Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

f-stop

• 11-12-2010 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Why do some people say "changing f-stop" when referring to changing shutter speed ? since it is inaccurate as f stop deals with the aperture?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Such a thing should be a hanging offence if you ask me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

A "stop" is considered to be a fairly standard term for a discrete change in exposure; "f-stop" or "f-number" is typically considered to be a standard term for aperture value. It's possible they're conflating "stop" and "f-stop", but they're wrong either way.

Disregard them. Aquire currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

the_monkey wrote: »
    Why do some people say "changing f-stop" when referring to changing shutter speed ? since it is inaccurate as f stop deals with the aperture?

Where exactly have you seen evidence of this?

I mean, do people randomly call out their settings changes? I've never actually heard someone do that, so I'm guessing it's on a forum? or flickr?

You might have mis-heard, they might well have been saying they're changing their f-stop to suit the shutter speed? because that would make more sense.

Hardly worth a thread though ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The term "Stop" is a doubling or halving of the light. This can be in terms of Aperture, Shutter Speed or Attenuation (Filters)

It is also applied to ISO but this use is probably not completely accurate but understandable as a doubling of sensitivity (ISO X2) will allow the light to be reduced by a Stop.

You will also hear of images being over/under exposed in terms of Stops, or fractions of Stops eg. "It could have been a half stop brighter"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Where exactly have you seen evidence of this?

I mean, do people randomly call out their settings changes? I've never actually heard someone do that, so I'm guessing it's on a forum? or flickr?

You might have mis-heard, they might well have been saying they're changing their f-stop to suit the shutter speed? because that would make more sense.

Hardly worth a thread though ...

I've heard it speaking to other photographers, one guy who was doing AEB for HDR shots was saying he uses "2 stop" steps between each one - I was thinking it was silly to use aperture to change exp. with HDR

Not worth a thread ? , why not , it's not like it's wasting space is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I've heard it speaking to other photographers, one guy who was doing AEB for HDR shots was saying he uses "2 stop" steps between each one - I was thinking it was silly to use aperture to change exp. with HDR

Here when he's saying 2 stop increments he's not necessarily changing the aperture, just the exposure of each shot. 2 stops over exposed and another shot 2 stops under exposed. Could be doing it with a change of the aperture or shutter speed, but ya most likely shutter speed I guess? It's the f stop/stop situation a previous poster mentioned.

Now I would like to stop typing stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Keep yer knick's on :D I meant it's hardly worth a thread if all you're wondering is 'why do people say this?' When you could simply google f-stop, but ok, it's worth discussing if you're asking yourself what exactly f-stops are all about? Big difference see?

Just wait until you ad in off-cam flash ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

charybdis wrote: »
    It's

I'm a huge fan of the Oatmeal.

Never having dipped my toe int'o the world of HDR, I suppose it'd be wrong to vary the exposure by changing the stop and right to vary it by changing shutter speed.

Advertisement