Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from television

Options
  • 11-12-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭

Okay,

I was banned from television. Reason? - Abusing another poster.

A poster in the late late show thread remarked to another poster that they should, as according to forum charter, attack the posts and not the poster, so i remarked - your posts are cúnts.

I have received a ban for this when i clearly did not attack the poster, that is clear as day.

I contacted the mod, told him this and he simply said "i will not discuss this in pm with you" - WTF?

Ridiculous banning in my opinion and his refusal to even discuss it with me like an adult is beyond a joke, why is he even a mod if he can't discuss it with me? That is the least i would expect. No way i should be in here pleading my case with you.

Anyways, it is what it is at this stage, hit me back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hi,

I think you are trying to get off on a technicality here. Attack the post and not the poster refers to attacking the persons argument and not to resort to name calling. Which, you did. Pretty open and shut case in my eyes. I'm siding with the moderator here.

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Will wrote: »
    Hi,

I think you are trying to get off on a technicality here. Attack the post and not the poster refers to attacking the persons argument and not to resort to name calling. Which, you did. Pretty open and shut case in my eyes. I'm siding with the moderator here.

Will

The poster didn't have an argument.

I was banned for personal abuse, i did not personally abuse anyone. If i am going to be banned please change the reason for the banning. My intention was to basically say that the poster was trolling and spouting rubbish so i called their posts cúnts, i never intended it to be a round-a-bout way to call the poster herself a cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

So instead of saying that the poster was trolling and spouting rubbish you decided on saying that "your posts are cúnts"...? Which in your eyes would have been better received? Why didn't you report the posts with the report button?

Again I will say that I am siding with the moderator here and upholding the ban. The admins can take over from here.

I came here to say i don't care about the ban i'd just like the reason changed. BUT, i see the poster whose posts i abused has received an infraction, an infraction i assume for calling another poster a "dickhead", straight out personal abuse.

Whether or not i used personal abuse is open to question and i receive a banning. That lady straight out abuses another poster and receives an infraction?

That is hardly fair, is it?

That's pissed me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi,

I think the difference in level of punishment can be easily explained by the difference in level of insult. "dickhead" is nowhere near as insulting and offensive (especially to women) as the term you used. In addition, while the other user's infraction was received for her response to a post aimed at her, your exclaimation was unprovoked.

While I do agree that the mod in question should have been open to explaining your ban to you properly (assuming your PM to him was polite) I have to agree with the mods and the cmod on this one and feel that the ban , while harsh in light of the other persons infraction, is justified and not over zealous. (you also had another post in that thread deleted for its content) I will speak to the mod about your PM exchange but I have to agree with the mod and cmod in this case and let the ban stand.

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    Hi,

I think the difference in level of punishment can be easily explained by the difference in level of insult. "dickhead" is nowhere near as insulting and offensive (especially to women) as the term you used. In addition, while the other user's infraction was received for her response to a post aimed at her, your exclaimation was unprovoked.

While I do agree that the mod in question should have been open to explaining your ban to you properly (assuming your PM to him was polite) I have to agree with the mods and the cmod on this one and feel that the ban , while harsh in light of the other persons infraction, is justified and not over zealous. (you also had another post in that thread deleted for its content) I will speak to the mod about your PM exchange but I have to agree with the mod and cmod in this case and let the ban stand.

Hi, whether or not i personally abused anybody is debatable, but i accept the ban as it could be interpreted as so.

Whether or not she personally abused somebody is not up for debate, she clearly did. This is a clear case of her getting preferential treatment because she is a female. You know it, i know it. It's bullshít considering she was clearly trolling the thread. That is what sticks in my craw.

Also, the level of insult doesn't come into it, i see no mention of it on any forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Hi, whether or not i personally abused anybody is debatable, but i accept the ban as it could be interpreted as so.

thank you
    Whether or not she personally abused somebody is not up for debate, she clearly did. This is a clear case of her getting preferential treatment because she is a female. You know it, i know it. It's bullshít considering she was clearly trolling the thread. That is what sticks in my craw.

yes, she insulted somebody by calling them a dickhead after being addressed in a patronising manner ("princess"). the mod has taken this into account and issued an infraction. Preferential treatment for being a female? are you absolutely sure of that? its nick suggests female but are you positive that the user is female? In any case, no, I dont think its a sexism issue, its a degree of insult issue. However, if you believe it to be gender based please post up any information you have to support this stance and I'll be happy to re-assess the situation for you.
    Also, the level of insult doesn't come into it, i see no mention of it on any forum charter.

the charter doesnt have to list every single possible offense nor does it have to mention that different levels of abuse warrant different levels of punishment. Someday it may, and even then I doubt it will be a offense X = result Y only affair. Mods use their discretion and judgement to deem what punishment is appropriate. Mods do make mistakes, thats why this process is here but at this stage the mod, the category mod and now an admin have all agreed that the punishment fit the crime in this case and the only person mentioning favouritism is you.

The fact remains: Instead of hitting the report button YOU decided to post an insult that involved a quite severe swear word that is known to be particularly offensive to women when addressing what you thought was a female poster when that poster wasnt even referring to you in her posts.

I apologise for marking this issue resolved, it seems I jumped the gun there. I shall mark it active again until I hear from you regarding your evidence of sexual discrimination (that is proof that the user was given a lesser penalty for a personal insult solely for the fact that the user appears to be female and not in any way due to context or the severity of insult used) or until mid-day Friday at which time, if I havent heard from you I will consider the matter resolved.

LoLth wrote: »
    thank you

yes, she insulted somebody by calling them a dickhead after being addressed in a patronising manner ("princess"). the mod has taken this into account and issued an infraction. Preferential treatment for being a female? are you absolutely sure of that? its nick suggests female but are you positive that the user is female? In any case, no, I dont think its a sexism issue, its a degree of insult issue. However, if you believe it to be gender based please post up any information you have to support this stance and I'll be happy to re-assess the situation for you.

the charter doesnt have to list every single possible offense nor does it have to mention that different levels of abuse warrant different levels of punishment. Someday it may, and even then I doubt it will be a offense X = result Y only affair. Mods use their discretion and judgement to deem what punishment is appropriate. Mods do make mistakes, thats why this process is here but at this stage the mod, the category mod and now an admin have all agreed that the punishment fit the crime in this case and the only person mentioning favouritism is you.

The fact remains: Instead of hitting the report button YOU decided to post an insult that involved a quite severe swear word that is known to be particularly offensive to women when addressing what you thought was a female poster when that poster wasnt even referring to you in her posts.

I apologise for marking this issue resolved, it seems I jumped the gun there. I shall mark it active again until I hear from you regarding your evidence of sexual discrimination (that is proof that the user was given a lesser penalty for a personal insult solely for the fact that the user appears to be female and not in any way due to context or the severity of insult used) or until mid-day Friday at which time, if I havent heard from you I will consider the matter resolved.

Well, considering i was banned from After Hours of all places for calling someone an idiot, i thought there was a zero tolerance policy on personal abuse, but i accept some mods interpret the rules differently as well as extending preferential treatment to certain posters. No problem, that's always going to be the case.

She was patronised after what many on the thread at the time considered persistent trolling on her behalf. Why was that not taken into consideration too?

I gathered the poster was a female when she kindly informed the thread that she was a D cup.

You can mark this down as resolved. While i do believe she was given preferential treatment on account of being female, it's not so big a deal that i wish to waste my time or yours on following it up.

Thank you for your time, i appreciate it.

Advertisement