong direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Co-op misions and a horde mode isn't that bad . . . . . . . . versus MP could be **** though, either way will be a cracker methinks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement