Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK / ROI

Options
  • 11-12-2010 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I currently have an iPhone 3GS and I am currently on an o2 IRL 18 month contract that is coming to an end, and was thinking of renewing with an Android phone.

I'm an upcoming programmer, and wanna get into designing for Android, (Comp Sci in college), however the number of Android phones on sale in the ROI is dreadfully low, and when we do get them, we always get them late, too late usually.

I wanna get a Desire Z, Nexus S, Desire HD or a few others (Like the SE Zeus Z1 nom nom nom!), but they aren't available atm here.

Would it be possible to head up to the North of Ireland and take the contract out there, and use it normally in the Republic or what's the story?

Cheers lads,

Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Would it be possible to head up to the North of Ireland and take the contract out there, and use it normally in the Republic

The phone will work fine, but you'll be roaming and possibly paying through the nose in general to make and receive calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Neither the Nexus S or Zeus are available here yet, BUT, they aren't available ANYWHERE yet. As for the Desire Z and Desire HD, they are both available here as well as in Northern Ireland, so I don't understand what you mean about having to get them up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Desire HD available on 3 and no roaming charges as long as your on 3UK

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

GWNiall wrote: »
    Would it be possible to head up to the North of Ireland and take the contract out there, and use it normally in the Republic or what's the story?

Unfortunately this would not be possible. To get a contract in NI you would need a UK address and a UK bank account, to be eligible, but even with these details you may not pass the credit check. As others have mentioned roaming charges, especially for data, would be enormous on most networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I don't think there is that much of a delay in getting Android phones here. Also has been pointed out you are looking to get 2 phones that aren't even released anywhere yet. so of the 4 phones you want the 2 actually released phones are available here so what is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭GWNiall

yeh I know the Zeus and Nexus S aren't out yet, but my contracts got a while left, down to 4 months! Yeow! I probably should have said that I hope to get an Android phone in about for or 5 months.

What phone do you think would be worth getting? Even if its not on the list, and what phones do you think are worth keeping an eye out for in the future? I'm liking the Desire HD, but with Android phones being released so quickly now, by the time I buy one, in 5 months, there'll be something brand spanking new out! :P

I would PREFER to stay with o2 cause most of the people I call and text, including my GF, are o2, but staying with them isn't essential :)

Thanks guys,

Appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

truthfully if you have 4 months left on your contract I wouldn't worry about keeping an eye out at the moment, however if you were the LG star is probably one you should be looking out for.

However in 4 months we should have a better idea about when honeycomb should be out and if it is worth waiting to jump on that.

Advertisement