Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The K-1 World Grand Prix Thread [SPOILERS]

• 11-12-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That time of the year again. Some interesting fights and hopefully we will see some good fights. Tournament ladder below.

tournament_101211.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Would love to see Semmy vs Ubereem in the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

SanoVitae wrote: »
    Would love to see Semmy vs Ubereem in the final!

Thats my guess as to how it'll end up. Id love to see Overeem take it but ive a bad feeling getting inside Shilts jab will be too much for him.

Starts at 7am our time I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I think Spong will get a SD over Overeem. I am going for a Spong / Semmy final.

Starts at 7am our time I think

Hearing 8 but I could be wrong

Anyone got a decent stream? Or know what channel it's on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Is this going to be shown live on any tv channels or will I have to try and find a link online?

Really looking forward to Spong v Overeem!

Anyone got a decent stream? Or know what channel it's on?

It is not on until the morning. We might aswell create the thread now so we actually have one and can discuss this before the event instead of when the event is taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

it would interesting to see wha would happen if schilt and overeem got to the final together, they are team mates and good friends as far as i know.

Overeem says he is not friends with Schilt, but likes him more than the others in the competition. While there may not be bad blood between them, he's very critical of Semmy's fighting style ->

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/news/2010/1206_wgp_01.html

Overeem has the tools to beat Schilt but if their good friends it would be a dull fight.

• Advertisement

Overeem says he is not friends with Schilt, but likes him more than the others in the competition. While there may not be bad blood between them, he's very critical of Semmy's fighting style ->

http://www.k-1.co.jp/en/news/2010/1206_wgp_01.html

i'd take that interview with a pinch of salt.

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/10/4/1729192/alistair-overeem-chooses-tyrone-spong-over-semmy-schilt-for-k-1-final

makes them sound more friendly.

actually my link above is misleading/factually incorrect. he's talkinga bout tyrone sprong in the 7 years together/just like sparring bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Great display from Aerts against Schilt, was not expecting that.

Aerts is a fu€king legend! What a warrior!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Overeem vs Aerts, Cmon Overeem !

Has Sergei fought yet?

Sergei's fighting next, I believe.

Edit: My stream is laggy though.

He is, I made a mistake. He is making his entrance now for the second superfight. Shít entrance music by him though.

Hope he does well. I wish he'd get in shape and get back to MMA. One of my favourite fighters.

• Advertisement

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Edit: My stream is laggy though.

Sopcast Channel - 24267 is showing an excellent quality stream!

Sergei has aged about 20 years since I watched him fight Monson! :eek:

Sergei was winning that round until the final minute.

Sergei does the chicken dance :(

Damn! Sergei was looking good until he got caught with the knee. Now get back to MMA Sergei!

Final is up NEXT. War Aerts.

Those Russians sure do love the fish dance. I thought he had Jaideep in his pocket until that knee.

I'm not sure if Sergei's days in MMA are over either, he didn't look good on the ground against Monson and he didn't look in the best condition there tonight.

Why have they drafted in King Mo Lawal to commentate? The guy is a wrestler FFS. He offers zero input!

I think they had to replace Ray Sefo on short notice? Still, strange. Mo in K-1 in 2011? :-p

• Advertisement

Aerts will surely cement his place as the best K1 fighter ever if he takes this one.

Ernesto Hoost is my all-time fave though.

I think Overeems got this one! He's going to be alot fresher than Aerts after his quick win against Saki.

Wow!

That was a pity. Aerts was finished before the fight began.

Aerts will surely cement his place as the best K1 fighter ever if he takes this one.

Ernesto Hoost is my all-time fave though.

Andy Hug gets my vote for the best K-1 fighter of All Time.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Andy Hug gets my vote for the best K-1 fighter of All Time.

Based on his potential or what he achieved before he died?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I like to think that was cemented a long time ago.

Based on his potential or what he achieved before he died?

Both. He had a lethal axe kick and finished some fights with axe kicks, which aren't really designed for power.

Both. He had a lethal axe kick and finished some fights with axe kicks, which aren't really designed for power.

Yeah, it's amazing how he could seemingly pull it out of anywhere. Usually it's easy to telegraph the move, but he could transition from one kick to another in seconds.

Watch 0.32 into the clip at the end of this article -> he decides against a spinning kick and then KOs his opponent with an axekick off the same leg. Insane how he gets to much power into it -> http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/6/16/1518356/bloody-elbow-judo-chop-mirko-cro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Agree with the final being over before it began but Aerts putting one over on Semmy more than made up for it.

I had high hopes for Ghita, but he didn't look great at all he didn't use his hands at all really in the 1st round.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Got a question for MMA and kickboxing aficionados what is the reason with Holland's great history in kickboxing? Now I know other European countries practice kickboxing (France & Savate etc) but there seems to be a much greater heritage of it in Holland and background of high quality fighters, trainers and clubs. This is what I gather but I do not have a great knowledge in kickboxing.

Is this due to Holland's historical links with Indonesia and an export of Indonesian and other Far Eastern MA's to Holland?

If anyone is able to answer this question or shed light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

• Advertisement

conor678 wrote: »
    Got a question for MMA and kickboxing aficionados what is the reason with Holland's great history in kickboxing? Now I know other European countries practice kickboxing (France & Savate etc) but there seems to be a much greater heritage of it in Holland and background of high quality fighters, trainers and clubs. This is what I gather but I do not have a great knowledge in kickboxing.

Is this due to Holland's historical links with Indonesia and an export of Indonesian and other Far Eastern MA's to Holland?

If anyone is able to answer this question or shed light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Its don't think it is the Netherlands and Indonesian link. The Netherlands for some reason have seemed to take Kickboxing more serious than other countries. Camps such as Mike's Gym (Hari and Manhoef), Golden Glory (Schilt and Overeem), Team Aerts (Peter Aerts) and Team Bonjaskey [Different name but can't think of it now] (Remy Bonjaskey) all have provided multiple champions. The last three champions are on that list (Bonjaskey, Schilt and Overeem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Its don't think it is the Netherlands and Indonesian link. The Netherlands for some reason have seemed to take Kickboxing more serious than other countries. Camps such as Mike's Gym (Hari and Manhoef), Golden Glory (Schilt and Overeem), Team Aerts (Peter Aerts) and Team Bonjaskey [Different name but can't think of it now] (Remy Bonjaskey) all have provided multiple champions. The last three champions are on that list (Bonjaskey, Schilt and Overeem).

Aerts is part of Chakuriki gym and Hoost is part of Vos gym IIRC.

Advertisement