Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescued kitten

• 11-12-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just yesterday I came upon a little kitten huddled under a car in the town where I live. After asking people in the local shops it appears she had been there for the last few weeks (the car hadn't been moved due to the weather) I could not leave the poor thing under there. She survived the last two weeks of awful weather on her own and she couldn't have been more than 6 weeks old, to my mind she deserved a break. It took me an hour to catch her with much cajolling and half a pack of ham.

After finally getting her I brought her round the corner to the vets thinking they could hold her there and get one of the local shelters to pick her up (The weather had stranded my car otherwise I would have brought her) but they said they had no room, deflea-ed/ear mite/ wormed her and sent me home with the numbers for shelters saying that one would surely come get the cat.

I took her home, quarantined her (have another cat) in the bathroom and set her up with food etc. Needless to say by the time my partner got home she'd worked her green eyed magic on me and I wasn't going to be calling no animal shelter.

So here comes the bad bit. She hadn't gone to the toilet by 7 this evening in over 24 hours and I was getting worried. Her little belly is distended and hard. So I brought her back down to the vet. Poor little Belle (we've named her now we have to keep her) is so malnourished that because she only just started eating good food thanks to me that she's literally full of it. I was told not to vaccinate her because she might not survive the next *few days. Now I don't know what to think because an hour after I got her home she started to use the litter tray and while it's not loose stool there is a hell of a lot of it. Since she used the tray she's gotten far more active and playful. I just can't equate the vets "she might not make it" to this little fighter I've gotten to see in the last day. Am I deluding myself should I trust the vet and prepare for the worst? I really hope that with a little love, good food and water she's going to be fine. Has anyone else taken in a malnourished kitten and is there anything else I can be doing to improve her chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Well done for being so kind and shame on the people that knew she was there for so long and done nothing.

i have had pets all of my life and they all come from the streets.

I never had the problem you having because for the first couple of weeks i always controlled their food and fed them less then the others, as they will eat to much thinking that they may not have it tomorrow.

Yes the vet may very well have a point, but i never give up on an animal and i have had a few very ill.

i would give her only a couple of feeds a day (kitten food) and very small ones for the next few days, plenty of water (no milk at all).

And let her rest if that is what she wants to do, as she got better (hope she does) i would then increase her food slowly until normal.

I'd keep her worn and around people, company can do wonders for a sick animal.

Hope she does make it, don't give up until she does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah fair play to you op. How is your other cat taking to the new kitty being in the house?

Kittens are amazingly resiliant. She could be very ill and still a little bundle of fun. However the fact she has gone to the toilet is great, and I'd probably relax a bit now if I was you. Tiny meals many times a day and constant access to water is the way to go now. Make sure she is drinking, and keep her warm.

you've done a wonderful thing, imagine how happy she is now, all warm and full and safe. well done.

pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good food. No milk. Warmth, love, positivity, cuddles. She might just amaze you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Netanya

Well Belle made it through the night ok and her belly has gone down a little. I'm doing the little meals all day and while she's complaining that she's hungry I don't want to give in and make her get sick by over feeding her.

My other cat hasn't been introduced because as she isn't vaccinated I don't want them to give anything to each other. I'm washing my hands before and after handling her and wearing a big fluffy cardie she seems to like so that there is no risk of spreading anything. I had another kitten who wasn't vaccinated catch flu off a cat who was vaccinated because he was a carrier and I won't let it happen again.

She is a very affectionate little kitten and I get a meow of hello and then solid purring until I leave the room. A little angel really.

And because you asked, pictures!

She had just arrived in my house and did not look pleased at all

This was an hour or two later and she seemed much happier

This morning she was much more inquisitive and wanted to know what I was doing and why I wasn't petting her

Up and about and looking a lot healthier than the 9th when I found her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

She looks a lot older than 6 weeks to me, id double that.

• Advertisement

The vet was the one who said between 6-8 weeks based on teeth. I'm quoting her. But you could be right. She does appear big in the pictures but she's actually quite small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Did you find this kitten in Kilcock?

My OH & I came across one exactly the same down in Kilcock village. We coaxed her out from under the car & actually got hold of her & then she escaped again across the road & under a van. An old guy came out & put out food for her. I was going to take her home if could get hold of her again & was going to see if could get her again.

Fair play to you for actually getting her & taking her in. I love hearing stories like this. I have two cats & one of them was a stray I rescued, the other from DSPCA & had been turned in as a stray.

I hope this is the kitten in Kilcock as I was worrying about her.

It was the the kitten on new lane in kilcock.

I'm glad other people were trying to help her.

Hope your minds at ease now :)

Yes! She was gorgeous. I was gutted when she legged it across the road. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

hi,
    I am almost 100% I know what kitten you are talking about, it is (i think) a gorgeous little tricoloured one with little white front paws and a pink nose.

She has been on that road for atleast 3 weeks now. When I first found her, she was under a car infront of the gallery and I also spent over an hour trying to catch her, tricking her with food etc. but to no avail.

i too went to the local vets and asked for help and a cat trap which they said they dont have (but pretty much all vets do!).
    I rang a friend of mine who catches ferals and neuters them and lets them free again, she also helps the sick ones and sometimes tames the young and keeps them...anyway, she said she couldn't go to the town as its too far away and gave the idea for the trap.

i just did a veterinary assistant course and tried my best to do all I learned but she was too fast and I just couldn't catch her. from then on, some local shop owners and I have fed her tinned cat food and light butchers scraps. (I know its not the healthiest for a kitten but she needed something). She's adorable and Im delighted you caught her.

i have been taking care of a family of feral cats where I live in the village for two years now and they come to me daily. Your kitten isn't part of them...just to reassure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

She's so cute...well done on actually taking her home and looking after her :)

You doing all you can, now she as to do the rest.

