Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Kindle in Dublin?

• 10-12-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

I am in Dublin for approximately three weeks and am keen to purchase a Kindle. I would prefer not to have to risk waiting the 7-8 weeks it could potentially take to arrive from Amazon or to order through eBay / Irish delivery services based in NI etc.

Does anyone know of any other places I could pick up one? I heard Dixons in Dublin Airport sells them but it could be a bit of hit and miss as I am passing through Duty Free on my way back to Australia.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

dSTAR wrote: »
    I am in Dublin for approximately three weeks and am keen to purchase a Kindle. I would prefer not to have to risk waiting the 7-8 weeks it could potentially take to arrive from Amazon or to order through eBay / Irish delivery services based in NI etc.

Does anyone know of any other places I could pick up one? I heard Dixons in Dublin Airport sells them but it could be a bit of hit and miss as I am passing through Duty Free on my way back to Australia.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    As far as I am aware, you will have to purchase it off .com.

Dixons and John lewis only sell through there stores in the UK at the moment, I haven't heard anything about them selling in shops in Ireland.

It would be possible for you to get it delivered to someone in England, and then have them either bring it over to you, or send it over to you, but if there is ever a problem with it, it will need to be sent back to england, where it will be collected from wherever it was delivered to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Dixons and John lewis only sell through there stores in the UK at the moment, I haven't heard anything about them selling in shops in Ireland.
    Thanks for your help.

I was under the impression that Dixons in Dublin airport had them from another post. I have friends in the UK who are returning to Ireland for the holidays so may have to ask one of them if they can take one over. You can get them on eBay Australia but they sell for up to AUD$450 which seems quite pricey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Its only Dublin airport that you'll get it in. You could try contacting them and see if you can reserve it, the number is on the other thread. Im not sure if they do thou, its worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

dSTAR wrote: »

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You might try http://www.borderlinx.com, register on-line for free and you'll be given a US and UK address, from there use that address when ordering the kindle on line, it will get delivered to said specific US or UK address depending on your preference, and borderlinx.com will courier it out of the country...they will charge you of course depending on the size of the package and will let you know beforehand the estimate cost of shipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I am going to give Dixons a call tomorrow and see if I can keep one aside. With the Christmas rush and backlog on deliveries with the bad weather across the UK I don't want to risk it as I will be going to Australia after Christmas. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Couple of questions about this, guys, if anyone knows:

Will Amazon.co.uk deliver these to an address in N.I.?

Is there any point to getting 3G if it's going to be used mainly in Ireland (I presume you'd have to swap the supplied SIM card at a minimum)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

blastman wrote: »
    Couple of questions about this, guys, if anyone knows:

Will Amazon.co.uk deliver these to an address in N.I.?
    Yes they will.
    Is there any point to getting 3G if it's going to be used mainly in Ireland (I presume you'd have to swap the supplied SIM card at a minimum)?
    There is no sim card. It just has wifi and 3G built in so if you use it abroad you dont need to do anything. You wont need the 3G if you have access to wifi and will be downloading you books just in the wifi area.

The 3G thou is free. You can download books anywhere and you can browse the internet anywhere for free. Thats assuming your in a 3G area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Jet Black wrote: »
    Yes they will.

There is no sim card. It just has wifi and 3G built in so if you use it abroad you dont need to do anything. You wont need the 3G if you have access to wifi and will be downloading you books just in the wifi area.

The 3G thou is free. You can download books anywhere and you can browse the internet anywhere for free. Thats assuming your in a 3G area.
    Just a few things on this.

It does actually have a sim card in it, it's just not removable, and won't work with anything other than the Kindle it comes in.

If going abroad, depending on the country, you may need to change your network provider, but Kindle support would walk you through that over the phone.

Also, it doesn't have to be a 3G area for the kindle to work, it can also be EDGE/gprs coverage.

Advertisement