Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Careers in Aviation

• 10-12-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im considering of studyin Aeronautical Engineering in UL, but I'd love to find out other careers possible in avation.
    What options are there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

Do the aeronautical Engineering degree in Queens, if your decent at maths, I would love to do it, but im hopeless at maths.

Regarding the other options, theres... Air traffic controlling, (exams are this year I think)

Piloting ... (if you have 100 k in the bank account) you should consider it.

Mechanic or ground engineer ( these are the real hero's of aviation)

Flight attendant ( Bit repetitive though)

Dispatcher (A flight dispatcher is a person responsible for planning and monitoring the progress of an aircraft journey)

Air corps ( best possible career in aviation)

Baggage Hander ( Meant to be alot of craic)

Corporate Pilot ( Flying learjets for celebs or the government)

Flight Marshall ( Easy job, just sit there for there whole flight every day)

Airline and airport operations ( You might need a business/marketing/ logistics degree etc )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chubster

Air traffic control all the way!!

In Ireland, check out the IAA website: http://www.iaa.ie/

In the UK, it's NATS: http://natscareers.co.uk/

In Europe (airspace covering Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, north-west Germany) check out EUROCONTROL: http://www.eurocontrol.int/muac/public/standard_page/atco_careers_home.html

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ATC is difficult to get into. You've missed out on this year's IAA intake.

Unless you have alot of money, or want to get involved with a huge loan, then learning to fly might not be overly ideal.

To be honest, just get yourself into college in any case, then you have something to fall back on if you decide to go for the above and they dont work out- Aero Eng is not in my field of interest so I cant comment on that

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭niaroh1x96

Hey guys (nd gals :P), just wondering what course(from cao etc. ) would be best to do to have a career in those crash investigations,

its something i'd love to do, my favourite programme on television is "Mayday" and I think the terrible accident in Cork today made me think about it again, that I would love to be investigating what were the causes of the plane crashing.

Im still in secondary school, so preferably I am interested in a Level 8 course that I can apply for through the CAO, so any help would be greatly appreciated:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

The majority of the air crash investigators are mostly former pilots, aircraft engineers and people who have worked in the industry for a considerable amount of time.

Its not really a career that involves doing a course and applying for a position if you know what i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Ill probably try to get into DIT for aviation technology or CIT for aircraft sysems and try to do my ppl during summer if ill get any job...btw that investigation thing should be good too i could see myself doing that ;) is it hard to get an apprenticeship in air corps as aircraft mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I am looking into becoming a pilot (just thinking about it), you should look at the http://www.pilottrainingcollege.com/ they have open days that are quite informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

There's no chance that i would get at least 100k for CPL :D so thats not really an option for me :)

Advertisement