Oops, i just noticed the photos now...yeah, it that kitten for definate. I just want to say I also rang the kildare spca and got no answer 9several times) and I emailed with no reply so I tried.

Thanks again for saving her, I admire you!

Maybe I should go into the practice of catching kittens! ;)

Thank you everyone for replying. Another day of good food and rest and she has finally started to bounce around and cause just as much havok as a kitten should. Hopefully this is a good sign. I'll continue to update you all until she's well and truly out of the woods. Especially those of you who were feeding her until I could catch her.

Also thanks Bubs99 for letting me know she's not part of the feral group. Good to know.

Im so happy she's indoors in the warmth with proper love and food. She is sooo cute, she was very affectionate until you go to catch her and she jumped back, never scratched or bit, such an angel for a kitten.

I knew she could be tamed. Im so happy she has the chance to. I was so worried about her in the freezing nights last week.

Thank you

Another day and she is really bouncing back. In fact now every time I go into her room I get scolded for leaving her in the first place. She has become very vocal and really makes her demands be known.

Bossy just like me ;)

My other cat, Sandy has taken up camp outside the door to her room and is purring, rolling around and in general playing the gap under the door. Belle doesn't seem to pleased with this and hisses at the door every now and then. Hopefully she gets a bit more friendly before their face to face introduction.

As she has gained some weight and become more active we are going to bring her for her vaccinations tomorrow. Hopefully the vet will think she's up to them.

I'll post more pics of Bossy Belle tomorrow so you can all see her bright eyed, happy little face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is great little pre-christmas happy ending story, loving your updates OP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Netanya wrote: »

I'll post more pics of Bossy Belle tomorrow so you can all see her bright eyed, happy little face.

She is really beautiful and well done to you for managing to catch her and give her a home. Vets can be quite pesimistic on the outcome for young rescued cats as they see so many that don't make it due to malnutrition and disease. The only thing I can say to you is to trust your instinct in a situation like that and, as you know, it paid off with Belle.

I can't wait to see more pics of her and find out how the big introduction goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Just wanted to say...I'm so pleased I read this - three people so desperately trying to help the kitten - restores faith in humanity!! I even had a tear in my eye :o. But then, I'm pregnant, I've an excuse!!

I was NEVER a cat person. Hated them, wouldn't go near them!
    Earlier this Summer, we were adopted by a young feral kitten who camped in our engine one particularly hot Summers day. My other half, determined to free him, spent an hour and a half getting him out and then, despite my protestations, took him home in the car.
    He's now my little bed fellow and I love him!!! I hate letting him out in the cold!

Delighted to see that Belle is doing so well!! Well done to all involved!

Im delighted Bossy belle is doing well. Hopefully she'll warm to your other cat soon. Great timing for catching her as it's meant to snow and freeze again this week. Keep up the good work. x

Sorry I was supposed to get on to post these this morning but it just didn't happen.

We rescheduled vaccinations to tomorrow evening but I don't really mind because she'll be even stronger after another day. I had to go out for some of the day so I really got told off when I got back. :D

I'm just going to give the link for the whole album because she's just too cute for one or two pics ;)

Thanks for all the lovely replies everyone, as if it wasn't enough that her going from strength to strength makes me feel like I did the right thing. I have all you lovely people reassuring me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

She is such a cutie and has such gorgeous eyes.
    Hopefully all will be well with her and you'll have lots of very happy years together.

Silcocky wrote: »

Earlier this Summer, we were adopted by a young feral kitten who camped in our engine one particularly hot Summers day. My other half, determined to free him, spent an hour and a half getting him out and then, despite my protestations, took him home in the car.
    He's now my little bed fellow and I love him!!! I hate letting him out in the cold!

Delighted to see that Belle is doing so well!! Well done to all involved!

That's how I found my stray kitten - in the car engine sitting on the battery, only 7 weeks old. I had brought her up to the pound as I already had a cat but she tugged on my heart strings & I brought her home & now I wouldn't be without her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Bless you Netanya, you're an angel.

And your kitten is such a sweetheart and sooooooo pretty!

I feel all Christmassy and tearful now after reading this thread. Thank you! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

You've got yourself a gorgeous little kitten there. Best wishes and you are so good to take her on.

Just to keep you all updated we went for a trip to the vet today to get our vaccinations. Different vet today and after a more thorough exam it turns out she was born in around April, but is really malnourished and this is why she is so small. So sorry NoQuarter, I and the other vet were wrong.

So now we're all vaccinated the introduction to sandy can happen in about 4 or 5 days but the vet says as long as their not in the same room she can be in other parts of the house other than her safe room. Yay!

I'll let you all know how the introduction goes and hopefully by the end of the holiday season we shall be a happy integrated two cat family!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

Hi Netanya,

Do let us know how the introduction went. I hope Belle is still doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

i tried to catch her to in the square ,well done on catching her ,dont pay to much notice to the vet in kilcock .i brough a stray kitten to her she told me it was healthy died next day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I found a kitten yesterday morning about 6-7 weeks old 1 eye missing and bleeding and the other bulging out,took to the vets and they said it looked like cat flu that had been left,people must have just chucked her out instead of treating her.Discusting :mad:
    She's been put to sleep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

such a beautiful face,,well done for saving her,,thats one lucky kitty:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭bowsie010

She's lovely netanya.Very angry looking though lol.
    I'm sure shes very grateful.

Advertisement