Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a moderator - legality ?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a moderator for sale and have a serious offer on it, can someone tell me for sure does the transaction need to be done through a dealer or can it be done person to person ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Once the person has a license and the authorisation for a moderator on it then there is no reason why not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi all,
    I have a moderator for sale and have a serious offer on it, can someone tell me for sure does the transaction need to be done through a dealer or can it be done person to person ?

Thanks in advance.

I would not think it an issue to sell to anyone, no harm by itself, the onus would be on the person to have a permit to use it. No offence owning one, but offence using one without permission.

Don't think so. I could be wrong, but a moderator is classed as a firearm hence the requirement for authorisation. As with a rifle/shotgun. Meaning you cannot own or possess one without authorisation.

I'm assuming its like having a rifle or shotgun in your house. If checked by the Gardai and you hadn't got a license, but told him you don't use it you are still in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

I don't really know. Another clear cut piece of legislation. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Don't think so. I could be wrong, but a moderator is classed as a firearm hence the requirement for authorisation. As with a rifle/shotgun. Meaning you cannot own or possess one without authorisation.

I'm assuming its like having a rifle or shotgun in your house. If checked by the Gardai and you hadn't got a license, but told him you don't use it you are still in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

I don't really know. Another clear cut piece of legislation. :D

It is not classed as a firearm but a component, not serial numbered so no need for a licence to sell or have in your possession. Like owning a car not illegal to own, but illegal to drive without relevant tax and insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

It is not classed as a firearm but a component, not serial numbered so no need for a licence to sell or have in your possession. Like owning a car not illegal to own, but illegal to drive without relevant tax and insurance.

Correct. The legal responsibility is on the buyer, not the seller, to have authorization to mount it on a firearm, if he intends to do so.

• Advertisement

Incorrect.
    • Firstly all moderators are unrestricted as of SI 337/2009.
    • Secondly they are classed as firearms in their own right by the DOJ, as they are not necessary for the rifle to operate, hence they are not a constituent part.
    • Thirdly the onus is on both parties including the seller to ensure the buyer has the relevant authorisation to own, POSSESS and use a moderator.
    • Fourthly it is an offense for someone to pass on, sell, trade, transfer ownership of a moderator to another party that is no authorised to own, POSSESS, and use a moderator. As per Section 7, Firearms and offensive weapons act 1990.
    • Lastly auhorisation can be obtained by licensing the moderator along with your rifle or seperately b a letter from your local Superintendent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭MACT1RE

ezridax wrote: »
    Incorrect.
    • Firstly all moderators are unrestricted as of SI 337/2009.
    • Secondly they are classed as firearms in their own right by the DOJ, as they are not necessary for the rifle to operate, hence they are not a constituent part.
    • Thirdly the onus is on both parties including the seller to ensure the buyer has the relevant authorisation to own, POSSESS and use a moderator.
    • Fourthly it is an offense for someone to pass on, sell, trade, transfer ownership of a moderator to another party that is no authorised to own, POSSESS, and use a moderator. As per Section 7, Firearms and offensive weapons act 1990.
    • Lastly auhorisation can be obtained by licensing the moderator along with your rifle or seperately b a letter from your local Superintendent.

Good find, I stand corrected. Problem is most dealers I know will gladly sell you a mod stating you need authorization to use it and from the above it seems they should not be doing that!

MACT1RE wrote: »
    Good find, I stand corrected. Problem is most dealers I know will gladly sell you a mod stating you need authorization to use it and from the above it seems they should not be doing that!

yep plus one for you, a good find, looked for it myself and did not locate it

Advertisement