Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weights for Weight Loss?

• 10-12-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Alight guys have been a big follower and a fan of this site since the summer and its been a big help to me.. So wanna say a big thanks to all the people who posted things an all on this.. motivated me alot. But now i have a question i need answered and decided instead of searching the websites why not ask some of the members here.

My Background at the beginning of my summer holidays (June) i was a 19st 8lbs (Really bad i know) student now im down to 14st 4lbs (:D applause.. applause) loss of like 5 st 4lbs. Diet is decent.. obviously its working and my gym routine is all cardio 5 days a week.

So my question is.. Should i start doing weights at the gym now and or continue just on cardio til i reach my goal (I have like another 1-1 1/2 st of weight left to shift)
    Now my idea was to get a personal trainer (in like march) when i reach my goal and start hard on the weights and be in good form by next summer. But i dont wanna start doing weights and all that if its gonna stop me from loosing more weight

Any help would be great... All the best and happy Xmas :)
    B.D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Firstly, congrats on making such progress. Shows commitment and determination, wait til you see how much you achieve next year.

I'd hit the weights whenever you feel up for it. It's not going to mess up your progress (it's about body shape after all (as in fat%, etc etc) not just how many kilos you are. weights work will still be calories burned too remember). A couple of PT sessions can be a good way to get in and make a good start. They'll be able to advise you on your form so that you start well. However, there's nothing wrong with giving some weights work a go in advance of this. Either look at a starter program (such as SS) or even just pick a few exercises you like the look of and give them a go. Start with low weights and see how you do.

Either way, just keep it up and you'll be laughing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Excellent work, and as mentioned if you wanna do weights, do em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Do weights along with the cardio as soon as possible as that will help you to burn fat wayyyy faster, believe me.

Do something like 3 sets of 10 or 3 sets of 12.

Plus, after going from 19st down to 14, it would be good to begin the toning as soon as possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Tanks guys for the replies. Gonna ask about PT sessions in the gym dis week and get started prob after christmas.
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

Good Work on getting this far....
    Weights will do nothing but good! Muscle determines your metabolism, basically the more muscle you have the more calories your body has to burn to repair itself! and it'll be helping you look better too

win win in my opinion!

• Advertisement

Good Work on getting this far....
    Weights will do nothing but good! Muscle determines your metabolism, basically the more muscle you have the more calories your body has to burn to repair itself! and it'll be helping you look better too

win win in my opinion!

Cheers Chad thanks.. good to know it wont affect me burn calories.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

holy jaysus that is some weight loss in all fairness. two questions out of sheer wonder...What cardio are you doing five times a week? ...and what do you eat every day?......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Deszie7

First off congrats on the weight loss thats amazing, I'd also love to know what you eat and your cardio routine and again congrats

BlueIsland wrote: »
    holy jaysus that is some weight loss in all fairness. two questions out of sheer wonder...What cardio are you doing five times a week? ...and what do you eat every day?......

Hey blue/Deszie7.. Well at the start it was treadmill and elliptical machine. But since i messed up my toe during the summer its all on the elliptical. I Try to burn like between 1,200-1,500 cals. Usually do.
    (Deszie7 just seen you started a thread on weight loos PM me if ya want futher advice.. im not an expert or anything on it but i know what worked for myself)

As for my diet I go by this quote i read in a book i got "Eat Breakfast like a King.... Lunch like a Prince.... Dinner like a Pauper" so would have a big breakfast (A piece of fruit, Ceral or Toast some days) Good sized lunch (Tuna/Chicken wrap, Subway, salad) then a small dinner (Usually stir-fry cause its the only thing i can cook well :D, all of the meals for dinner would have chicken or fish or meat on different days). I know Its a pretty strict diet i put myself on but its working for me. But i also have my days were i eat some pizza.. chipper.. Chinese not all the time but like as a treat kinda thing if that makes sense

P.S The Book i got is Called No More Mr Fat Guy The nutrition and fitness programme for men! by Jonathon Savill & Richard Smedley.. hihgly recommend it to anyone who wants to loose abit of weight. Got it from amazon for like 6 Euro.

Advertisement