Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 8Meg Broadband

• 11-12-2010 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend want's wireless broadband and was looking at mobile broadband as she doesn't have a phone line, she does have NTL though and I was thinking it might be cheaper to just get UPC 8Mb broadband and then buy a wireless router and then connect the wireless router to the cable modem that UPC supply via a cat5 patch and then put the wireless router in 'bridging mode'. I should be able to do this with any random wireless router shouldn't I ?
    Also she lives in an apartment, I assume this makes no difference in UPC being able to supply her broadband given that they already supply her TV. I presume the cable modem they supply with their 8Mb broadband package is just a box that takes a co-ax input and has a few ethernet output ports, is this correct ? Can anyone who has this package confirm what hardware they supply? I tried mailing UPC themselves last week but still no reply.

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

Your assumptions are correct, but check her address on the website as not all tv-enabled towns have broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

make sure they give you the standalone modem the scientific atlanta epc2203 and not the wireless router, the cisco epc2425 and you'll be fine.

also make sure its a regular broadband router with an ethernet WAN port not an ADSL router as they won't work, but apart from that it should be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Why get 8meg? According to the latest notice on their site it's only €2 a month less than the far superior 15meg

Onikage wrote: »
    Why get 8meg? According to the latest notice on their site it's only €2 a month less than the far superior 15meg
    they do that to draw you in and want more and more!

next thing you know you're found unconscious on the floor with 10 gigabit fibre jammed in your ear! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

vibe666 wrote: »
    they do that to draw you in and want more and more!

next thing you know you're found unconscious on the floor with 10 gigabit fibre jammed in your ear! :pac:

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

make sure they give you the standalone modem the scientific atlanta epc2203 and not the wireless router, the cisco epc2425 and you'll be fine.

also make sure its a regular broadband router with an ethernet WAN port not an ADSL router as they won't work, but apart from that it should be grand.

would Usjes not be just better off with the UPC wireless router? (assuming he is planning to buy an addtional wireless router)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

subway wrote: »
    would Usjes not be just better off with the UPC wireless router? (assuming he is planning to buy an addtional wireless router)

8mb doesn't get you a wireless modem iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

The upc router is one of the worst ever not the wired one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's 7 euro difference no?
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/
    Or is there some special deal if you already have UPC TV and want broadband on top?

Where do I sign up?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    It's 7 euro difference no?
    http://www.upc.ie/broadband/
    Or is there some special deal if you already have UPC TV and want broadband on top?

No, it's 32 for 8meg and 34 for 15meg. Details here: http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So 8MB will go from €25 to €32 in January 2011 and 15MB will go from €32 to €34.
    Hmm, seems 15MB is the way to go then, if I go with them...

subway wrote: »
    no, for a couple of reasons.

1. its sh1t.
    2. its more difficult to bridge properly with your own router and almost impossible to do if you have the phoneline with them too.
    3. its really sh1t.
    Where do I sign up?
    just send an email to morpheus@thematrix.com with the subject line "I'll have the red pill please bob" and they'll get right back to you. :pac:

Advertisement